* ConTeXt 2006.04.24 released
@ 2006-04-25 10:05 Taco Hoekwater
From: Taco Hoekwater @ 2006-04-25 10:05 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hello all,

I am pleased to announce that the new ConTeXt release from Hans Hagen
can be downloaded as of now from the Pragma ADE website or one of its
mirrors.

   http://www.pragma-ade.com/context/current/cont-tmf.zip
   http://context.aanhet.net/context/current/cont-tmf.zip
   http://mirror.contextgarden.net/context/current/cont-tmf.zip

The current release has version 2006.04.24

A very short list of changes is given below. As usual, there is an
html page with more detailed release notes available on the Wiki, see:

   http://wiki.contextgarden.net/Release_Notes

New features since 20006.03.25:
* The latest version of the bib module is included
* Cont-ext.zip updated, now also contains f-urwgothic
* Support for ancient greek
* A regime definition for windows codepage 1250
* Some extra unicode support (tables 32,33,251)
* Improvements to register sorting together with newtexutil
* Textools now helps create module packages
* Colors can inherit from palette colors
* Support for buffer nesting
* Modules can now be loaded with arguments
* New math environments: \startintertext and \startsubstack
* Linenumbering improved/extended
* Marginfloat placement improvements
* Gravitation&levitation of top and bottom floats
* Texexec now supports a separate beta tree (for ConTeXt testers)
* Float combinations
* \symbol{whatever} is now also allowed
* The Context version is now given in the PDF Creator field
* Pretty typing of C code
* Some natural table extensions

Bugs fixed since 20006.03.25:
* Textext() now works together with newtexexec.
* Overlong MetaPost lines are automatically split now
* Formula referencing and formulanumber placement problems
* Active french punctuation was inactive
* Accents in MetaPost picture labels did not work
* Spaces in urls were ignored sometimes
* Better subsentence handling
* Better roundtripping of 8bit characters
* Two small bugs in itemizations
* Local and non-spacing footnotes had display problems
* Textbackground had problems next to pagebreaks
* And more ...

Happy TeXing,

Taco Hoekwater

* Re: ConTeXt 2006.04.24 released
@ 2006-04-25 11:50 ` Nikolai Weibull
From: Nikolai Weibull @ 2006-04-25 11:50 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 4/25/06, Taco Hoekwater <taco@elvenkind.com> wrote:
> * New math environments: \startintertext and \startsubstack

Is ConTeXt coming closer to what LaTeX and Nath has in way of math
support?  I.e., are we more or less incorporating the nice stuff from
the two into ConTeXt now?

  nikolai

* Re: ConTeXt 2006.04.24 released
@ 2006-04-25 12:01   ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2006-04-25 12:01 UTC (permalink / raw)

Nikolai Weibull wrote:
> On 4/25/06, Taco Hoekwater <taco@elvenkind.com> wrote:
>
>> * New math environments: \startintertext and \startsubstack
>>

> Is ConTeXt coming closer to what LaTeX and Nath has in way of math
> support?  I.e., are we more or less incorporating the nice stuff from
> the two into ConTeXt now?

i'll have a look at nath later this year

Hans

                                          Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE

@ 2006-04-25 12:11     ` Nikolai Weibull
From: Nikolai Weibull @ 2006-04-25 12:11 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 4/25/06, Hans Hagen <pragma@wxs.nl> wrote:

> Nikolai Weibull wrote:

> > On 4/25/06, Taco Hoekwater <taco@elvenkind.com> wrote:

> > > * New math environments: \startintertext and \startsubstack

> > Is ConTeXt coming closer to what LaTeX and Nath has in way of math
> > support?  I.e., are we more or less incorporating the nice stuff from
> > the two into ConTeXt now?

> i'll have a look at nath later this year

Ah, OK.  No worries.  Just checking in.  I"ve been following ConTeXt
development rather lazily lately, as I haven't been doing any writing
for quite some time.

  nikolai

* Re: ConTeXt 2006.04.24 released
@ 2006-04-25 16:12   ` Aditya Mahajan
From: Aditya Mahajan @ 2006-04-25 16:12 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Tue, 25 Apr 2006, Nikolai Weibull wrote:

> On 4/25/06, Taco Hoekwater <taco@elvenkind.com> wrote:
>> * New math environments: \startintertext and \startsubstack
>
> Is ConTeXt coming closer to what LaTeX and Nath has in way of math
> support?  I.e., are we more or less incorporating the nice stuff from
> the two into ConTeXt now?

I have been playing around with context math to see if I can do
everything that latex+amsmath can do and the answer is yes. Have a
look at http://dl.contextgarden.net/myway/mathalign.pdf There are
other things that I have tested (using matrix and cases) and will be
updating the myway document soon. The functionality of following latex
environments is there

amsmath
=======
align
gather
alignat
split
lgather (from mathtools)
flalign
aligned  (limited features)
gathered (limited features)
lgathered(limited features)
matrix
pmatrix
bmatrix
Bmatrix
vmatrix
Vmatrix
cases
substack
intertext

The syntax is different, and the internals are different, so you do
not get the  "same result" as latex. If you really want exact same
result, you can coax context to do so, but I do not think that it is
worth the trouble.

In some cases, the context support is much better than latex+packages.
See what can be done for numbered multicolumn aligns, which AFAIK are
hard to do in latex.

There are a few (very few) features missing to be able to reproduce
ALL the functionality of amsmath. One is multline equation
environment, but I do not know how all its details in amsmath, so can
not comment on whether the same is doable with context. Another
missing feature (I will send a detailed feature request soon) is that
matrices are always center aligned. I would like to have
\startmatrix[location=top|bottom|middle] to faithfully reproduce
aligned series of environments. This should not be too hard to do,
\vcenter is hard coded in matrix, it needs to be configurable to \vtop
and \vbottom.

With such a feature, it is easy to provide a \wall ... \return thing
like Nath. The other features of Nath are too extreme, and can not be
done right now. You need to wait till Hans weaves some more magic.

If you have some specific details in mind, please post them. I am very
interested in knowing myself on how much can the context math
environments be pushed :-)

Aditya

--
Aditya Mahajan, EECS Systems, University of Michigan
http://www.eecs.umich.edu/~adityam || Ph: 7342624008