* Math: Matrix question
@ 2006-06-15 11:30 Tobias Burnus
From: Tobias Burnus @ 2006-06-15 11:30 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hello,

maybe someone has an idea how to typeset the following

    c d
 a [E F]
 b [G H]

Where EFGH is a matrix surrounded by "( )" and with "a b c d" I want to
label the columns and rows.
I especially struggle with aligning c and d and having the parenteses.

Any ideas are highly welcome.

Tobias

* Re: Math: Matrix question
@ 2006-06-15 13:47 ` Otared Kavian
From: Otared Kavian @ 2006-06-15 13:47 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi Tobias,

Probably it is possible to do want with mathalign stuff developped in
ConTeXt, but the following gives a reasonable result (using only
Plain TeX commands...):

$$\eqalign{
&\matrix{ \hphantom{\left({E}\right.} c & d \cr} \cr
\matrix{
a\cr
b\cr}\; &\pmatrix{
E & F \cr
G & H \cr} \cr
}$$

\bye

Best regards: OK

On 15 juin 2006, at 13:30, Tobias Burnus wrote:

> Hello,
>
> maybe someone has an idea how to typeset the following
>
>     c d
>  a [E F]
>  b [G H]
>
> Where EFGH is a matrix surrounded by "( )" and with "a b c d" I
> want to
> label the columns and rows.
> I especially struggle with aligning c and d and having the parenteses.
>
> Any ideas are highly welcome.
>
> Tobias

* Re: Math: Matrix question
@ 2006-06-15 14:10   ` Tobias Burnus
From: Tobias Burnus @ 2006-06-15 14:10 UTC (permalink / raw)

Otared Kavian schrieb:
> Hi Tobias,
>
> Probably it is possible to do want with mathalign stuff developped in
> ConTeXt, but the following gives a reasonable result (using only
> Plain TeX commands...):

Well, this was the work-around I used, however, if I replace E by
EEEEEEEE, then the alignment gets lost.
(I worked around with \,\>\quad\qquad etc., but this is not so nice.)

Tobias

* Re: Math: Matrix question
@ 2006-06-15 14:19 ` Aditya Mahajan
From: Aditya Mahajan @ 2006-06-15 14:19 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Thu, 15 Jun 2006, Tobias Burnus wrote:

> Hello,
>
> maybe someone has an idea how to typeset the following
>
>    c d
> a [E F]
> b [G H]
>
> Where EFGH is a matrix surrounded by "( )" and with "a b c d" I want to
> label the columns and rows.
> I especially struggle with aligning c and d and having the parenteses.

Plain tex provides \bordermatrix. Not configurable, but will suit your
needs.

\startformula
\bordermatrix{
   a & b & c & d \cr