* bib module beta test
@ 2006-06-22  9:58 Taco Hoekwater
From: Taco Hoekwater @ 2006-06-22  9:58 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi,

Some of you may have missed this, but I have posted a beta of the
bibliographic module on http://modules.contextgarden.net/bib

I would appreciate it if people that have documents with large
bibliographies would download it and run their files. Some mayor
stuff has changed, and I really need confirmation that I have not
broken backward compatibility.

TIA, Taco

* Re: bib module beta test
@ 2006-06-22 12:19 ` Ulf Martin
From: Ulf Martin @ 2006-06-22 12:19 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi,

I'd like to try the new bib module, but --
how to install ConTeXt modules?

Taco Hoekwater schrieb:
> Some of you may have missed this, but I have posted a beta of the
> bibliographic module on http://modules.contextgarden.net/bib

 From the zip file I guess that I have to distribute the files into
appropriate directories of my TeX distro. Is there a script for this?
Maybe some fancy texexec something?

There does not seem to be an explanation of this in
http://modules.contextgarden.net/
or anywhere else in contextgarden.

Up to now I only used i-install'd stuff.

Is there an eqivalent to LaTeX packages?

Thanks & Cheers
Ulf

* Re: bib module beta test
@ 2006-06-22 14:08   ` Taco Hoekwater
From: Taco Hoekwater @ 2006-06-22 14:08 UTC (permalink / raw)

Ulf Martin wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'd like to try the new bib module, but --
> how to install ConTeXt modules?

It is really simple, you only have to unzip the file in one
of the texmf trees and run mktexlsr afterwards.

However: which tree you need to use depends on your TeX
distribution so I cannot help you with that (I work on Linux)

Cheers, taco

* Re: bib module beta test
@ 2006-06-22 15:35 ` Aditya Mahajan
From: Aditya Mahajan @ 2006-06-22 15:35 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Thu, 22 Jun 2006, Taco Hoekwater wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Some of you may have missed this, but I have posted a beta of the
> bibliographic module on http://modules.contextgarden.net/bib
>
> I would appreciate it if people that have documents with large
> bibliographies would download it and run their files. Some mayor
> stuff has changed, and I really need confirmation that I have not
> broken backward compatibility.

Something is wrong with alternative=num|num-fr. Consider

%------test.tex---------
\usemodule[bib]

\setuppublications[alternative=num]
% num-fr also does not work

\starttext
  The manual of bib||module is \cite[me].
\placepublications
\stoptext

%-------------------------------

%-------test.bbl------------------
\startpublication[k=me,
t=manual,
a=Hoekwater,
y=2006,
s=TH2006,
n=1,
u=http://contextgarden.net/Bibliography]
\author[]{Taco}[T.]{}{Hoekwater}
\title{\CONTEXT\ Publication Module, The user documententation}
\pubyear{2006}
\note{In case you didn't know: it's the document you are reading now}
\pages{14}
\stoppublication

%------------------------------------------------------------

The output looks like

The manual of bib--module is [1].

[] Taco Hoekwater ConTEXt Publication Module, The user
documententation. 14p.
In case you didn’t know: it’s the document you are reading now.

Notice the empty brackets in the list of publications.

Aditya

* Re: bib module beta test
@ 2006-06-23 10:22   ` Taco Hoekwater
From: Taco Hoekwater @ 2006-06-23 10:22 UTC (permalink / raw)

Aditya Mahajan wrote:
> On Thu, 22 Jun 2006, Taco Hoekwater wrote:
>
> Something is wrong with alternative=num|num-fr. Consider

Thanks for testing. I've uploaded a new version that fixes
this problem as well as the suddenly required

	\placepublications[criterium=previous]

(that behaviour is now default)

Cheers, taco

* Re: bib module beta test
@ 2006-06-23 16:05     ` Aditya Mahajan
From: Aditya Mahajan @ 2006-06-23 16:05 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Fri, 23 Jun 2006, Taco Hoekwater wrote:

> Aditya Mahajan wrote:
>> On Thu, 22 Jun 2006, Taco Hoekwater wrote:
>>
>> Something is wrong with alternative=num|num-fr. Consider
>
> Thanks for testing. I've uploaded a new version that fixes
> this problem as well as the suddenly required
>
> 	\placepublications[criterium=previous]

All my examples work fine with the new release. I have not tested the
new features yet. However, I observed something strange with bibtex.

Does bibtex only look at the files in the $TEXMFLOCAL tree?
Specifically, does it only check files in the ls-R inside $TEXMFLOCAL
tree? Earlier I used to put all the IEEEfull and IEEEabrv bib files in
texmf-local and bibtex could find them happily. Now, to organize
things better, I do not touch texmf-local but put all my "personal"
files in texmf-project. Bibtex can not seem to find the bib files in
texmf-project, while texmfstart --locate finds it. So, I am guessing
that bibtex does not look in ls-R in all the trees in $TEXMF.

Is this expected behaviour, or is something misconfigured on my
computer.

Aditya

PS: I am using the bibtex that comes with the windows stand alone
installer of context. This is what bibtex -version says

BibTeX 0.99c (Web2C 7.5.5)
kpathsea version 3.5.5
Copyright (C) 1997-2005 Oren Patashnik.
Kpathsea is copyright (C) 1997-2005 Karl Berry and Olaf Weber.
There is NO warranty.  Redistribution of this software is
covered by the terms of both the BibTeX copyright and
the Lesser GNU General Public License.
For more information about these matters, see the file
named COPYING and the BibTeX source.
Primary author of BibTeX: Oren Patashnik.
Kpathsea written by Karl Berry and others.

* Re: bib module beta test
@ 2006-06-24 12:00       ` Taco Hoekwater
From: Taco Hoekwater @ 2006-06-24 12:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

Aditya Mahajan wrote:

> Is this expected behaviour, or is something misconfigured on my
> computer.

bibtex reads bib database files in BIBINPUTS. On my machine, that is:

   .:$TEXMF/bibtex/bib//

Cheers, Taco

* Re: bib module beta test
@ 2006-06-24 20:19         ` Aditya Mahajan
From: Aditya Mahajan @ 2006-06-24 20:19 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Sat, 24 Jun 2006, Taco Hoekwater wrote:

> Aditya Mahajan wrote:
>>
>> Is this expected behaviour, or is something misconfigured on my
>> computer.
>
> bibtex reads bib database files in BIBINPUTS. On my machine, that is:
>
>   .:$TEXMF/bibtex/bib//

Thanks. I had a left over bibinput from a previous installation.

Aditya