* the closing bracket (structuring syntax)
@ 2006-08-10 19:46 Steffen Wolfrum
From: Steffen Wolfrum @ 2006-08-10 19:46 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi,

in XML and alike there is a concept of dedicated start/stop in
formatting:

<begin heading> ... <end heading >
<begin footnote> ... <end footnote >
<begin italic> ... <end italic>

But in ConTeXt/TeX we have always the same closing syntax "}". That
makes reading the code not easier.

Is there a workaround to define the closing more precisely (like the
examples above),
so that finding a "}" in a ConTeXt source lets me distinguish what
it's about?

But in such a way that the file still can be processed as a regular
ConTeXt file?

Steffen

* Re: the closing bracket (structuring syntax)
@ 2006-08-10 20:44 ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2006-08-10 20:44 UTC (permalink / raw)

Steffen Wolfrum wrote:
> Hi,
>
> in XML and alike there is a concept of dedicated start/stop in
> formatting:
>
> <begin heading> ... <end heading >
> <begin footnote> ... <end footnote >
> <begin italic> ... <end italic>
>
> But in ConTeXt/TeX we have always the same closing syntax "}". That
> makes reading the code not easier.
>
> Is there a workaround to define the closing more precisely (like the
> examples above),
> so that finding a "}" in a ConTeXt source lets me distinguish what
> it's about?
>
> But in such a way that the file still can be processed as a regular
> ConTeXt file?

its' no problem to define most commands as start/stop, however keep in
mind that some start/stop constructs (like tables) pick up pieces in
order to store them

so, if some commands need start/stop variants ... just make me a list
and we'll see what we can do about it

Hans

                                          Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE

@ 2006-08-10 20:47 ` Aditya Mahajan
From: Aditya Mahajan @ 2006-08-10 20:47 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Thu, 10 Aug 2006, Steffen Wolfrum wrote:

> Hi,
>
> in XML and alike there is a concept of dedicated start/stop in
> formatting:
>
> <begin heading> ... <end heading >
> <begin footnote> ... <end footnote >
> <begin italic> ... <end italic>
>
> But in ConTeXt/TeX we have always the same closing syntax "}". That
> makes reading the code not easier.

You can always define your own startstop.

\definestartstop[italic][before={\bgroup \it},after={\egroup}]

and then do

\startitalic
  This is italic
\stopitalic

When a command takes an optional agrument, you can do use something like
this

\def\startfootnote%
    {\unskip\dosingleempty\dostartfootnote}

\def\dostartfootnote[#1]#2\stopfootnote%
   {\footnote[#1]{#2}}

You can make such definitions of all your frequently used environments
(or, if you prefer, write in XML and let ConTeXt handle XML).

> Is there a workaround to define the closing more precisely (like the
> examples above),
> so that finding a "}" in a ConTeXt source lets me distinguish what
> it's about?

There are \bgroup...\egroup which is same as {...} for all practical
purposes.

Aditya

* Re: the closing bracket (structuring syntax)
@ 2006-08-10 20:52   ` Steffen Wolfrum
From: Steffen Wolfrum @ 2006-08-10 20:52 UTC (permalink / raw)

Thank you.

\footnote
\chapter	\section ...
\it	\bf	\sc	\mr	\cap
\language[...]

That would be quite a good start.

Steffen

@ 2006-08-13 13:29   ` Steffen Wolfrum
From: Steffen Wolfrum @ 2006-08-13 13:29 UTC (permalink / raw)

Am 10.08.2006 um 22:47 schrieb Aditya Mahajan:

> You can always define your own startstop.
>
> \definestartstop[italic][before={\bgroup \it},after={\egroup}]
>
> and then do
>
> \startitalic
>   This is italic
> \stopitalic
>
> When a command takes an optional agrument, you can do use something
> like
> this
>
> \def\startfootnote%
>     {\unskip\dosingleempty\dostartfootnote}
>
> \def\dostartfootnote[#1]#2\stopfootnote%
>    {\footnote[#1]{#2}}

And what would be the opposite?

For example \startquote ... \stopquote
to something like {MyQuote ... }

@ 2006-08-14  6:13     ` Steffen Wolfrum
From: Steffen Wolfrum @ 2006-08-14  6:13 UTC (permalink / raw)

Am 13.08.2006 um 15:29 schrieb Steffen Wolfrum:

> And what would be the opposite?
>
> For example \startquote ... \stopquote
> to something like {MyQuote ... }
>
> Steffen

\def\MyQuote#1{\startquote#1\stopquote}

\MyQuote{something to be quoted}

... should work OK, right?

@ 2006-08-14 22:26     ` Aditya Mahajan
From: Aditya Mahajan @ 2006-08-14 22:26 UTC (permalink / raw)

> And what would be the opposite?
>
> For example \startquote ... \stopquote
> to something like {\MyQuote ... }

AFAIK, there is no easy way to do this.

Aditya

* Re: the closing bracket (structuring syntax)
@ 2006-08-15 14:30       ` Aditya Mahajan
From: Aditya Mahajan @ 2006-08-15 14:30 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Mon, 14 Aug 2006, Steffen Wolfrum wrote:

> Am 13.08.2006 um 15:29 schrieb Steffen Wolfrum:
>
>> And what would be the opposite?
>>
>> For example \startquote ... \stopquote
>> to something like {MyQuote ... }
>>
>> Steffen
>

> \def\MyQuote#1{\startquote#1\stopquote}
>
> \MyQuote{something to be quoted}
>

> ... should work OK, right?

Yes, there is also

\def\MyQuote{\groupedcommand{\startquote}{\stopquote}}

which does not read the argument and is better in some cases.

Aditya

* Re: the closing bracket (structuring syntax)
@ 2006-09-13  2:34       ` Aditya Mahajan
From: Aditya Mahajan @ 2006-09-13  2:34 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Mon, 14 Aug 2006, Aditya Mahajan wrote:

>> And what would be the opposite?
>>
>> For example \startquote ... \stopquote
>> to something like {\MyQuote ... }
>
> AFAIK, there is no easy way to do this.

One can use \aftergroup trickery.

\def\MyQuote{\symbol[leftquote]\aftergroup\endMyQuote}
\def\endMyQuote{\symbol[rightquote]}

\starttext
{\MyQuote This is a test}

\mainlanguage[fr]