From: Aditya Mahajan <adityam@umich.edu>
Subject: Re: 2DOWN imposition gives blank pages
Date: Wed, 6 Sep 2006 13:57:19 -0400 (EDT)	[thread overview]

On Wed, 6 Sep 2006, Sanjoy Mahajan wrote:

> I've mostly understood arranging but I cannot figure out how to make
> 2SIDE place a blank page (page 0, to not affect the page numbering) on
> the left half of the first arranged sheet and carry on as normal.  To
> illustrate, where the enclosed numbers are the unarranged numbers:
>
> p.1: | |1|
> p.2: |2|3|
> p.3: |4|5|
>
> That way each arranged sheet (p.1,2, or 3) will be a spread from the
> final book, plus one saves paper.
>
> Also my hopes for a cheap hack also were dashed.  I tried inserting a
> \null\page[blank] before the \chapter{First chapter}.  But with
> doublesided pagenumbering, the chapter starts only on an odd page, so
> the single blank page turns into two blank pages.

How about if you change the meaning of odd and even. That is,

set up everything so that chapters start from even page, setuplayout
as a mirror image of the layout that you want, setupheaders and
footers in a mirror manner. Finally insert a blank page right at the
begining; you can use \startTEXpage[width=\paperwidth,
height=\paperheight] and this will not affect the normal
pagenumbering.

Then you can fool context to do what you want.

Aditya