* overlay page background missing
@ 2006-11-02 16:53 Paul Jones
From: Paul Jones @ 2006-11-02 16:53 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hello all,

I am trying to put together a wedding book.  I would like a nice
watermark behind the text on each page.  Left page containing the word
'together', and right page containing the word 'forever'.  I can get
this done with an overlay, but it is always centered in the page.  So
after reading some threads about layers in overlays I thought this
might work.  Putting a layer into an overlay does give me the ability
to positiong the words, but I can no longer get them to show up on all
of the pages.  Am I doing this in a resonable way?  Why did the
setupbackgrounds stop working when I put the layer into the overlay?

Much thanks,
Paul

%output=pdf

\setupcolors[state=start]

\setupbackgrounds[page][background={WatermarkOverlay}]

\startsetups WatermarkSetup
         \doifoddpageelse
                {\framed[frame=off,foregroundcolor=gray]
                {\scale[sx=12,sy=12]
                {\rotate[rotation=20.0]{forever}}}}

                {\framed[frame=off,foregroundcolor=gray]
                {\scale[sx=12,sy=12]
                {\rotate[rotation=20.0]{together}}}}
\stopsetups

\definelayer[WatermarkLayer]
\setlayer[WatermarkLayer][hoffset=-4cm,voffset=12cm]{\setups{WatermarkSetup}}

\defineoverlay[WatermarkOverlay][{\placelayer[WatermarkLayer]}]

\starttext
\framed[height=\textheight, width=\textwidth,
background={WatermarkOverlay}, frame=on]{overlay frame}
\chapter{first}  \dorecurse{10}{\input tufte  }
\chapter{second} \dorecurse{10}{\input davis  }
\chapter{third}  \dorecurse{10}{\input zapf   }
\stoptext

* Re: overlay page background missing
@ 2006-11-02 17:15 ` Mojca Miklavec
From: Mojca Miklavec @ 2006-11-02 17:15 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 11/2/06, Paul Jones wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> I am trying to put together a wedding book.  I would like a nice
> watermark behind the text on each page.  Left page containing the word
> 'together', and right page containing the word 'forever'.  I can get
> this done with an overlay, but it is always centered in the page.  So
> after reading some threads about layers in overlays I thought this
> might work.  Putting a layer into an overlay does give me the ability
> to positiong the words, but I can no longer get them to show up on all
> of the pages.  Am I doing this in a resonable way?  Why did the
> setupbackgrounds stop working when I put the layer into the overlay?
>
> Much thanks,
> Paul
>
> %output=pdf
> \setuppagenumbering[alternative=doublesided]
>
> \setupcolors[state=start]
>
> \setupbackgrounds[page][background={WatermarkOverlay}]
>
> \startsetups WatermarkSetup
>          \doifoddpageelse
>                 {\framed[frame=off,foregroundcolor=gray]
>                 {\scale[sx=12,sy=12]
>                 {\rotate[rotation=20.0]{forever}}}}
>
>                 {\framed[frame=off,foregroundcolor=gray]
>                 {\scale[sx=12,sy=12]
>                 {\rotate[rotation=20.0]{together}}}}
> \stopsetups
>
> \definelayer[WatermarkLayer]
> \setlayer[WatermarkLayer][hoffset=-4cm,voffset=12cm]{\setups{WatermarkSetup}}
>
> \defineoverlay[WatermarkOverlay][{\placelayer[WatermarkLayer]}]
>

> \starttext
> \framed[height=\textheight, width=\textwidth,
> background={WatermarkOverlay}, frame=on]{overlay frame}
> \chapter{first}  \dorecurse{10}{\input tufte  }
> \chapter{second} \dorecurse{10}{\input davis  }
> \chapter{third}  \dorecurse{10}{\input zapf   }
> \stoptext

Does \setupheadertexts[\setups{WatermarkSetup}] help?

Mojca

* Re: overlay page background missing
@ 2006-11-02 17:42   ` Paul Jones
       [not found]     ` <6faad9f00611020953r48eedeb6k51011810e76fd602@mail.gmail.com>
From: Paul Jones @ 2006-11-02 17:42 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 11/2/06, Mojca Miklavec <mojca.miklavec.lists@gmail.com> wrote:
> Does \setupheadertexts[\setups{WatermarkSetup}] help?
>
> Mojca

That did get the overlay to display on every page, but I am planning
on using the setupheadertexts to display other headers on the page.  I
also lose the ability to position the layer by placing the setup
directly in the header.  I was hoping that by placing a layer into an
overlay I would get the best of both commands.

This does give me some ideas for other alternatives as well...back to
the lab for more experiments.

Thanks,
paul

* Re: overlay page background missing
       [not found]       ` <f35545860611021008x2fd2a323k61cc9d95ab75a617@mail.gmail.com>
@ 2006-11-02 18:41         ` Mojca Miklavec
From: Mojca Miklavec @ 2006-11-02 18:41 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 11/2/06, Paul Jones wrote:
> You gave me hope, but it was dashed upon further experimentation.

If everything else fails, here's another idea about what you can do in
such cases (or better: what I do when I have no better idea how to
tell to TeX where exactly to place things):

% "draw \sometxt{forever} withcolor red" is broken at the moment,
% but used to/should(?) work otherwise

\startuniqueMPgraphic{forever}
draw \sometxt{\color[red]{forever}} scaled 15 rotated 30 shifted (-1cm,8cm);
setbounds currentpicture to unitsquare xyscaled (OverlayWidth,OverlayHeight);
\stopuniqueMPgraphic

\defineoverlay[overlay forever][{\uniqueMPgraphic{forever}}]
\setupbackgrounds[page][background=overlay forever]

Hope that helps,
    Mojca

* Re: overlay page background missing
@ 2006-11-02 23:05           ` Paul Jones
From: Paul Jones @ 2006-11-02 23:05 UTC (permalink / raw)

So it looks like the problem boils down to this:

The overlay with a layer inside it displays fine when used in the
framed background.

\framed[height=\textheight,
width=\textwidth,background={WatermarkOverlay}, frame=on]{overlay
frame}

But it does not display anything when used in the setupbackgrounds background.

\setupbackgrounds[page][background={WatermarkOverlay}]

Any ideas why?

paul

On 11/2/06, Mojca Miklavec <mojca.miklavec.lists@gmail.com> wrote:

> % "draw \sometxt{forever} withcolor red" is broken at the moment,
> % but used to/should(?) work otherwise

Thanks for the hint.  I don't know anything about mp.  Is there a
replacement for the broken draw \sometxt?

Thanks again.
paul

* Re: overlay page background missing
@ 2006-11-03  2:36             ` Aditya Mahajan
From: Aditya Mahajan @ 2006-11-03  2:36 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Thu, 2 Nov 2006, Paul Jones wrote:

> On 11/2/06, Mojca Miklavec <mojca.miklavec.lists@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> % "draw \sometxt{forever} withcolor red" is broken at the moment,
>> % but used to/should(?) work otherwise
>>

> Thanks for the hint.  I don't know anything about mp.  Is there a
> replacement for the broken draw \sometxt?

draw \sometxt{\red{forever}} ;

should work.

Now on a question of my own, is it possible to redefine \sometxt so
that

\sometxt{abc}

is equivalent to

\sometxt{\mymacro{abc}}

I find myself writing a lot of code like this

label.top(\sometxt{\parbox{A long label}}, z1 ) ;

This is really low priority, but something like this will be nice to
have.

Aditya

* Re: overlay page background missing
@ 2006-11-03 16:45               ` Mojca Miklavec
From: Mojca Miklavec @ 2006-11-03 16:45 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 11/3/06, Aditya Mahajan wrote:
> On Thu, 2 Nov 2006, Paul Jones wrote:
> >
> > On 11/2/06, Mojca Miklavec wrote:
> >>
> >> % "draw \sometxt{forever} withcolor red" is broken at the moment,
> >> % but used to/should(?) work otherwise
> >>

> > Thanks for the hint.  I don't know anything about mp.  Is there a
> > replacement for the broken draw \sometxt?

Well ... I meant "broken" in the sense that "draw \sometxt{this}
withcolor red" is black instead of being red, but it should work
unless your ConTeXt distribution is too old.

> draw \sometxt{\red{forever}} ;
>
> should work.

True.

> Now on a question of my own, is it possible to redefine \sometxt so
> that
>
> \sometxt{abc}
>
> is equivalent to
>
> \sometxt{\mymacro{abc}}
>
> I find myself writing a lot of code like this
>
> label.top(\sometxt{\parbox{A long label}}, z1 ) ;
>
> This is really low priority, but something like this will be nice to
> have.

Here's my vote as well. I would also like to have a mechanism which
would enable easier definition of commands to be processed with
\sometxt at the end. (I used some very dirty macros which redefined
\sometxt temporary for that purpose, but that's far from ideal.)

Mojca

* Re: overlay page background missing
@ 2006-11-03 17:28   ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2006-11-03 17:28 UTC (permalink / raw)

Mojca Miklavec wrote:
> On 11/2/06, Paul Jones wrote:
>
>> Hello all,
>>
>> I am trying to put together a wedding book.  I would like a nice
>> watermark behind the text on each page.  Left page containing the word
>> 'together', and right page containing the word 'forever'.  I can get
>> this done with an overlay, but it is always centered in the page.  So
>> after reading some threads about layers in overlays I thought this
>> might work.  Putting a layer into an overlay does give me the ability
>> to positiong the words, but I can no longer get them to show up on all
>> of the pages.  Am I doing this in a resonable way?  Why did the
>> setupbackgrounds stop working when I put the layer into the overlay?
>>
>> Much thanks,
>> Paul
>>
>> %output=pdf
>> \setuppagenumbering[alternative=doublesided]
>>
>> \setupcolors[state=start]
>>
>> \setupbackgrounds[page][background={WatermarkOverlay}]
>>
>> \startsetups WatermarkSetup
>>          \doifoddpageelse
>>                 {\framed[frame=off,foregroundcolor=gray]
>>                 {\scale[sx=12,sy=12]
>>                 {\rotate[rotation=20.0]{forever}}}}
>>
>>                 {\framed[frame=off,foregroundcolor=gray]
>>                 {\scale[sx=12,sy=12]
>>                 {\rotate[rotation=20.0]{together}}}}
>> \stopsetups
>>
>> \definelayer[WatermarkLayer]
>> \setlayer[WatermarkLayer][hoffset=-4cm,voffset=12cm]{\setups{WatermarkSetup}}
>>
>> \defineoverlay[WatermarkOverlay][{\placelayer[WatermarkLayer]}]
>>

>> \starttext
>> \framed[height=\textheight, width=\textwidth,
>> background={WatermarkOverlay}, frame=on]{overlay frame}
>> \chapter{first}  \dorecurse{10}{\input tufte  }
>> \chapter{second} \dorecurse{10}{\input davis  }
>> \chapter{third}  \dorecurse{10}{\input zapf   }
>> \stoptext
>>

> Does \setupheadertexts[\setups{WatermarkSetup}] help?

you can also set a layer's state=repeat

                                          Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE

@ 2006-11-03 17:31             ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2006-11-03 17:31 UTC (permalink / raw)

Paul Jones wrote:
> So it looks like the problem boils down to this:
>
> The overlay with a layer inside it displays fine when used in the
> framed background.
>
> \framed[height=\textheight,
> width=\textwidth,background={WatermarkOverlay}, frame=on]{overlay
> frame}
>
> But it does not display anything when used in the setupbackgrounds background.
>
> \setupbackgrounds[page][background={WatermarkOverlay}]
>
> Any ideas why?

hm, backgrounds should work ok; and page backgrounds are recalculated for each page

Hans

                                          Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE

@ 2006-11-03 19:40                 ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2006-11-03 19:40 UTC (permalink / raw)

Mojca Miklavec wrote:
> On 11/3/06, Aditya Mahajan wrote:

>>> Thanks for the hint.  I don't know anything about mp.  Is there a
>>> replacement for the broken draw \sometxt?
>>>

> Well ... I meant "broken" in the sense that "draw \sometxt{this}
> withcolor red" is black instead of being red, but it should work
> unless your ConTeXt distribution is too old.
>

>> draw \sometxt{\red{forever}} ;
>>
>> should work.
>>

> True.
>

>> Now on a question of my own, is it possible to redefine \sometxt so
>> that
>>
>> \sometxt{abc}
>>
>> is equivalent to
>>
>> \sometxt{\mymacro{abc}}
>>
>> I find myself writing a lot of code like this
>>
>> label.top(\sometxt{\parbox{A long label}}, z1 ) ;
>>
>> This is really low priority, but something like this will be nice to
>> have.
>>

> Here's my vote as well. I would also like to have a mechanism which
> would enable easier definition of commands to be processed with
> \sometxt at the end. (I used some very dirty macros which redefined
> \sometxt temporary for that purpose, but that's far from ideal.)

hm, always hungry for new features ... i assume that one of you then
writes a nice myway about  \sometxt  cum suis  as well as a wiki entry

next beta:

% \definetextext[framed]{\framed}
%
% \startMPcode
%     draw \sometxt[framed]{black} rotated 45 ;
% \stopMPcode

Hans

                                          Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE

@ 2006-11-04 14:22               ` Paul Jones
From: Paul Jones @ 2006-11-04 14:22 UTC (permalink / raw)

> > The overlay with a layer inside it displays fine when used in the
> > framed background.
> >
> > \framed[height=\textheight,
> > width=\textwidth,background={WatermarkOverlay}, frame=on]{overlay
> > frame}
> >
> > But it does not display anything when used in the setupbackgrounds background.
> >
> > \setupbackgrounds[page][background={WatermarkOverlay}]
> >
> > Any ideas why?
> >
> hm, backgrounds should work ok; and page backgrounds are recalculated for each page

Can you see any reason why it would not be working?  In the example
above, the overlay is displayed as the background of the frame, but
not as the background for the entire document?  Can you give any
directions on where to look for further documentation/ideas?  I
basically just need to be able to position a watermark on the back of
every page, possibley different ones for left and right pages.

Thank you,
paul

* Re: overlay page background missing
@ 2006-11-04 16:01                 ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2006-11-04 16:01 UTC (permalink / raw)

Paul Jones wrote:
>>> The overlay with a layer inside it displays fine when used in the
>>> framed background.
>>>
>>> \framed[height=\textheight,
>>> width=\textwidth,background={WatermarkOverlay}, frame=on]{overlay
>>> frame}
>>>
>>> But it does not display anything when used in the setupbackgrounds background.
>>>
>>> \setupbackgrounds[page][background={WatermarkOverlay}]
>>>
>>> Any ideas why?
>>>

>> hm, backgrounds should work ok; and page backgrounds are recalculated for each page
>>

> Can you see any reason why it would not be working?  In the example
> above, the overlay is displayed as the background of the frame, but
> not as the background for the entire document?  Can you give any
> directions on where to look for further documentation/ideas?  I
> basically just need to be able to position a watermark on the back of
> every page, possibley different ones for left and right pages.

can you send small test file?

Hans

                                          Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE

@ 2006-11-05  3:33                   ` Paul Jones
From: Paul Jones @ 2006-11-05  3:33 UTC (permalink / raw)

> can you send small test file?

Here you go...

In case the mail server strips attachments, the contents of the
attached file are also in the original post of this thread.

Thank you,
paul

[-- Attachment #2: overlay.tex --]

* Re: overlay page background missing
@ 2006-11-05 17:08                     ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2006-11-05 17:08 UTC (permalink / raw)

Paul Jones wrote:
>> can you send small test file?
>
> Here you go...
>
> In case the mail server strips attachments, the contents of the
> attached file are also in the original post of this thread.
\setuppagenumbering
  [alternative=doublesided]

\setupcolors
  [state=start]

\setupbackgrounds
 [leftpage]
 [background=Watermark-Left]

\setupbackgrounds
 [rightpage]
 [background=Watermark-Right]

\definelayer
  [Watermark-Left]
  [repeat=yes,
   width=\paperwidth,
   height=\paperheight]

\definelayer
  [Watermark-Right]
  [repeat=yes,
   width=\paperwidth,
   height=\paperheight]

\setlayerframed
  [Watermark-Left]
  [preset=middle]
  [foregroundcolor=red]
  {\scale[sx=12,sy=12]{\rotate[rotation=20.0]{forever}}}

\setlayerframed
  [Watermark-Right]
  [preset=middle]
  [foregroundcolor=red]
  {\scale[sx=12,sy=12]{\rotate[rotation=-20.0]{together}}}

\starttext
    \chapter{first}  \dorecurse{30}{\input tufte  }
\stoptext

                                          Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE

@ 2006-11-06 13:24                       ` Paul Jones
From: Paul Jones @ 2006-11-06 13:24 UTC (permalink / raw)

Thank you so much.  This is exactly what I needed.  I will add this to the wiki.

Thank you,
paul