* Module for ptj
@ 2006-11-25  8:04 Thomas A. Schmitz
From: Thomas A. Schmitz @ 2006-11-25  8:04 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi Aditya,

I've just played some with your module for the PracTeX journal. This
is very nice to have, I'm absolutely thrilled! When I wrote for them,
I just relied on a self-cooked style, but yours looks much closer to
the official LaTeX template. Just two or three very small remarks:

1. You should mention somewhere that your module necessitates
installing the texgyre fonts (at least pagella) + the map files. They
don't come with a normal ConTeXt installation (yet).

2. I haven't really looke into the texgyre fonts yet, but is it
possible to make mediaeval numbers the default? Given that they are
used for page and section numbers, that would make sense, IMHO.

3. The line endings in lines 226 and 227 need to be escaped;
otherwise, you'll get a spurious space in front of the abstract
buffer (visible in output in demo mode).

Thanks so much for providing this module; I'll certainly use it if I
write anything for PTJ again!

Best

Thomas

* Re: Module for ptj
@ 2006-11-27 18:49 ` Aditya Mahajan
From: Aditya Mahajan @ 2006-11-27 18:49 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Sat, 25 Nov 2006, Thomas A. Schmitz wrote:

> I've just played some with your module for the PracTeX journal. This
> is very nice to have, I'm absolutely thrilled! When I wrote for them,
> I just relied on a self-cooked style, but yours looks much closer to
> the official LaTeX template. Just two or three very small remarks:
>
> 1. You should mention somewhere that your module necessitates
> installing the texgyre fonts (at least pagella) + the map files. They
> don't come with a normal ConTeXt installation (yet).

Ah, I just assumed that everybody would have downloaded TeXGyre fonts
by now :) I will add a note and the download instructions in the
documentation.

> 2. I haven't really looke into the texgyre fonts yet, but is it
> possible to make mediaeval numbers the default? Given that they are
> used for page and section numbers, that would make sense, IMHO.

I do not know how to do that (for any font). If you can point me to
some documentation or example on setting up oldstyle numbers for some
fonts, I will experiment with it to see if it can be enabled by
default for PracTeX Journal.

> 3. The line endings in lines 226 and 227 need to be escaped;
> otherwise, you'll get a spurious space in front of the abstract
> buffer (visible in output in demo mode).

Ah, so that was where the space was coming from. I'll correct it. I
still do not understand when a line in a \def should end in a % and
when it is alright to omit it.

> Thanks so much for providing this module; I'll certainly use it if I
> write anything for PTJ again!

I hope you find the time to write something more. I really enjoyed
your previous articles.

Aditya