* Re: how to let context suppose chinese via utf-8 ?
@ 2006-06-12 23:44 盛劲松
From: 盛劲松 @ 2006-06-12 23:44 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi,Hans Hagen

======= 2006-06-12 18:32:00 您在来信中写道:=======

>Mojca Miklavec wrote:
>> your ConTeXt is older than a month don't even try to ask questions
>> about why something doesn't work ;)
>>
>hey, that's not fair .. not everyone uses tha latest trickery and not
>everyone messes up his tex system on a daily basis like you do -)
>
>Hans

Thank you for your tolerance to a newbie like me :)
I have fixed the problem aready.
the problem is due to the changed cont-sys.tex file in C:\CTeX\texmf\tex\context\user
which was introduced to support chinese via encoding GBK before.
When I turned to UTF-8. I forgot to delete it.
Now I have deleted it .And everything goes well again:)
Special thanks were given to Lutz Haseloff <Lutz.Haseloff@blb.brandenburg.de>  who offered me
a package file utf.zip containing .map ,.enc and .tfm files.

= = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = =

        致
礼!

        盛劲松
        shengjins@mail.semi.ac.cn
          2006-06-13

* Re: how to let context suppose chinese via utf-8 ?
@ 2006-06-12 16:32   ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2006-06-12 16:32 UTC (permalink / raw)

Mojca Miklavec wrote:
> your ConTeXt is older than a month don't even try to ask questions
> about why something doesn't work ;)

hey, that's not fair .. not everyone uses tha latest trickery and not
everyone messes up his tex system on a daily basis like you do -)

Hans

                                          Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE

@ 2006-06-12 16:28 ` Mojca Miklavec
From: Mojca Miklavec @ 2006-06-12 16:28 UTC (permalink / raw)

The first time I've been categorized as a spammer because I cited your
name, so I deleted the Chineese part of the message this time:

> Hi, evergyone
>     I found a instruction in context wiki (http://wiki.contextgarden.net/Chinese)
>
>  in this page , it says:
>
> If you have Context 2005.12.19, you only have to get the fonts.

Must be understood as: [Someone has forgotten to delete this note.] If
your ConTeXt is older than a month don't even try to ask questions
about why something doesn't work ;)

> 1.You need some Chinese (TrueType) fonts; you may want to get FangSong, HeiTi, KaiTi and SongTi. Put those e.g. into  $TEXMF/fonts/truetype/chinese/.

> 3.You may now need to update the hash TeX uses to find the files; using teTeX this is done by running texhash.

(often called) mktexlsr

> 4.How you can run your Hello World program:
>
> could anyone be kindly to offer me a list of detail instructions about how to do?
>
> thank you!

I don't know anything about Chineese, but which platform and which
distribution are you using? Because it might be far easier to get
Chineese working with XeTeX than with pdfTeX. In that case you don't
need dozens of those (soon-to-become-obsolete) .map, .tfm and .enc
files. (and you don't need that ruby script)

XeTeX is runnung on Mac OS X for quite some time now, on Linux since
end of April and on Windows for some days or weeks (not officially
released yet).

If you have Mac you can use i-Installer for installing XeTeX, on Linux
it might be easiest to use linuxtex.zip and justtex.zip from
pragma-ade.com. If you're on Windows I can send you some instructions
how to install it (you basically only need to copy binaries and
configuration files from xetex-w32.tar.bz to the proper place in the
TeX tree), but I guess that XeTeX could (will?) be included in the
standalone ConTeXt distribution without much trouble.

In that case the whole story reduces to installing the fonts to your
system (you probably already have them installed) and:

   texexec --xtx --make --all
   fc-cache -v -f

and the Hello-world example being just something like

% typescripts should be used here, but for hello-world this should suffice
\font\MyFont="Arial Unicode MS" % or name of some other font that you
want to use
\MyFont

\starttext
your-chineese-text
\stoptext

texexec --xtx yourfile

Mojca

* Re: how to let context suppose chinese via utf-8 ?
@ 2006-06-12 11:44 ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2006-06-12 11:44 UTC (permalink / raw)

� wrote:
> Hi, evergyone
>     I found a instruction in context wiki (http://wiki.contextgarden.net/Chinese)
>
>  in this page , it says:
>
> If you have Context 2005.12.19, you only have to get the fonts.
>
> 1.You need some Chinese (TrueType) fonts; you may want to get FangSong, HeiTi, KaiTi and SongTi. Put those e.g. into  $TEXMF/fonts/truetype/chinese/.
>                               -----------finished
>
> 2.Use Hans Hagen's experimental ttf2uni.rb script to create .map, .tfm and .enc files. You can then put the files e.g. to $TEXMF/fonts/tfm/chinese/ (*.tmf files), $TEXMF/fonts/enc/chinese/ (*.enc files, they are basically the same for all fonts) and to $TEXMF/fonts/map/chinese/.
>                               -----------wondering!!!!
>  I have downloaded the file ttf2uni.rb to my local machine. But how can I creat such .map ,.tfm and .enc files via it?
>

> 3.You may now need to update the hash TeX uses to find the files; using teTeX this is done by running texhash.
>
> 4.How you can run your Hello World program:

(1) make sure that you have the fonts
(2) \usemodule[chinese] % or chi-00 or ..
(3) \enableregime[utf]

and things should work ... no need to use conversions

Tobias may be able to provide more help

Hans

* Re: how to let context suppose chinese via utf-8 ?
@ 2006-06-11 12:59 ` Mojca Miklavec
From: Mojca Miklavec @ 2006-06-11 12:59 UTC (permalink / raw)

> 盛劲松 wrote:
> Hi, evergyone
>     I found a instruction in context wiki (http://wiki.contextgarden.net/Chinese)
>
>  in this page , it says:
>
> If you have Context 2005.12.19, you only have to get the fonts.

Must be understood as: [Someone has forgotten to delete this note.] If
your ConTeXt is older than a month don't even try to ask questions
about why something doesn't work ;)

> 1.You need some Chinese (TrueType) fonts; you may want to get FangSong, HeiTi, KaiTi and SongTi. Put those e.g. into  $TEXMF/fonts/truetype/chinese/.

> 3.You may now need to update the hash TeX uses to find the files; using teTeX this is done by running texhash.

(often called) mktexlsr

> 4.How you can run your Hello World program:
>
> could anyone be kindly to offer me a list of detail instructions about how to do?
>
> thank you!

I don't know anything about Chineese, but which platform and which
distribution are you using? Because it might be far easier to get
Chineese working with XeTeX than with pdfTeX. In that case you don't
need dozens of those (soon-to-become-obsolete) .map, .tfm and .enc
files. (and you don't need that ruby script)

XeTeX is runnung on Mac OS X for quite some time now, on Linux since
end of April and on Windows for some days or weeks (not officially
released yet).

If you have Mac you can use i-Installer for installing XeTeX, on Linux
it might be easiest to use linuxtex.zip and justtex.zip from
pragma-ade.com. If you're on Windows I can send you some instructions
how to install it (you basically only need to copy binaries and
configuration files from xetex-w32.tar.bz to the proper place in the
TeX tree), but I guess that XeTeX could (will?) be included in the
standalone ConTeXt distribution without much trouble.

In that case the whole story reduces to installing the fonts to your
system (you probably already have them installed) and:

    texexec --xtx --make --all
    fc-cache -v -f

and the Hello-world example being just something like

% typescripts should be used here, but for hello-world this should suffice
\font\MyFont="Arial Unicode MS" % or name of some other font that you
want to use
\MyFont

\starttext
your-chineese-text
\stoptext

texexec --xtx yourfile

Mojca

* how to let context suppose chinese via utf-8 ?
@ 2006-06-11  3:46 盛劲松
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: 盛劲松 @ 2006-06-11  3:46 UTC (permalink / raw)