* [NTG-context] define math function with \, inside
@ 2023-05-01 15:19 Stefan Haller via ntg-context
From: Stefan Haller via ntg-context @ 2023-05-01 15:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context; +Cc: Stefan Haller

Hi all,

I wanted to define a custom math function (similar to log etc.) for
argmax. However, I wanted to have a small space between "arg" and "max"
and limits should work properly. I am using a up-to-date LMTX installation.

Without the first constraint it's easy:

> % old way:
> \definemathcommand[argmax][limop]{\mfunction[argmax]}
> % new way, discoverd by looking into math-def.mkxl
> \definemathfunction[argmax]

However, both methods do not work if I want to have "arg\,max" printed
(error about \endcsname missing). With mkiv the first method works and
can also be found in the wiki[1].

What's the current way to define such a custom math function?

Thanks!
Stefan

[1]: https://wiki.contextgarden.net/Math/functions

* Re: [NTG-context] define math function with \, inside
@ 2023-05-01 15:48 ` Mikael Sundqvist via ntg-context
From: Mikael Sundqvist via ntg-context @ 2023-05-01 15:48 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Mon, May 1, 2023 at 5:27 PM Stefan Haller via ntg-context
<ntg-context@ntg.nl> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I wanted to define a custom math function (similar to log etc.) for
> argmax. However, I wanted to have a small space between "arg" and "max"
> and limits should work properly. I am using a up-to-date LMTX installation.
>
> Without the first constraint it's easy:
>
> > % old way:
> > \definemathcommand[argmax][limop]{\mfunction[argmax]}
> > % new way, discoverd by looking into math-def.mkxl
> > \definemathfunction[argmax]
>
> However, both methods do not work if I want to have "arg\,max" printed
> (error about \endcsname missing). With mkiv the first method works and
> can also be found in the wiki[1].
>
> What's the current way to define such a custom math function?
>
> Thanks!
> Stefan
>
> [1]: https://wiki.contextgarden.net/Math/functions

This works here (but maybe there should be a simpler way):

\definemathfunction
  [argmax]
  [mathlimits=auto]

\setupmathlabeltext
  [en]
  [argmax=arg\sixperemspace max]

\startTEXpage[offset=1ts]
\im{
  \argmax_{a\in A} f(a)
}
\blank[big]
\dm{
  \argmax_{a\in A} f(a)
}
\stopTEXpage

/Mikael

* Re: [NTG-context] define math function with \, inside
@ 2023-05-01 16:14   ` Stefan Haller via ntg-context
From: Stefan Haller via ntg-context @ 2023-05-01 16:14 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi Mikael,

On Mon, May 01, 2023 at 05:48:40PM +0200, Mikael Sundqvist via ntg-context wrote:
> [...]
> This works here (but maybe there should be a simpler way):
>
> \definemathfunction
>   [argmax]
>   [mathlimits=auto]
>
> \setupmathlabeltext
>   [en]
>   [argmax=arg\sixperemspace max]
> [...]

That was exactly what I was looking for. It is working perfectly. Thanks
a lot!

With this knowledge finding additional information in the wiki is much
easier: :)

1. https://wiki.contextgarden.net/Command/_setuplabeltext
2. https://wiki.contextgarden.net/Command/_labeltext

Stefan