From: Steffen Wolfrum <xmailings@estfiles.de>
Subject: how to integrate graphics flexibly?
Date: Mon, 25 Aug 2003 13:03:53 +0200	[thread overview]

Hi

I am thinking about to switch from LaTeX to ConTeXt.
The main reason for me is the need of "embedded" graphics

(I'm not sure about the technical term typographically. In german it
is "eingespiegelte Bilder".)

The task could be like:
- typesetting a book on art history
- 450 pages A4
- 150 pictures included
- all pictures should be placed close to the first time they are
mentioned in the text
- the shouldn't be more than two pictures per page.

We will have three possibilities:

a) Some pictures are in landscape format - they can be set width to textwidth.

b) Others are moderate portrait format - in this case the
title/caption can be set next to it (right/left) and both together
can be set width to textwidth as well.

c) But others are extreme portrait format (maybe height to width four to one).
They need to be included into the text (with text floating around at one side).

As a) and b) are set either at the top or at the bottom of a page it
is necessary that also the graphics of case c) can be set this way.

So I need to set figures with the following options:
- ability to float
- placing option top/bottom of page
- placing option left/right respectively inner/outer edge of page
- can be set to whole textwidth
- can be alternatively included into the text (but floating, not only
into the paragraph were they are mentioned)).

Which TeX mode (LaTeX/ConTeXt) or which additional package can do this job?

Thank you,

Steffen Wolfrum

Berlin, 25. August 2003