* Re: critical editions in context
@ 2004-09-17 12:39 Steffen Wolfrum
From: Steffen Wolfrum @ 2004-09-17 12:39 UTC (permalink / raw)

Thomas A.Schmitz <thomas.schmitz@uni-bonn.de> wrote:

> <x-flowed>
> On Tuesday, September 23, 2003, at 05:46  PM, Hans Hagen wrote:
> > if i'm right, you have somewhere:
> >
> > \input page-nnt
> > \input core-nnt
> > \input core-lnt
> >
> > (multiple footnote classes, arbitrary footnote placement, line refs in
> > footnotes and so)
>
> hmmm, is this part of the distribution? Couldn't find anything that
> looks like page-nnt etc.

Hi Hans and Idris,

there was no follow-up to Thomas' mail.

As I am still looking for arbitrary footnote placement,
do you can tell where this wonderful information is available?

Thank you,

Steffen

* Re: critical editions in context
@ 2005-03-15 22:15       ` h h extern
From: h h extern @ 2005-03-15 22:15 UTC (permalink / raw)

Thomas A.Schmitz wrote:
> Sorry, hit the "send" button by accident.
>
> OK, I feel guilty resurrecting this stale thread, but I can't resist
> asking again.
>
> I found this in m-arabtex.tex:
> %    \pushmacro\edmacloaded   \let \edmacloaded   \undefined
>
> and later
>
> %    \popmacro\edmacloaded
>
> Both lines are commented out, so I'm still wondering if edmac will work
> with ConTeXt "out of the box."
>
> The absolute basics that are needed for critical editions are:
>
> 1. Capability to have footnotes with reference to line-number instead of
> counter. These notes must not end with a newline character (see
> ASCII-art at end of post), but must provide the possibility to have
> several on one line. These notes must not flow, they have to stay on the
> same page as the reference. Horizontal tolerance can be set to very
> sloppy to achieve this
>
> 2. Must be possible to apply a format like \bf vel. sim. to the reference.
>
> 3. Within these notes, it should be possible to refer to other line
> numbers.
>
> 4. Nice, but not quite essential: possibility to have notes in more than
> one column.
>
> 5. Not absolutely basic, but important for serious work: have more than
> one set of notes referring to the same passage.
>
> Is this possible in ConTeXt "out of the box"? If not, I'd be willing to
> roll up my sleeves and help, but would like to know which would be a
> good starting point.
>
> I looked at core-ltn.tex. I'm not sure if core-nnt and page-nnt refer to
> core-not and page-not; I couldn't find anything appropriate in these files.

the files are in the main distribution for some time; i'm still waiting for
idris to test them; following is my test file (seems that it has a patch -)

% interface=en

\unprotect

\def\dohandlelinenote#1#2#3%
   {\bgroup
    \expanded{\beforesplitstring#2}\at--\to\linenotelinenumber
    \ifnum\linenotelinenumber=\linenumber\relax
       \def\linenotelinenumber##1{#2}%
       \setupnote[#1]
         [\c!numbercommand=\linenotelinenumber,
          \c!textcommand=\gobbleoneargument]%
       \setnote[#1]{#3}%
    \fi
    \egroup}

\protect

\starttext

\tracelinenotestrue

\setuppapersize[S6][S6]
\setuplayout[width=middle,height=middle,margin=1.5cm,footer=0pt,header=1cm]

\setupcolors[state=start]
\setuptyping[option=color]

\definelinenote[extralinenote][rule=off,frame=on,framecolor=darkgreen]
\setuplinenote [linenote]     [rule=off,frame=on,framecolor=darkred,n=2]

\showframe

\startbuffer[test]
\doglobal\increment\DummyNumber % else dups due to reuse
\startlinenumbering[100]
test \linenote {oeps} test test test test test test
test \startlinenote [well:\DummyNumber] {oeps} test test test test test test
test \linenote {oeps} test test test test test test
test \extralinenote {oeps} test test test test test test
test \linenote {oeps} test test test test test test
test \extralinenote {oeps} test test test test test test
test \stoplinenote [well] test test test test test test
\stoplinenumbering
\stopbuffer

{\typebuffer[test] \getbuffer[test]} \page

\startbuffer[setup]
\setuplinenumbering
   [align=left]
\stopbuffer

{\typebuffer[setup] \getbuffer[setup,test]} \page

\startbuffer[setup]
\setuplinenumbering
   [width=1em,
    align=left]
\stopbuffer

{\typebuffer[setup] \getbuffer[setup,test]} \page

\startbuffer[setup]
\setuplinenumbering
   [width=2em,
    distance=.5em,
    align=left]
\stopbuffer

{\typebuffer[setup] \getbuffer[setup,test]} \page

\startbuffer[setup]
\setuplinenumbering
   [width=2em,
    align=middle]
\stopbuffer

{\typebuffer[setup] \getbuffer[setup,test]} \page

\startbuffer[setup]
\setuplinenumbering
   [conversion=romannumerals,
    start=1,
    step=1,
    location=text,
    style=slanted,
    color=blue,
    width=1.5em]
\stopbuffer

{\typebuffer[setup] \startnarrower\getbuffer[setup,test]\stopnarrower} \page

\startbuffer[setup]
\setuplinenumbering
   [width=4em,
    left=--,
    right=--,
    align=middle]
\stopbuffer

{\typebuffer[setup] \getbuffer[setup,test]} \page

\startbuffer[setup-1]
\setuplinenumbering
   [style=\bfxx,
    command=\WatchThis]
\stopbuffer

\startbuffer[setup-2]
\def\WatchThis#1%
   {\ifodd\linenumber
      \definecolor[linecolor][red]%
    \else
      \definecolor[linecolor][green]%
    \fi
    \inframed
      [offset=1pt,frame=off,background=color,backgroundcolor=linecolor]
      {#1}}
\stopbuffer

{\typebuffer[setup-1,setup-2] \getbuffer[setup-1,setup-2,test]} \page

\startbuffer[setup-1]
\setuplinenumbering
   [location=inright,
    style=\bfxx,
    command=\WatchThis]
\stopbuffer

{\typebuffer[setup-1] \getbuffer[setup-1,setup-2,test]} \page

\stoptext

> Best
>
> Thomas
>
> Example what should be possible:
>
> 1 This manual is about ConTEXt, a system for typesetting documents.
> 2 Central element in this name is the word TEX because the typographical
> 3 programming language TEX is the base for ConTEXt. People who are used
> 4 to TEX will probably identify this manual as a TEX document. They
> recognise
> 5 the use of \. One may also notice that the way pararaphs are broken
> into lines
> 6 is often better than in the avarage typesetting system.
>
> 1 manual A: handbook B     2 name A: concept B,C     typographical A:
> computational B, euphoric C   4 manual A: handbook B (as in l. 1)
>
> On Sep 23, 2003, at 5:46 PM, Hans Hagen wrote:
>
>> At 09:12 23/09/2003 -0600, you wrote:
>>
>>> Hi Thomas,

>>> implemented in
>>>
>>> Hans has already done some preliminary work in this direction. I
>>> could not
>>> completely test it because the implementations used hooks from e-TeX.
>>> Now
>>> that eOmega/Aleph is available I will be able to be a bit more
>>> proactive in
>>> testing/suggesting things.
>>>
>>> I don't remember if Hans added the xperimental stuff for critical
>>> editions
>>> to the latest beta. But I'm going to have to start testing this stuff
>>> soon,
>>> because the next issue of our journal is supposed to have a couple of
>>> small
>>> Arabic critical editions in it.
>>

>> if i'm right, you have somewhere:
>>
>> \input page-nnt
>> \input core-nnt
>> \input core-lnt
>>
>> (multiple footnote classes, arbitrary footnote placement, line refs in
>> footnotes and so)
>>
>> Hans

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE

@ 2005-03-12 14:00     ` Thomas A.Schmitz
From: Thomas A.Schmitz @ 2005-03-12 14:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

@ 2005-03-12 13:34     ` Thomas A.Schmitz
From: Thomas A.Schmitz @ 2005-03-12 13:34 UTC (permalink / raw)

@ 2003-09-23 16:35     ` Thomas A.Schmitz
From: Thomas A.Schmitz @ 2003-09-23 16:35 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Tuesday, September 23, 2003, at 05:46  PM, Hans Hagen wrote:
> if i'm right, you have somewhere:
>
> \input page-nnt
> \input core-nnt
> \input core-lnt
>
> (multiple footnote classes, arbitrary footnote placement, line refs in
> footnotes and so)

hmmm, is this part of the distribution? Couldn't find anything that
looks like page-nnt etc.

* Re: critical editions in context
@ 2003-09-23 15:46   ` Hans Hagen
                       ` (2 more replies)
From: Hans Hagen @ 2003-09-23 15:46 UTC (permalink / raw)

At 09:12 23/09/2003 -0600, you wrote:
>Hi Thomas,
>
>"Thomas A.Schmitz" wrote:
>
> > In March/April 2002, Hans and Idris had an interesting exchange about
> > the topic "critical editions in context" here in ntg-context; the main
> > question was whether the functionality of edmac could be implemented in
> > context. I'd be curious to know whether anything came out of it, I
> > couldn't find any follow-up.
>
>Hans has already done some preliminary work in this direction. I could not
>completely test it because the implementations used hooks from e-TeX. Now
>that eOmega/Aleph is available I will be able to be a bit more proactive in
>testing/suggesting things.
>
>I don't remember if Hans added the xperimental stuff for critical editions
>to the latest beta. But I'm going to have to start testing this stuff soon,
>because the next issue of our journal is supposed to have a couple of small
>Arabic critical editions in it.

if i'm right, you have somewhere:

\input page-nnt
\input core-nnt
\input core-lnt

(multiple footnote classes, arbitrary footnote placement, line refs in
footnotes and so)

Hans
                                   Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE | pragma@wxs.nl

* Re: critical editions in context
@ 2003-09-23 15:12 ` Idris S Hamid
From: Idris S Hamid @ 2003-09-23 15:12 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi Thomas,

"Thomas A.Schmitz" wrote:

> In March/April 2002, Hans and Idris had an interesting exchange about
> the topic "critical editions in context" here in ntg-context; the main
> question was whether the functionality of edmac could be implemented in
> context. I'd be curious to know whether anything came out of it, I
> couldn't find any follow-up.

Hans has already done some preliminary work in this direction. I could not
completely test it because the implementations used hooks from e-TeX. Now
that eOmega/Aleph is available I will be able to be a bit more proactive in
testing/suggesting things.

I don't remember if Hans added the xperimental stuff for critical editions
to the latest beta. But I'm going to have to start testing this stuff soon,
because the next issue of our journal is supposed to have a couple of small
Arabic critical editions in it.

Best
Idris

* critical editions in context