* columnsetspan - alternative needed
@ 2005-01-21 22:34 Steffen Wolfrum
From: Steffen Wolfrum @ 2005-01-21 22:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: pragma

Hi,

as far as I've seen columnsets work in a magazine like style:

\startcolumnset[twocolumns]
aaa ...
\startcolumnsetspan[heading]
bbb
\stopcolumnsetspan
ccc ...
\stopcolumnset

gives results like this:

aaa  ccc
aaa  ccc
bbbb
ccc  ccc
ccc  ccc

But how can I structure columnsets so my result will look like this?:

aaa  aaa
aaa  aaa
bbbb
ccc  ccc
ccc  ccc

Thank you,

Steffen

* Re: columnsetspan - alternative needed
       [not found] <a06002004be1aa1cb374b@[62.134.76.66]>
@ 2005-01-24 18:36 ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2005-01-24 18:36 UTC (permalink / raw)

Steffen Wolfrum wrote:
> Thanks for the quick answer - but obviously my example was bad: columnsetareas don't do what I need.
>
> Maybe this is a better explanation:
>
> Given you have two articles in a book set in two columns.
> The second article doesn't start on a new page - it just begins where the first one ends.
>
> But the first article (aaa...) ends with two balanced columns,
> then comes the heading (bbb) for the second article,
> and then comes begins the second article (ccc...).
>

> That's what I mean by
>
> aaa  aaa
> aaa  aaa
>
> bbbb
>
> ccc  ccc
> ccc  ccc
>
> Do you have a trick how to do a page like this with columnsets?

well, it involves some manual tweaking (numbers and such) and is not yet 100% ok

the next code shows a  bit of balancing and columnstart/height manipulations

\starttext

\showgrid

\definecolumnset [two]   [n=2,balance=top]
\definecolumnset [three] [n=3,balance=top]

\setupcolumnsetlines[two][1][1][15]
\setupcolumnsetlines[two][1][2][15]

\setupcolumnsetstart[three][1][1][15]
\setupcolumnsetstart[three][1][2][18]
\setupcolumnsetstart[three][1][3][20]

\setupcolumnsetlines[three][1][1][40]
\setupcolumnsetlines[three][1][2][40]
\setupcolumnsetlines[three][1][3][40]

\definecolumnsetspan[two]

% \starttext
%   \startcolumnset [two]   \dorecurse {1}{\input tufte \par} \stopcolumnset
%   \startcolumnset [three] \dorecurse {2}{\input tufte \par} \stopcolumnset
% \stoptext

\starttext
   \startcolumnset [two]   \startcolumnsetspan[two] \input ward
\stopcolumnsetspan \dorecurse {1}{\input tufte \par} \stopcolumnset
   \startcolumnset [three] \startcolumnsetspan[two] \input ward
\stopcolumnsetspan \dorecurse {2}{\input tufte \par} \stopcolumnset
\stoptext

\stoptext

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE