* three questions on footnotes
@ 2004-10-20 19:47 Steffen Wolfrum
From: Steffen Wolfrum @ 2004-10-20 19:47 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi,

as beautiful footnote placement is one of the most brilliant features in TeX
I were happy if these three detail questions could also be answered with ConTeXt.

Hans, do you have some time left to have a look, please?

As always, thank you very much,

Steffen

-> 1. headcommand

How do I use this new command for moving my footnotemarker?
I found only "location=top" showing a result and that was quite stupid ...

\setupfootnotedefinition[location=command,headcommand=\llap]

-> 2. footnotes (short: behind, long: below)?

Is there a predefined command for placing short footnotes
at the bottom of each page but horizontally continuos?

Is saw this way of typesetting footnotes in a book I've read.
It looks likes this:

body text body text body
text body  text body bo-
dy  text body  text body.
------
1 short   2 short 3 short
4 short
5 but hey: the long note
starts in a new line!

I have never seen footnotes like this before. But it reads very pleasant:
This way you don't have lot of empty white space (because of short notes),
and it still is very clear (for the long footnote starts on a new line).

Is it possible to typeset this in ConTeXt?

-> 3. Footnotes in margin?

Hans once posted the code listed below. But the result on longer footnotes were halfempty (body text) pages.
Is there a bug fix, a work around?

> >does ConTeXt provide a way to place footnote (not margin notes!) per page - but not below the body text?
> >A suitable place could be the margin. But there is no "\setupfootnotes[location=inmargin]"
> >and somthing like "\inmargin{\footnote{}The footnote's text.}" doesn't flow.
> >
> >Does anybody know a working solution?
> >

> Idris should know since i made him definable footnotes -)
>
> \showframe
>
> \definenote[mynote][way=bypage,location=text,width=\marginwidth,rule=,before=]
>
> \setuplayout[backspace=5cm,margin=3cm,margindistance=.5cm,width=middle]
>
> \setuptexttexts
>   [margin]
>   [\vbox to \textheight{\placenotes[mynote]\vfill}]
>   []
>
> \starttext
>
> test \mynote{one} test \mynote{two} \page
> test \mynote{one} test \mynote{two} \page
> test \mynote{one} test \mynote{two} \page
> test \mynote{one} test \mynote{two} \page
>
> \stoptext
>
> or a bit more modern (structured, readable, replacable):
>
> \setuptexttexts
>   [margin]
>   [\setups{flushmynotes}]
>   []
>
> \startsetups flushmynotes
>
>   \vbox to \textheight{\placenotes[mynote]\vfill}
>
> \stopsetups

* Re: three questions on footnotes
@ 2004-11-02 17:37 ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2004-11-02 17:37 UTC (permalink / raw)

Steffen Wolfrum wrote:

> -> 1. headcommand
>
> How do I use this new command for moving my footnotemarker?
> I found only "location=top" showing a result and that was quite stupid ...
>
> \setupfootnotedefinition[location=command,headcommand=\llap]

as the name suggests, it uses the definition/descriotion environment, so
you can use the same configuration options as there; the mentioned
location=command gives you the possibility to hook in your own commands

\def\MyMove#1{\inframed{#1}}

headcommand=\MyMove

> -> 2. footnotes (short: behind, long: below)?
>
> Is there a predefined command for placing short footnotes
> at the bottom of each page but horizontally continuos?
>
> Is saw this way of typesetting footnotes in a book I've read.
> It looks likes this:
>
> body text body text body
> text body  text body bo-
> dy  text body  text body.
> ------
> 1 short   2 short 3 short
> 4 short
> 5 but hey: the long note
> starts in a new line!
>

> I have never seen footnotes like this before. But it reads very pleasant:
> This way you don't have lot of empty white space (because of short notes),
> and it still is very clear (for the long footnote starts on a new line).
>
> Is it possible to typeset this in ConTeXt?

not currently; one complication is that footnotes are collected and so
the first one is already on a line of it's own when the seconds enters
the game; technically it's possible to implement something that does
that by lying to tex about dimensions and such; however, this will not
be that robust because tex has to be able to break between note 1 and 2
if needed

> -> 3. Footnotes in margin?
>
> Hans once posted the code listed below. But the result on longer footnotes were halfempty (body text) pages.
> Is there a bug fix, a work around?

hm, i need to add an option for that, will do

Hans

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE