* Re: Going crazy with font conversion (diaeresis)!
@ 2005-03-22 16:14 Steffen Wolfrum
From: Steffen Wolfrum @ 2005-03-22 16:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ntg-context

Hi Adam,

Adam Lindsay <atl@comp.lancs.ac.uk> wrote:

>  Okay, it was trickier than I thought.
>  But I used the .afm obtained from FontForge conversion, and discarded
>  the .pfb.
>
>    afm2pl -p `kpsewhich texnansi.enc` HelveticaNeue.afm
>    pltotf HelveticaNeue
>
>  Because I'm impatient, and wanted a quick test:
>  \loadmapline[+HelveticaNeue HelveticaNeue " TeXnANSIEncoding
>  ReEncodeFont " <texnansi.enc <HelveticaNeue.ttf]
>  \starttext
>  \definedfont[HelveticaNeue]
>  TAVAT.Po
>  T{}A{}V{}A{}T{}.{}P{}o
>  \stoptext

Your result looks promising - but duplicating your way showed me my
command line limits:

$ afm2pl -p `kpsewhich texnansi.enc` HelveticaNeue.afm
afm2pl: fatal: default.lig not found.

$ pltotf HelveticaNeue
pltotf: HelveticaNeue.pl: No such file or directory

As I have never used afm2pl or pltotf the usage above is praobably wrong.
Or was my Fontforge export bad?
(When I open the AFM exported by FontForge there are no entries for
KerningPairs ...)

And looking at your test file: where are your ttf and other files in
this situation?

Steffen

* Re: Going crazy with font conversion (diaeresis)!
@ 2005-03-22 20:40 Steffen Wolfrum
From: Steffen Wolfrum @ 2005-03-22 20:40 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hallo Adam,

Adam Lindsay <atl@comp.lancs.ac.uk> wrote:

>  ...which I copied to the working directory. It should be included in
>  gwTeX.
>
>  Running the command above should do it.
>
>  > $ pltotf HelveticaNeue
>  > pltotf: HelveticaNeue.pl: No such file or directory
>
>  The fatal error above didn't generate a .pl file, so the next command
>  wasn't able to use it.
>
>  > As I have never used afm2pl or pltotf the usage above is praobably
>  > wrong.
>  > Or was my Fontforge export bad?
>  >
>  > And looking at your test file: where are your ttf and other files in
>  > this situation?
>  >
>  All in the working directory. I could then rename, put them in the
>  tex/fonts/ tree, and rehash, but that's it down to the essence.
>
>  Here's another goodie:

Now it works. Very nice and clear ways to get it.
But both goodies don't work with OSX's Helvetica.dfont

If you try it with the .ttf you'll get:

Error: pdfetex (file Helvetica.ttf): can't find table `OS/2'
  ==> Fatal error occurred, the output PDF file is not finished!

And if instead you use the .pfb
then you'll get the misplaced macrons and tildes that I've reported.

Just try this:

\loadmapline[+Helvetica Helvetica " TeXnANSIEncoding
ReEncodeFont " <texnansi.enc <Helvetica.pfb]
\starttext
\definedfont[Helvetica]
TAVAT.Po
T{}A{}V{}A{}T{}.{}P{}o

\showfont[Helvetica] R\d{o} R{\=o} R\~o
\page\showcharacters
\stoptext

I know the HelveticaNeue is more beautiful ... but nevertheless it
would be interesting why there is the above error (and how it can be
solved).

Thanks for your help and support!

Steffen

* Re: Going crazy with font conversion (diaeresis)!
@ 2005-03-22 16:23 Steffen Wolfrum
From: Steffen Wolfrum @ 2005-03-22 16:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ntg-context

>  (When I open the AFM exported by FontForge there are no entries for
>KerningPairs ...)

Nonsense! I opened the wrong file (as I said: going crazy...)

Sorry,

Steffen

* Re: Going crazy with font conversion (diaeresis)!
@ 2005-03-22 12:03 Steffen Wolfrum
From: Steffen Wolfrum @ 2005-03-22 12:03 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi Adam,

Adam Lindsay <atl@comp.lancs.ac.uk> wrote:

>  I'd also ask why, if you have the superior Helvetica Neue working,
>  you're trying to get the plain, no-oblique Helvetica going as well. I
>  see it like the difference between LM and the original CM conversion...
>  the later interpretation is far superior, and much more subtly drawn.

Yes it is, of course!

But by using HelveticaNeue as is, there is no kerning information
included. The result is quite poor, as you can imagine. And as I
don't know how to set a proper kerning (in reasonable time) AND how
to get it  available in ConTeXt I see no other alternative than using
Helvetica and use the kerning information that is included in Adobes
afm/tfm/vf files (being part of tetex).

But if someone want to show me the path to proper TeX kerning I'd
also prefer HelveticaNeue, no doubt!

Steffen

* Going crazy with font conversion (diaeresis)!
@ 2005-03-21 15:37 Steffen Wolfrum
From: Steffen Wolfrum @ 2005-03-21 15:37 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi,

using HelveticaNeue (came with OSX) was fine.

But using Helvetica (from OSX system fonts) just won't work:

- when I have converted the .dfont to .pfb with
FontLab the diaeresis of the german Umlaute (äöü)
are too far to the right.

- when I have converted the .dfont to .pfb with
FontForge the diaeresis of the german Umlaute
(äöü) are OK, but all other elements like Macron,
Cedilla or Ogonek are too far to the left (!).

Anybody knows this strange behaviour?
And even better what to do to avoid this mess??

Steffen