* Re: Re: [OS X TeX] TeX run : 8
@ 2005-03-02 19:08 Steffen Wolfrum
From: Steffen Wolfrum @ 2005-03-02 19:08 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hans Hagen <pragma@wxs.nl> wrote:

>  and the tuo files?
>
>  texexec --pdf test.tex --runs=2
>  copy test.tuo test-2.tuo
>
>  texexec --pdf test.tex --runs=3
>  copy test.tuo test-3.tuo
>
>  texexec --pdf test.tex --runs=4
>  copy test.tuo test-4.tuo

test-3.tuo and test-4.tuo are identical
(via openssl md5 *.tui - as Gerben explained) :

%
% TeXUtil 9.0.0 - ConTeXt / PRAGMA ADE 1992-2004 / Commands
%
\thisissectionseparator{:}
\thisisutilityversion{2003.07.19}
\thisisbytesequence{\a^[“}
\initializevariable\usedcolorchannels{}
\initializevariable\lastpage{1}
\initializevariable\lastpagenumber{1}
\initializevariable\totalnofMPgraphics{0}
\initializevariable\totalnofpositions{0}
\initializevariable\totalnofparbackgrounds{0}
\initializevariable\currentstrategypass{1}
%
% TeXUtil 9.0.0 - ConTeXt / PRAGMA ADE 1992-2004 / Registers
%
%
% TeXUtil 9.0.0 - ConTeXt / PRAGMA ADE 1992-2004 / Synonyms
%
%
% TeXUtil 9.0.0 - ConTeXt / PRAGMA ADE 1992-2004 / Files
%
% PARTS/TWO.tex (2)
% test (2)
% PARTS/ONE.tex (2)
%
%
% TeXUtil 9.0.0 - ConTeXt / PRAGMA ADE 1992-2004 / Status
%
% embedded files    : 3 (0 errors)
% synonym entries   : 0 (0 errors)
% register entries  : 0 (0 errors)
% metapost graphics : 0
% position commands : 0 (not used)
%
% TeXUtil 9.0.0 - ConTeXt / PRAGMA ADE 1992-2004 / System
%

AND

test-2.tuo and test-n.tuo (texexec --pdf test.tex) are identical :

%

@ 2005-03-03  7:28 ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2005-03-03  7:28 UTC (permalink / raw)

Steffen Wolfrum wrote:
> Hans Hagen <pragma@wxs.nl> wrote:
>
>>  Steffen Wolfrum wrote:
>>  > TEST.tex
>>  > \startproject TEST
>>  > \startfrontmatter
>>  > \component PARTS/ONE.tex
>>  > \component PARTS/TWO.tex
>>  > \stopfrontmatter
>>  > \stopproject

(not related to the problem but ...)

projects normally only have references to products/components/environments, so
you example should be:

\startproduct TEST

\startfrontmatter
\component PARTS/ONE.tex
\component PARTS/TWO.tex
\stopfrontmatter

\stopproduct

Hans

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE
                                              | www.pragma-pod.nl

* Re: Re: [OS X TeX] TeX run : 8
@ 2005-03-02 16:47 ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2005-03-02 16:47 UTC (permalink / raw)

Steffen Wolfrum wrote:

> c \thisisutilityversion{2003.07.19}

no, the version only chnages when the format of the tui file changes and is used
to catch

- a version mismatch with texutil (needs updating)
- updates in the formats (needs one extra run one time)

Hans

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE
                                              | www.pragma-pod.nl

* Re: Re: [OS X TeX] TeX run : 8
@ 2005-03-02 16:45 ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2005-03-02 16:45 UTC (permalink / raw)

Steffen Wolfrum wrote:

> I opened them and they wrote all the same:
>
> c \thisissectionseparator{:}
> c \thisisutilityversion{2003.07.19}
> c \thisisbytesequence{\a^[“}
> f b {test}
> f b {PARTS/ONE.tex}
> f e {PARTS/ONE.tex}
> f b {PARTS/TWO.tex}
> f e {PARTS/TWO.tex}
> c \initializevariable\usedcolorchannels{}
> f e {test}
> c \initializevariable\lastpage{1}
> c \initializevariable\lastpagenumber{1}
> c \initializevariable\totalnofMPgraphics{0}
> c \initializevariable\totalnofpositions{0}
> c \initializevariable\totalnofparbackgrounds{0}
> c \initializevariable\currentstrategypass{1}

and the tuo files?

texexec --pdf test.tex --runs=2
copy test.tuo test-2.tuo

texexec --pdf test.tex --runs=3
copy test.tuo test-3.tuo

texexec --pdf test.tex --runs=4
copy test.tuo test-4.tuo

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE
                                              | www.pragma-pod.nl

* Re: Re: [OS X TeX] TeX run : 8
@ 2005-03-02 16:43       ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2005-03-02 16:43 UTC (permalink / raw)

Gerben Wierda wrote:

> Lines like these make my eyebrows go up though it might not be th eproblem
> at hand. What if $JobName contains whitespace?

it has worked ok for many years on our linux and windows boxes, and quoting in
perl is mostly a problem for windows (perl being more unix oriented) and all
quoting magic in texexec is for windows

Hans

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE
                                              | www.pragma-pod.nl

* Re: Re: [OS X TeX] TeX run : 8
@ 2005-03-02 16:03 Steffen Wolfrum
From: Steffen Wolfrum @ 2005-03-02 16:03 UTC (permalink / raw)

... I meant: maybe this is too old?

@ 2005-03-02 15:57 Steffen Wolfrum
From: Steffen Wolfrum @ 2005-03-02 15:57 UTC (permalink / raw)

@ 2005-03-02 15:33     ` Gerben Wierda
From: Gerben Wierda @ 2005-03-02 15:33 UTC (permalink / raw)

> Gerben Wierda wrote:
>
>> - How do you check that they are the same? (cmp command?)
>> - How does texexec check if another run is needed?
>
> texexec calls texutil which converts a tui file into a tuo file (in the
> process
> it sorts indexes and such); when a job is aborted (or has errors) no tuo
> file is
> generated (saves an additional later run after a fix); copied from
> texexec:
>
> use File::Compare;
>
> sub RunTeXutil {
>      my $StopRunning;
>      my $JobName = shift;
>      unlink "$JobName.tup";
>      rename "$JobName.tuo", "$JobName.tup";
>      print "  sorting and checking : running texutil\n";
>      my $TcXSwitch = '';
>      if ( $TcXPath ne '' ) { $TcXSwitch = "--tcxpath=$TcXPath" }
>      RunPerlScript( $TeXUtil, "--ref --ij --high $TcXPath $JobName" );

Lines like these make my eyebrows go up though it might not be th eproblem
at hand. What if $JobName contains whitespace?

This stuff must run on Win and Unix so shall escapes and quoting is not
the same on both sides. From the perlfunc man page:

exec LIST
The exec() function executes a system command AND NEVER RETURNS. Use the
system() function if you want it to return.

If there is more than one argument in LIST, or if LIST is an array with
more than one value, calls execvp(3) with the arguments in LIST. If there
is only one scalar argument, the argument is checked for shell
metacharacters. If there are any, the entire argument is passed to /bin/sh
-c for parsing. If there are none, the argument is split into words and
passed directly to execvp(), which is more efficient. Note: exec() (and
system(0) do not flush your output buffer, so you may need to set $| to
avoid lost output.

I am not at my system right now, but executing stuff is a bit tricky to
get the same on Win and Unix. And given that the argument contains
multiple arguments for texutil, I suspect it is the one-argument version
of system() (which does shell interpretation) that is eventually used.
Better circumvent this and use the LIST version which is almost guaranteed
to be the same on both OS's.

>      if ( -e "$JobName.tuo" ) {
>          CheckPositions($JobName);
>          $StopRunning = !compare( "$JobName.tup", "$JobName.tuo" );
>      } else {
>          $StopRunning = 1;
>      }    # otherwise potential loop
>      if ( !$StopRunning ) {
>          print "\n utility file analysis : another run needed\n";
>      }
>      return $StopRunning;
> }
>
> maybe some file permissions problem?
>
> Hans

* Re: Re: [OS X TeX] TeX run : 8
@ 2005-03-02 15:18     ` Taco Hoekwater
From: Taco Hoekwater @ 2005-03-02 15:18 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hans wrote:
>     unlink "$JobName.tup";
>     rename "$JobName.tuo", "$JobName.tup";

I mistrust these two lines. Essentially, these are system calls
without error checking. Lots of stuff can go wrong here.

Taco

* Re: Re: [OS X TeX] TeX run : 8
@ 2005-03-02 14:55   ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2005-03-02 14:55 UTC (permalink / raw)

Gerben Wierda wrote:

> - How do you check that they are the same? (cmp command?)
> - How does texexec check if another run is needed?

texexec calls texutil which converts a tui file into a tuo file (in the process
it sorts indexes and such); when a job is aborted (or has errors) no tuo file is
generated (saves an additional later run after a fix); copied from texexec:

use File::Compare;

sub RunTeXutil {
     my $StopRunning;
     my $JobName = shift;
     unlink "$JobName.tup";
     rename "$JobName.tuo", "$JobName.tup";
     print "  sorting and checking : running texutil\n";
     my $TcXSwitch = '';
     if ( $TcXPath ne '' ) { $TcXSwitch = "--tcxpath=$TcXPath" }
     RunPerlScript( $TeXUtil, "--ref --ij --high $TcXPath $JobName" );

     if ( -e "$JobName.tuo" ) {
         CheckPositions($JobName);
         $StopRunning = !compare( "$JobName.tup", "$JobName.tuo" );
     } else {
         $StopRunning = 1;
     }    # otherwise potential loop
     if ( !$StopRunning ) {
         print "\n utility file analysis : another run needed\n";
     }
     return $StopRunning;
}

maybe some file permissions problem?

Hans

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE
                                              | www.pragma-pod.nl

* Re: Re: [OS X TeX] TeX run : 8
@ 2005-03-02 14:50 ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2005-03-02 14:50 UTC (permalink / raw)

Steffen Wolfrum wrote:

> They don't. They are all the same.
> But nevertheless texexec test --pdf ran 8 runs ...

ah ... and how bout the tuo file? are they produced?

Hans

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE
                                              | www.pragma-pod.nl

* Re: Re: [OS X TeX] TeX run : 8
@ 2005-03-02 13:31 ` Gerben Wierda
From: Gerben Wierda @ 2005-03-02 13:31 UTC (permalink / raw)

> Hans Hagen <pragma@wxs.nl> wrote:
>>  texexec test --pdf --runs=1
>>  copy test.tui 1.tui
>>  texexec test --pdf --runs=2
>>  copy test.tui 2.tui
>>  texexec test --pdf --runs=3
>>  copy test.tui 3.tui
>>  texexec test --pdf
>>  copy test.tui n.tui
>>
>>  where do the tui's difer?
>>
>>  Hans
>

> They don't. They are all the same.
> But nevertheless texexec test --pdf ran 8 runs ...

- How do you check that they are the same? (cmp command?)
- How does texexec check if another run is needed?

Hans,

if you want me to test something tonight on Mac OS X, different versions
of TeX, I can. I'll first update to any latest ConTeXt beta if any.

* Re: Re: [OS X TeX] TeX run : 8
@ 2005-03-02 13:24 Steffen Wolfrum
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: Steffen Wolfrum @ 2005-03-02 13:24 UTC (permalink / raw)

@ 2005-03-02 12:35 ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2005-03-02 12:35 UTC (permalink / raw)

Steffen Wolfrum wrote:

> How many runs do you have under Mac OS X?

ps. it's on my agenda to have a mini mac with decent keyboard on my desk
(instead of the cumbersome 17 inch laptop) sharing the large display i use on my
workhorse laptop; at that time i'll also sync the mac versions of context

Hans

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE
                                              | www.pragma-pod.nl

* Re: Re: [OS X TeX] TeX run : 8
@ 2005-03-02 12:31 ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2005-03-02 12:31 UTC (permalink / raw)

Steffen Wolfrum wrote:

> How many runs do you have under Mac OS X?

dunno, the mac is not updated yet and actually not sitting on my desk but in my
library; best let patrick and/or adam test that since they normally have the
latest (alpha/beta/current) versions

Hans

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE
                                              | www.pragma-pod.nl

* Re: Re: [OS X TeX] TeX run : 8
@ 2005-03-02 11:59 Steffen Wolfrum
From: Steffen Wolfrum @ 2005-03-02 11:59 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hans Hagen <pragma@wxs.nl> wrote:

>  Steffen Wolfrum wrote:
>  > After playing a bit with minimal examples I think the "bug" has to do
>  > with the project structure. Here comes a very minimal example that
>  > *still* runs 8 times under Mac (2 times under Win)! Why?
>  >
>  > Given a main TEST.tex file and besides that a PARTS folder containing
>  > the files ONE.tex and TWO.tex :
>  >
>  >
>  > TEST.tex
>  > \startproject TEST
>  > \startfrontmatter
>  > \component PARTS/ONE.tex
>  > \component PARTS/TWO.tex
>  > \stopfrontmatter
>  > \stopproject
>  >
>  >
>  > ONE.tex
>  > \startcomponent ONE
>  > text
>  > \stopcomponent
>  >
>  > TWO.tex
>  > \startcomponent TWO
>  > text
>  > \stopcomponent
>
>  this runs normal here; (but your big zip didn't as mentioned in a
>previous mail)
>
>  Hans

How many runs do you have under Mac OS X?
And what is your setup for Mac: Gerben's tex.ii2 plus your recent cont-tmf.zip?

Steffen

* Re: Re: [OS X TeX] TeX run : 8
@ 2005-03-02 11:32 ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2005-03-02 11:32 UTC (permalink / raw)

Steffen Wolfrum wrote:
> TEST.tex
> \startproject TEST
> \startfrontmatter
> \component PARTS/ONE.tex
> \component PARTS/TWO.tex
> \stopfrontmatter
> \stopproject
>

> ONE.tex
> \startcomponent ONE
> text
> \stopcomponent
>
> TWO.tex
> \startcomponent TWO
> text
> \stopcomponent
>

> The Mac output (plus the Win output) were unfortunately bounced back -
> Message body is too big: 59628 bytes with a limit of 40 KB.

texexec test --pdf --runs=1
copy test.tui 1.tui
texexec test --pdf --runs=2
copy test.tui 2.tui