* math problems in last beta (cont-en and cont-xp)
@ 2009-03-23  9:51 Lutz Haseloff
From: Lutz Haseloff @ 2009-03-23  9:51 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi Hans, hi Taco, hi all,

testing math with the latest ConTeXt beta i found some problems.
My test file is:

\usetypescriptfile[type-buy]
\def\currentfontname
{\ctxlua{tex.print(font.getfont(font.current()).fullname)}}
\starttext
\startbuffer[mathbuffer]
\currentfontname

$a^2 + b^2 = c^2$

$E = mc^2 \bigotimes \sum$

$α^2 + β^2 = γ^2$
\blank[big]
\stopbuffer
\getbuffer[mathbuffer]
\usetypescript[lucida][texnansi]
\setupbodyfont[lucida]
\getbuffer[mathbuffer]
\usetypescript[cambria]
\switchtotypeface[cambria]
\getbuffer[mathbuffer]
\usetypescript[palatino]
\switchtotypeface[palatino]
\getbuffer[mathbuffer]
\stoptext

Latin Modern and Palatino/px work very fine.

Lucida lacks greek and some operators. I found no embedded LucidaNewMath
fonts
in the resulting pdf.

Cambria has a very ugly spacing.

btw. in the wiki is described a ConTeXt command \showmathcharacters.
This seems not to work anymore. The related file math-run.tex is not
input at the time of format generation.

Greetings Lutz

P.S. will the key [texnansi] (or [ec]) remain necessary to switch to
LucidaBright?

* Re: math problems in last beta (cont-en and cont-xp)
@ 2009-03-23 14:41 ` Aditya Mahajan
From: Aditya Mahajan @ 2009-03-23 14:41 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Mon, 23 Mar 2009, Lutz Haseloff wrote:

> Hi Hans, hi Taco, hi all,
>
> testing math with the latest ConTeXt beta i found some problems.
> My test file is:
>
> \usetypescriptfile[type-buy]
> \def\currentfontname
> {\ctxlua{tex.print(font.getfont(font.current()).fullname)}}
> \starttext
> \startbuffer[mathbuffer]
> \currentfontname
>
> $a^2 + b^2 = c^2$
>
> $E = mc^2 \bigotimes \sum$
>
> $α^2 + β^2 = γ^2$
> \blank[big]
> \stopbuffer
> \getbuffer[mathbuffer]
> \usetypescript[lucida][texnansi]
> \setupbodyfont[lucida]
> \getbuffer[mathbuffer]
> \usetypescript[cambria]
> \switchtotypeface[cambria]
> \getbuffer[mathbuffer]
> \usetypescript[palatino]
> \switchtotypeface[palatino]
> \getbuffer[mathbuffer]
> \stoptext

For using old type-1 math fonts, you need to create virtual fonts.

> Latin Modern and Palatino/px work very fine.

For LM, Palatino, and Times, the virtual fonts are created in math-vfu.lua

> Lucida lacks greek and some operators. I found no embedded LucidaNewMath
> fonts
> in the resulting pdf.

There are no virtual fonts for Lucida math. In principle, one just needs
to translate math-lbr to lua syntax. I will try to do that, but I need
someone to test the results, since I do not have Lucida fonts myself.

> Cambria has a very ugly spacing.

Luatex does not do kerning for utf math right now. This will be handled
correcrly in the future.

> btw. in the wiki is described a ConTeXt command \showmathcharacters.
> This seems not to work anymore. The related file math-run.tex is not
> input at the time of format generation.

\ShowCompleteFont{name:Cambria-Math}{10pt}{1}

> P.S. will the key [texnansi] (or [ec]) remain necessary to switch to
> LucidaBright?

For text fonts, yes. Normally math fonts use an independent encoding.

Aditya

* Re: math problems in last beta (cont-en and cont-xp)
@ 2009-03-23 21:22 ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2009-03-23 21:22 UTC (permalink / raw)

Lutz Haseloff wrote:

> Lucida lacks greek and some operators. I found no embedded LucidaNewMath
> fonts
> in the resulting pdf.

not defined at all (yet) (see end of math-vfu for how to do that; you
can give lucida a try)

> Cambria has a very ugly spacing.

hm, do you have the latest cambria? there might be problems with some
otf math parameters but we need examples before we can act on that

> btw. in the wiki is described a ConTeXt command \showmathcharacters.
> This seems not to work anymore. The related file math-run.tex is not
> input at the time of format generation.

in mkiv we wil use modules for that ... s-fnt-25 is for math

> P.S. will the key [texnansi] (or [ec]) remain necessary to switch to
> LucidaBright?

no

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE

@ 2009-03-24  9:38   ` Lutz Haseloff