* \index[infinity]{$+\infty$} gives an error
@ 2019-02-05 14:37 Mikael P. Sundqvist
From: Mikael P. Sundqvist @ 2019-02-05 14:37 UTC (permalink / raw)

With latest beta, the file below throws me the error given below the
example file. I thought this was possible (see
http://www.pragma-ade.com/general/manuals/cont-enp.pdf, (pdf)page
202). The error is not present if I remove the third problematic index
entry.

/Mikael

% Example file

\starttext
This does not look right:
\index{entry}
\index[key]{entry}
\index[infinifty]{$+\infty$}
\placeindex
\stoptext

% Error message

tex error       > tex error on line 68 in file
/home/mps/tmp/indexproblem.tex: ! Extra }, or forgotten $

<recently read> }

<argument> ...mand {[internal expandable lua function call]}}
                                                  }
\firstofoneargument #1->#1

\doapplyregisterentrycommand ...extcommand {#2}}}}
                                                  \dostoptagged
\registerentry ...plyregisterentrycommand {#2}{#5}
                                                  \fi \popcurrentregister
l.68 }

* Re: \index[infinity]{$+\infty$} gives an error
@ 2019-02-05 16:11 ` Wolfgang Schuster
       [not found]   ` <CAHy-LL8Xd--UhQo0MGre0MB8RjNpQ10-c0kRS9DZ5Q5moJNBMg@mail.gmail.com>
From: Wolfgang Schuster @ 2019-02-05 16:11 UTC (permalink / raw)

Mikael P. Sundqvist schrieb am 05.02.19 um 15:37:
> Hi,
>
> With latest beta, the file below throws me the error given below the
> example file. I thought this was possible (see
> http://www.pragma-ade.com/general/manuals/cont-enp.pdf, (pdf)page
> 202). The error is not present if I remove the third problematic index
> entry.
>
> /Mikael
>
> % Example file
>
> \starttext
> This does not look right:
> \index{entry}
> \index[key]{entry}
> \index[infinifty]{$+\infty$}
\index[infinifty]{$\mathplus\infty$}

ConTeXt uses + as separator in index entries.

In you example the argument is split into the two parts “$” and
“\infty$” which creates two incomplete formulas.

Wolfgang

@ 2019-02-05 19:26     ` Wolfgang Schuster
From: Wolfgang Schuster @ 2019-02-05 19:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Mikael P. Sundqvist; +Cc: mailing users

Mikael P. Sundqvist schrieb am 05.02.19 um 20:17:
> On Tue, Feb 5, 2019 at 5:11 PM Wolfgang Schuster
> <wolfgang.schuster.lists@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Mikael P. Sundqvist schrieb am 05.02.19 um 15:37:
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> With latest beta, the file below throws me the error given below the
>>> example file. I thought this was possible (see
>>> http://www.pragma-ade.com/general/manuals/cont-enp.pdf, (pdf)page
>>> 202). The error is not present if I remove the third problematic index
>>> entry.
>>>
>>> /Mikael
>>>
>>> % Example file
>>>
>>> \starttext
>>> This does not look right:
>>> \index{entry}
>>> \index[key]{entry}
>>> \index[infinifty]{$+\infty$}
>> \index[infinifty]{$\mathplus\infty$}
>>
>> ConTeXt uses + as separator in index entries.
>>
>> In you example the argument is split into the two parts “$” and
>> “\infty$” which creates two incomplete formulas.
>>
>> Wolfgang
> Many thanks, works like charm for +\infty. For -\infty, it seems that
> an endash(?) is picked up instead. I notice the following definitions
> in math-ini.mkiv
>
> \unexpanded\def\mathplus {+}
> \unexpanded\def\mathminus{\ifmmode –\else\iffontchar\font`−−\else –\fi\fi}
Seems wrong to me because math mode should use the normal hyphen.
> So, a follow-up question: Should I use something else than
> \index[minusinfty]{$\mathminus\infty$} if I want -\infty in the index?
Only + is a special character in the index entry but - can be used
without problems
and you don’t have to use \mathminus.

Wolfgang