* horizontal list turns into vertical list in framedtext. A bug or feature?
@ 2007-06-21 19:43 Hamid Kamrani
From: Hamid Kamrani @ 2007-06-21 19:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

I am just wondering if this is a bug or feature or some lack of
understanding on my part. The horizontal list turns into a vertical
list inside a framedtext environment. The same happens in a background
environment.

\starttext
\startframedtext[width=\textwidth]
	\startitemize[5, columns, four]
	\item Excellent student \item Good student \item Mediocre student
\item Poor student
	\stopitemize
\stopframedtext
\stoptext

-Hamid

* Re: horizontal list turns into vertical list in framedtext. A bug or feature?
@ 2007-06-22  7:38 ` Wolfgang Schuster
From: Wolfgang Schuster @ 2007-06-22  7:38 UTC (permalink / raw)

2007/6/21, Hamid Kamrani <hamid.kamrani@gmail.com>:
> I am just wondering if this is a bug or feature or some lack of
> understanding on my part. The horizontal list turns into a vertical
> list inside a framedtext environment. The same happens in a background
> environment.
>
> \starttext
> \startframedtext[width=\textwidth]
>         \startitemize[5, columns, four]
>         \item Excellent student \item Good student \item Mediocre student
> \item Poor student
>         \stopitemize
> \stopframedtext
> \stoptext
>

> -Hamid

Hi Hamid,

this can not work because itemize use for the column option the normal
column environment. I wrote a example that shows the problem and gives
also a solution.

\starttext

\vbox{\hsize=\textwidth
\startsimplecolumns
\input knuth
\stopsimplecolumns}

\blank

\vbox{\hsize=\textwidth
\startcolumns
\input knuth
\stopcolumns}

\stoptext

The second column environment use the output routine to split the content
and is only activated at outer level.

A solution would be to include a test inside itemgroup whether we use
itemize at outer level or inside a box.

Wolfgang

* Re: horizontal list turns into vertical list in framedtext. A bug or feature?
@ 2007-06-22  9:28   ` Wolfgang Schuster
From: Wolfgang Schuster @ 2007-06-22  9:28 UTC (permalink / raw)

2007/6/22, Wolfgang Schuster <schuster.wolfgang@googlemail.com>:
> 2007/6/21, Hamid Kamrani <hamid.kamrani@gmail.com>:
> > I am just wondering if this is a bug or feature or some lack of
> > understanding on my part. The horizontal list turns into a vertical
> > list inside a framedtext environment. The same happens in a background
> > environment.

[explanation and example deleted]

I attached a patched version of the itemgroup macros and it works for me.

Wolfgang

[-- Attachment #2: core-itm-patch.tex --]

* Re: horizontal list turns into vertical list in framedtext. A bug or feature?
@ 2007-06-22 18:41   ` Hamid Kamrani
From: Hamid Kamrani @ 2007-06-22 18:41 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi Wolfgang,

Thanks for your explanation and patch. I appreciate it.
However, with the patch, now I have the problem of correct indentation.
As this example shows:

\input core-itm-patch

\starttext

Consider\par
\startframedtext[width=\textwidth]
\startitemize[n][style=bold]
\item As a college student, how do you rate yourself?
       \startitemize[5, columns, two]
       \item Excellent student \item Good student \item Mediocre student
\item Poor student
       \stopitemize
\stopitemize
\stopframedtext

versus\par

\startitemize[n][style=bold]
\item As a college student, how do you rate yourself?
       \startitemize[5, columns, two]
       \item Excellent student \item Good student \item Mediocre student
\item Poor student
       \stopitemize
\stopitemize
\stoptext

Thanks,
-Hamid

@ 2007-06-24 17:12     ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2007-06-24 17:12 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hamid Kamrani wrote:
> Hi Wolfgang,
>
> Thanks for your explanation and patch. I appreciate it.
> However, with the patch, now I have the problem of correct indentation.
> As this example shows:
>
> \input core-itm-patch

\starttext

\usemodule[streams]

\definestreamlayer[whatever][width=12cm]

\startstreamlayer[whatever]
   \startitemize[columns,two][after=]
     \item one
     \item two
     \item three
     \item four
   \stopitemize
\stopstreamlayer

\framed[strut=no,align=normal]{\placestreamlayer[whatever]\obeydepth}

\starttextstreamlayer[whatever]
   \startitemize[columns,two]
     \item one
     \item two
     \item three
     \item four
   \stopitemize
\stoptextstreamlayer

\framed[strut=no]{\placetextstreamlayer[whatever]}

\stoptext

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE

@ 2007-06-25 16:55       ` Hamid Kamrani
From: Hamid Kamrani @ 2007-06-25 16:55 UTC (permalink / raw)

Thank you, Hans, for directing me to use streams. Not only it takes
care of this problem it also shows me how to do some other stuff that
I had struggled with.

-Hamid

@ 2007-06-25 17:30         ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2007-06-25 17:30 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hamid Kamrani wrote:
> Thank you, Hans, for directing me to use streams. Not only it takes
> care of this problem it also shows me how to do some other stuff that
> I had struggled with.

keep in mind that this otr trickery is indeed trickery; in luatex we can
do real neat things

Hans

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE