* Ducks in ConTeXt
@ 2020-12-24 14:18 Jairo A. del Rio
From: Jairo A. del Rio @ 2020-12-24 14:18 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi everyone!

I've recently ported TikZducks to ConTeXt and finally removed TIkZ along
the way. So a new module was created. The module is called "metaducks"
(lol) and it's essentially a \useMPgraphic{...} with a lot of options, most
of them ported from TikZducks. For those not familiar with the package, it
draws customized rubber ducks :) I want to include some more, so I'll
gladly read any feedback, recommendations and suggestions. Eventually I
want it to be a module on its own. The module is already in the ConTeXt
Group:

https://modules.contextgarden.net/cgi-bin/module.cgi/action=details/id=105

in case anyone wants to give it a try. Here's a minimal example:

\usemodule[metaducks]
\starttext
\ducks[santa=true,mug=true]
\stoptext

I wish the best for you all. Happy holidays!

Cordially,

Jairo :)

* Re: Ducks in ConTeXt
@ 2020-12-24 15:53 ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2020-12-24 15:53 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 12/24/2020 3:18 PM, Jairo A. del Rio wrote:
> Hi everyone!
>
> I've recently ported TikZducks to ConTeXt and finally removed TIkZ along
> the way. So a new module was created. The module is called "metaducks"
> (lol) and it's essentially a \useMPgraphic{...} with a lot of options,
> most of them ported from TikZducks. For those not familiar with the
> package, it draws customized rubber ducks :) I want to include some
> more, so I'll gladly read any feedback, recommendations and suggestions.
> Eventually I want it to be a module on its own. The module is already in
> the ConTeXt Group:
>
> https://modules.contextgarden.net/cgi-bin/module.cgi/action=details/id=105
> <https://modules.contextgarden.net/cgi-bin/module.cgi/action=details/id=105>
>
> in case anyone wants to give it a try. Here's a minimal example:
>
> \usemodule[metaducks]
> \starttext
> \ducks[santa=true,mug=true]
> \stoptext
>
> I wish the best for you all. Happy holidays!
Nice!

You can add, at the end of the module:

\continueifinputfile{t-metaducks.mkvi}

\starttext
     \dorecurse{100}{
         \startTEXpage
             \randomducks % Why plural?
         \stopTEXpage
     }
\stoptext

Which means that you run the module directly you get an example.

No need to add \endinput, so just after the \protect (actually in your
case there is no need for  \unprotect \protect).

Thanks,

Hans

(Who looks out over water where quite often ducks swim.)

* Re: Ducks in ConTeXt
@ 2020-12-24 17:00   ` Jairo A. del Rio
From: Jairo A. del Rio @ 2020-12-24 17:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

El jue, 24 de dic. de 2020 a la(s) 10:53, Hans Hagen (j.hagen@xs4all.nl)
escribió:

> On 12/24/2020 3:18 PM, Jairo A. del Rio wrote:
> > Hi everyone!
> >
> > I've recently ported TikZducks to ConTeXt and finally removed TIkZ along
> > the way. So a new module was created. The module is called "metaducks"
> > (lol) and it's essentially a \useMPgraphic{...} with a lot of options,
> > most of them ported from TikZducks. For those not familiar with the
> > package, it draws customized rubber ducks :) I want to include some
> > more, so I'll gladly read any feedback, recommendations and suggestions.
> > Eventually I want it to be a module on its own. The module is already in
> > the ConTeXt Group:
> >

> https://modules.contextgarden.net/cgi-bin/module.cgi/action=details/id=105
> > <
> https://modules.contextgarden.net/cgi-bin/module.cgi/action=details/id=105
> >

> > in case anyone wants to give it a try. Here's a minimal example:
> >
> > \usemodule[metaducks]
> > \starttext
> > \ducks[santa=true,mug=true]
> > \stoptext
> >
> > I wish the best for you all. Happy holidays!
> Nice!
>
> You can add, at the end of the module:
>
> \continueifinputfile{t-metaducks.mkvi}
>
> \starttext
>      \dorecurse{100}{
>          \startTEXpage
>              \randomducks % Why plural?

Because \duck is already taken by TikZducks :(

>          \stopTEXpage
>      }
> \stoptext
>
> Which means that you run the module directly you get an example.

Oh, that explains \continueifinputfile in some source files. Nice. I'll add
my test example.

> No need to add \endinput, so just after the \protect (actually in your
> case there is no need for  \unprotect \protect).

I want to do some additional trickery later, so \unprotect ... \protect are
fine there, I think :)

> Thanks,

Thanks to you! I enjoy typesetting with ConTeXt and I'm very happy with all
their possibilities.

> Hans
>
> (Who looks out over water where quite often ducks swim.)

Lucky you! We have a nice bay in Callao, but no ducks. I have to visit my
mother's homeland to see them in the wild :D

Best regards,

Jairo :)

* Re: Ducks in ConTeXt
@ 2020-12-31 12:17 ` Wolfgang Schuster
From: Wolfgang Schuster @ 2020-12-31 12:17 UTC (permalink / raw)

Jairo A. del Rio schrieb am 24.12.2020 um 15:18:
> Hi everyone!
>
> I've recently ported TikZducks to ConTeXt and finally removed TIkZ
> along the way. So a new module was created. The module is called
> "metaducks" (lol) and it's essentially a \useMPgraphic{...} with a lot
> of options, most of them ported from TikZducks. For those not familiar
> with the package, it draws customized rubber ducks :) I want to
> include some more, so I'll gladly read any feedback, recommendations
> and suggestions. Eventually I want it to be a module on its own. The
> module is already in the ConTeXt Group:
>
> https://modules.contextgarden.net/cgi-bin/module.cgi/action=details/id=105
>
> in case anyone wants to give it a try. Here's a minimal example:
>
> \usemodule[metaducks]
> \starttext
> \ducks[santa=true,mug=true]
> \stoptext
>
> I wish the best for you all. Happy holidays!

It's nice to see a new third party module for ConTeXt but you have to
make a few changes.

1. You have to put the module and the documentation in the correct doc
and tex folders.

2. You should give your manual a better name, e.g. metaducks-manual.tex

3. You can put your color definitions in the module, there is no need
for a new color file, especially because most of the colors you use are
already predefined.

Wolfgang

* Re: Ducks in ConTeXt
@ 2021-01-02 18:23   ` Jairo A. del Rio
From: Jairo A. del Rio @ 2021-01-02 18:23 UTC (permalink / raw)

El jue, 31 de dic. de 2020 a la(s) 07:17, Wolfgang Schuster (
wolfgang.schuster.lists@gmail.com) escribió:

> Jairo A. del Rio schrieb am 24.12.2020 um 15:18:
> > Hi everyone!
> >
> > I've recently ported TikZducks to ConTeXt and finally removed TIkZ
> > along the way. So a new module was created. The module is called
> > "metaducks" (lol) and it's essentially a \useMPgraphic{...} with a lot
> > of options, most of them ported from TikZducks. For those not familiar
> > with the package, it draws customized rubber ducks :) I want to
> > include some more, so I'll gladly read any feedback, recommendations
> > and suggestions. Eventually I want it to be a module on its own. The
> > module is already in the ConTeXt Group:
> >

> https://modules.contextgarden.net/cgi-bin/module.cgi/action=details/id=105
> >
> > in case anyone wants to give it a try. Here's a minimal example:
> >
> > \usemodule[metaducks]
> > \starttext
> > \ducks[santa=true,mug=true]
> > \stoptext
> >
> > I wish the best for you all. Happy holidays!
>
> It's nice to see a new third party module for ConTeXt but you have to
> make a few changes.
>
> 1. You have to put the module and the documentation in the correct doc
> and tex folders.

I'm doing it now. Thanks, I'll give my module some more order.

> 2. You should give your manual a better name, e.g. metaducks-manual.tex

Agreed. I'll prepare a better manual before updating.

> 3. You can put your color definitions in the module, there is no need
> for a new color file, especially because most of the colors you use are
> already predefined.

Oh, colors are a bit different, so I copied RGB definitions from
xcolor.sty, especially because with ConTeXt colors ducks looked a bit
"brown" rather than yellow. However, I can merge t-metaducks.mkvi and
colo-imp-xcolor.mkiv if necessary.

Thank you for your feedback.

Jairo

> Wolfgang

* Re: Ducks in ConTeXt
@ 2021-01-02 18:34     ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2021-01-02 18:34 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 1/2/2021 7:23 PM, Jairo A. del Rio wrote:

> El jue, 31 de dic. de 2020 a la(s) 07:17, Wolfgang Schuster
> (wolfgang.schuster.lists@gmail.com
> <mailto:wolfgang.schuster.lists@gmail.com>) escribió:
>
>     Jairo A. del Rio schrieb am 24.12.2020 um 15:18:
>      > Hi everyone!
>      >
>      > I've recently ported TikZducks to ConTeXt and finally removed TIkZ
>      > along the way. So a new module was created. The module is called
>      > "metaducks" (lol) and it's essentially a \useMPgraphic{...} with
>     a lot
>      > of options, most of them ported from TikZducks. For those not
>     familiar
>      > with the package, it draws customized rubber ducks :) I want to
>      > include some more, so I'll gladly read any feedback, recommendations
>      > and suggestions. Eventually I want it to be a module on its own. The
>      > module is already in the ConTeXt Group:
>      >
>      >
>     https://modules.contextgarden.net/cgi-bin/module.cgi/action=details/id=105
>     <https://modules.contextgarden.net/cgi-bin/module.cgi/action=details/id=105>
>      >
>      > in case anyone wants to give it a try. Here's a minimal example:
>      >
>      > \usemodule[metaducks]
>      > \starttext
>      > \ducks[santa=true,mug=true]
>      > \stoptext
>      >
>      > I wish the best for you all. Happy holidays!
>
>     It's nice to see a new third party module for ConTeXt but you have to
>     make a few changes.
>
>     1. You have to put the module and the documentation in the correct doc
>     and tex folders.
>

> I'm doing it now. Thanks, I'll give my module some more order.
>
>     2. You should give your manual a better name, e.g. metaducks-manual.tex
>

> Agreed. I'll prepare a better manual before updating.
>
>     3. You can put your color definitions in the module, there is no need
>     for a new color file, especially because most of the colors you use are
>     already predefined.
>

> Oh, colors are a bit different, so I copied RGB definitions from
> xcolor.sty, especially because with ConTeXt colors ducks looked a bit
> "brown" rather than yellow. However, I can merge t-metaducks.mkvi and
> colo-imp-xcolor.mkiv if necessary.
no need to merge ... in lmtx you can play with

withcolor "red"

and such ... best keep colors abstract

Hans