* a new book has been published, made with the help of ConTeXt
@ 2020-12-19 21:11 Robert Zydenbos
From: Robert Zydenbos @ 2020-12-19 21:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

Dear readers,

With great joy and a sense of relief I can now announce that my latest book, _A Manual of Modern Kannada_ by Robert Zydenbos (Heidelberg / Berlin: CrossAsia E-Publishing, 2020), a teaching manual of the Kannada language (Kannada belongs to the Dravidian family of languages, mainly spoken in southern India; also in the city of Bangalore, the 'Silicon Valley of India') has been published. It is an Open Access publication, which means it is available as a gratis download in PDF format from https://crossasia-books.ub.uni-heidelberg.de/xasia/catalog/book/736 (the clickable button “Buch herunterladen” means “Download book”; “Buch kaufen” means “Buy book”, for those who want a real book on paper).

I was working on this book for the past few years and decided that the only affordably sensible way to achieve presentable results would be to use TeX, but plain TeX was too cumbersome, and in LaTeX the tables were difficult (and the book has many, many tables in various shapes and sizes). ConTeXt was The Solution (and has been duly mentioned in the technical note at the end of the book, with special thanks to Hans, Wolfgang and Pablo for valuable suggestions).

For those who are curious how I used ConTeXt MkII with the XeTeX backend, a sample chapter is available at http://e.pc.cd/XlhotalK (and then click on "Direkt herunterladen").

Robert Zydenbos

* Re: a new book has been published, made with the help of ConTeXt
@ 2020-12-20  0:09 ` Pablo Rodriguez
From: Pablo Rodriguez @ 2020-12-20  0:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

On 12/19/20 10:11 PM, Robert Zydenbos wrote:
> Dear readers,
>
> With great joy and a sense of relief I can now announce that my
> latest book, _A Manual of Modern Kannada_ by Robert Zydenbos
> (Heidelberg / Berlin: CrossAsia E-Publishing, 2020), a teaching
> manual of the Kannada language (Kannada belongs to the Dravidian
> family of languages, mainly spoken in southern India; also in the
> city of Bangalore, the 'Silicon Valley of India') has been
> published.
Congratulations for the release of your book, Robert.

It is really a pleasure to be able to page through the final PDF.

> [...] ConTeXt was The Solution [...].

Would it be the [features=kannada-one] also a solution for a similar book?

I’d like to know if something would be missing (besides the hyphenation
patterns).

Congratulations again for your excellent book,

Pablo
--
http://www.ousia.tk

* Re: a new book has been published, made with the help of ConTeXt
@ 2020-12-23 14:10   ` Robert Zydenbos
From: Robert Zydenbos @ 2020-12-23 14:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

On 20.12.20 01:09, Pablo Rodriguez wrote:

> Congratulations for the release of your book, Robert.
> It is really a pleasure to be able to page through the final PDF.
>>
>> [...] ConTeXt was The Solution [...].
>
> Would it be the [features=kannada-one] also a solution for a similar book?

I submitted the PDF to the publisher already last August. At the time I was not yet aware of this happy development in MkIV, and so the book was made with MkII using XeTeX as the backend. But in view of the various advances that were made with MkIV, I hope to make the next book using that one.

> I’d like to know if something would be missing (besides the hyphenation patterns).

For the recent book I had no great need for Indic hyphenation patterns, because all the Kannada text fragments were quite short and hyphenation could be done manually. But for longer texts (as I have in mind in an upcoming book), the patterns will be most welcome.

> Congratulations again for your excellent book,

Thank you!

Robert