* resetting footnote counter
@ 2018-08-09 15:21 Robert Zydenbos
From: Robert Zydenbos @ 2018-08-09 15:21 UTC (permalink / raw)

What I've done is the following: I've made a zip archive (see attachment) with a few relevant files – the two first files that will be a part of the book: preface.tex and how-to-use.tex, together with an environment file manual-environment-xasia.tex with a lot of settings, and the starting file sample.tex which puts everything together.

This does not need odd things like exotic fonts, and it does not contain uncommon tables etc. I've changed the main font to TeX Gyre Termes, which all of us have (so I assume, since it comes with the major TeX distributions), so there should be no problems there either; but if there is an error message, you can comment out line 12 in manual-environment-xasia.tex and de-comment line 13 to turn the font into Times (or you can change the name of the font to anything you have on your computer).

Right now I am using an iMac with the latest OS installed.

The 'footnotes' will be placed at the end of the chapters (i.e., they will be endnotes).

If you run sample.tex through ConTeXt and XeTeX (i.e., MkII) and look at the final page, you will see that the footnote / endnote marker has not been reset.

Robert

> On 9. Aug 2018, at 16:37, Aditya Mahajan <adityam@umich.edu> wrote:
>
> On Thu, 9 Aug 2018, Robert Zydenbos wrote:
>
>> I have tried ‘\resetcounter [footnote]’ (a suggested solution on that web page), but it does not work (at least not in MkII+XeTeX). ‘\setupcounter [footnote] [0]’ (also suggested on that web page) is rejected as an error.
>
> Can you post a minimal example. Because the following works in MKII (counter reset at each chapter) […]

[-- Attachment #2: endnote-sample.zip --]
[-- Type: application/zip, Size: 12429 bytes --]

* Re: resetting footnote counter
@ 2018-08-09 15:48 ` Wolfgang Schuster
From: Wolfgang Schuster @ 2018-08-09 15:48 UTC (permalink / raw)

You disable the chapter counter with

    \setuphead [chapter] [incrementnumber=no]

which prevents the reset of the footnote counter.

Wolfgang

@ 2018-08-09 15:23             ` Wolfgang Schuster
From: Wolfgang Schuster @ 2018-08-09 15:23 UTC (permalink / raw)

Have you tried to use mkiv for your document.

Wolfgang

@ 2018-08-09 15:18               ` Robert Zydenbos
From: Robert Zydenbos @ 2018-08-09 15:18 UTC (permalink / raw)

What I've done is the following: I've made a zip archive (see attachment) with a few relevant files – the two first files that will be a part of the book: preface.tex and how-to-use.tex, together with an environment file manual-environment-xasia.tex with a lot of settings, and the starting file sample.tex which puts everything together.

This does not need odd things like exotic fonts, and it does not contain uncommon tables etc. I've changed the main font to TeX Gyre Termes, which all of us have (so I assume, since it comes with the major TeX distributions), so there should be no problems there either; but if there is an error message, you can comment out line 12 in manual-environment-xasia.tex and de-comment line 13 to turn the font into Times (or you can change the name of the font to anything you have on your computer).

Right now I am using an iMac with the latest OS installed.

The 'footnotes' will be placed at the end of the chapters (i.e., they will be endnotes).

If you run sample.tex through ConTeXt and XeTeX (i.e., MkII) and look at the final page, you will see that the footnote / endnote marker has not been reset.

Robert

> On 9. Aug 2018, at 16:37, Aditya Mahajan <adityam@umich.edu> wrote:
>
> On Thu, 9 Aug 2018, Robert Zydenbos wrote:
>
>> I have tried ‘\resetcounter [footnote]’ (a suggested solution on that web page), but it does not work (at least not in MkII+XeTeX). ‘\setupcounter [footnote] [0]’ (also suggested on that web page) is rejected as an error.
>
> Can you post a minimal example. Because the following works in MKII (counter reset at each chapter) […]

[-- Attachment #2: endnote-sample.zip --]
[-- Type: application/zip, Size: 92054 bytes --]

* Re: resetting footnote counter
@ 2018-08-09 14:37             ` Aditya Mahajan
From: Aditya Mahajan @ 2018-08-09 14:37 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Thu, 9 Aug 2018, Robert Zydenbos wrote:

> I have tried ‘\resetcounter [footnote]’ (a suggested solution on that
> web page), but it does not work (at least not in MkII+XeTeX).
> ‘\setupcounter [footnote] [0]’ (also suggested on that web page) is
> rejected as an error.

Can you post a minimal example. Because the following works in MKII
(counter reset at each chapter)

\setupfootnotes[way=bychapter]

\starttext
\dorecurse{5}
{\chapter{New Chapter}
   \dorecurse{5}{\input ward\footnote{A quote by ward}}}
\stoptext

The following also works with the counter reset at each section:

\setupfootnotes[way=bysection]

\starttext
\dorecurse{5}
{\section{New Chapter}
   \dorecurse{5}{\input ward\footnote{A quote by ward}}}
\stoptext

and the following works with the footnote reset at each page:

\setupfootnotes[way=bypage]

\starttext
\dorecurse{5}
{\section{New Chapter}
   \dorecurse{5}{\input ward\footnote{A quote by ward}}}
\stoptext

All examples were run using:

ConTeXt  ver: 2018.04.04 00:51 MKII  fmt: 2018.7.3  int: english/english

and the documents were compiled using

texexec --xetex filename

Aditya

* Re: resetting footnote counter
@ 2018-08-09 12:49           ` Robert Zydenbos
From: Robert Zydenbos @ 2018-08-09 12:49 UTC (permalink / raw)

@ 2018-08-08 22:01         ` Robert Zydenbos
From: Robert Zydenbos @ 2018-08-08 22:01 UTC (permalink / raw)

Pablo's example works well on my machine. So there must be a disturbance at a different level in my complex text – perhaps in my settings:

\setupnotedefinition [footnote] [location=serried, distance=1em, hang=1em]

or

\setupfootnotes[bodyfont={Mainfont,8pt}, width=\textwidth, frameoffset=1em, location=none, way=bychapter]

which in all other respects work fine? ('Mainfont' is my own definition, from a typescript; I also added 'way=bychapter', to no effect.) The only thing that does not happen is the resetting of the note counter.

If I had a command that simply says "the counter named X (=footnote counter) is now 0 again", which I could insert at the beginning of every chapter, the problem would be solved. (Not so elegant, but it would be a solution.)

Robert

@ 2018-08-08 15:59   ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2018-08-08 15:59 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 8/8/2018 5:48 PM, Aditya Mahajan wrote:
> On Wed, 8 Aug 2018, Robert Zydenbos wrote:
>
>> A simple footnote question this time. I would like to print endnotes
>> at the end of every chapter in my book, and then reset the footnote
>> counter so that in the next chapter the first note will be ‘1’ again.
>> I suppose this should be done by means of \setupfootnotes – but with
>> which parameter?
>
> \setupnotation[footnote][way=bychapter]
>
> \starttext
> \dorecurse{5}
> {\startchapter[title=New Chapter]
>    \dorecurse{5}{\input ward\footnote{A quote by ward}}
> \stopchapter}
> \stoptext
>
> With regard to your other thread about documentation of footnotes, the
> way I understand it is that \setupnotation is used to configure how the
> actual footnote is displayed and setupnotation has similar options to
> \setupdescription. So, alternative=serried corresponds to a similar
> option for descriptions.
>
> Note that the above is for MkIV. For MkII, I think that you need
> \setupfootnotes insted of \setupnotation[footnote].
Indeed, mkiv is different ... in fact notes are a complex mechanism:

- rendering in line (the marker)
- rendering the text (anywhere)
- interaction with the page builder (depending on kind)
- stacking multiple classes
- line notes (refering to lien numbers)

etc. Most of what is in mkii is there in mkiv but in mkiv the textual
rendering has been split and is called notation (on top of a generalized
mechanism that also does descriptions, enumerations and more).

The complication is that we need to group settings for (1) the markers,
(2) the text, (3) the overall mechanism. Of course inheritance also
kicks in then.

Hans

* Re: resetting footnote counter
@ 2018-08-08 15:48 ` Aditya Mahajan
From: Aditya Mahajan @ 2018-08-08 15:48 UTC (permalink / raw)

@ 2018-08-08 15:36       ` Pablo Rodriguez
From: Pablo Rodriguez @ 2018-08-08 15:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

--
http://www.ousia.tk

* Re: resetting footnote counter
@ 2018-08-08 15:20       ` Wolfgang Schuster
From: Wolfgang Schuster @ 2018-08-08 15:20 UTC (permalink / raw)

%\setupnote[footnote][way=bychapter,location=none]
\setupfootnotes[way=bychapter,location=none]

\starttext

\dorecurse{10}
   {\expanded{\chapter{Chapter \recurselevel}}
    \dorecurse{10}{\input tufte\footnote{\input ward }\par}
    \placenotes[footnote]}

\stoptext

Wolfgang

@ 2018-08-08 15:03     ` Robert Zydenbos
From: Robert Zydenbos @ 2018-08-08 15:03 UTC (permalink / raw)

@ 2018-08-08 14:54   ` Pablo Rodriguez
From: Pablo Rodriguez @ 2018-08-08 14:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

@ 2018-08-08 13:55 ` Taco Hoekwater
From: Taco Hoekwater @ 2018-08-08 13:55 UTC (permalink / raw)

> On 8 Aug 2018, at 15:33, Robert Zydenbos <context@zydenbos.net> wrote:
>
> A simple footnote question this time. I would like to print endnotes at the end of every chapter in my book, and then reset the footnote counter so that in the next chapter the first note will be ‘1’ again. I suppose this should be done by means of \setupfootnotes – but with which parameter?

Like this (and I also agree that footnote/endnote setup is a bit complicated, but of course the concept is already quite complicated itself):

\setupnotation[endnote][way=bychapter]

\starttext

\chapter{One}

\dorecurse{20}{\input knuth\endnote{Endnote}}

\placenotes[endnote]

\chapter{Two}

\dorecurse{20}{\input knuth\endnote{Endnote}}

\placenotes[endnote]

\stoptext

Best wishes,

Taco