From: Pablo Rodriguez via ntg-context <ntg-context@ntg.nl>
To: Henning Hraban Ramm via ntg-context <ntg-context@ntg.nl>
Cc: Pablo Rodriguez <oinos@gmx.es>
Subject: Re: Issue with interactive checkboxes[solved]
Date: Wed, 25 May 2022 19:52:54 +0200	[thread overview]

On 5/24/22 19:58, Henning Hraban Ramm via ntg-context wrote:
> Am 24.05.22 um 18:43 schrieb Pablo Rodriguez via ntg-context:
>> But what I experienced in Acrobat Reader DC (on a borrowed computer) is
>> that you get the standard image (only when field is enabled) when you
>> click elsewhere in the document.
>>
>> I guess that this may be related to a missing implementation, but first
>> I would like to confirm you are experiencing the same.
>
> Custom checkboxes and radiobuttons used to work many years ago, but
> they’re broken for years – Hans blames Adobe for that.

Many thanks for your reply and your extensive testing, Hraban.

[Sorry for the late reply, but I have to do this on my free time.]

I have the impression that this issue might be more complex than Acrobat
misbehaving (in my opinion).

/Annot /Widget may be missing /MK /CA which contains this description
(https://opensource.adobe.com/dc-acrobat-sdk-docs/standards/pdfstandards/pdf/PDF32000_2008.pdf#nameddest=G11.2096745):

  The widget annotation’s normal caption, which shall be displayed when
  it is not interacting with the user.

But since this value is a text string, I wonder whether its value may be
/T from the parent (/FT /Btn).

Again, I don’t really know what is going on here.

But adding the /T from parent, by manually editing it:

  /MK << /CA <FEFF0063006800650063006B002D0033> >>

This makes the mark different and permanent in Acrobat (although I don’t
get the right image). You may click on other area and the check mark
doesn’t vanish.

Maybe the issue is that check boxes don’t work exactly the way the rest
of us might have expected.

Sorry, but I’m again in a hurry.

Many thanks for your help,

Pablo