* Re: Question to covers
       [not found] <20180728081230.GA31599@akela.mendelu.cz>
@ 2018-07-28  9:15 ` Henning Hraban Ramm
From: Henning Hraban Ramm @ 2018-07-28  9:15 UTC (permalink / raw)

Am 2018-07-28 um 10:12 schrieb Tomas Hala <tomas.hala@mendelu.cz>:

> Hi Hraban, Wolfgang and Hans,
> nobody else reacted so I am writing

Better keep this on the list.

> Thanks to Hraban for the code and Wolfgang for its revision, it's a good
> material how to work with layers, measures  (I'll inspire by it) etc.

You’re welcome.

> 1. Is a ConTeXt layer accepted as a whole in commercial Acrobat, or is it
> visible as a heap of small objects? Or is it "only" better for more
> comfortable manipulation in ConTeXt?

I don’t understand the question.
A ConTeXt layer is not a PDF layer.
All the objects are manipulatable in Acrobat Pro (or another PDF editor),
there’s no grouping on the PDF level.

> 2. Is better to write it as much as possible at ConTeXt level (as Hraban or
> Wolfgang did), or is better to write it in lua? There is more than dozen
> measures... Also more computations are required and they are different
> for different kinds of covers (book bindings).

I guess it’s a matter of taste.
Of course calculations are easier in Lua, but in my image placement macros
I struggled a lot with numbers vs. measures/dimensions, regardless if in Lua
or on the TeX level.

Greetlings, Hraban
---
https://www.fiee.net
http://wiki.contextgarden.net
https://www.dreiviertelhaus.de
GPG Key ID 1C9B22FD

* Re: Question to covers
@ 2018-07-28 10:01   ` Henning Hraban Ramm
From: Henning Hraban Ramm @ 2018-07-28 10:01 UTC (permalink / raw)

Am 2018-07-28 um 11:15 schrieb Henning Hraban Ramm <texml@fiee.net>:

> Am 2018-07-28 um 10:12 schrieb Tomas Hala <tomas.hala@mendelu.cz>:
>> 1. Is a ConTeXt layer accepted as a whole in commercial Acrobat, or is it
>> visible as a heap of small objects? Or is it "only" better for more
>> comfortable manipulation in ConTeXt?
>
> I don’t understand the question.
> A ConTeXt layer is not a PDF layer.
> All the objects are manipulatable in Acrobat Pro (or another PDF editor),
> there’s no grouping on the PDF level.

If you need PDF layers, there are "viewer layers" in ConTeXt:

\defineviewerlayer[Ebene]
\setupviewerlayer[Ebene][
  state=start,
  visible=no,
  title=Test,
]

\starttext

Text

\startviewerlayer[Ebene]
{\bfa TOP SECRET}
\stopviewerlayer

More Text

\stoptext

AFAIK completely undocumented, I found them at http://source.contextgarden.net/tex/context/base/mkiv/attr-lay.mkiv
while tracking effects/properties (where these were implemented first).

While the example above works, I don’t get viewer layers in my current project, must investigate...
And then, if the combination of ConTeXt layers and viewer layers works (\setlayer within \start/stopviewerlayer?).

Greetlings, Hraban
---

@ 2018-07-28 10:30     ` Wolfgang Schuster
From: Wolfgang Schuster @ 2018-07-28 10:30 UTC (permalink / raw)

Henning Hraban Ramm schrieb am 28.07.18 um 12:01:
> Am 2018-07-28 um 11:15 schrieb Henning Hraban Ramm <texml@fiee.net>:
>
>> Am 2018-07-28 um 10:12 schrieb Tomas Hala <tomas.hala@mendelu.cz>:
>>> 1. Is a ConTeXt layer accepted as a whole in commercial Acrobat, or is it
>>> visible as a heap of small objects? Or is it "only" better for more
>>> comfortable manipulation in ConTeXt?
>> I don’t understand the question.
>> A ConTeXt layer is not a PDF layer.
>> All the objects are manipulatable in Acrobat Pro (or another PDF editor),
>> there’s no grouping on the PDF level.
> If you need PDF layers, there are "viewer layers" in ConTeXt:
>
> \defineviewerlayer[Ebene]
> \setupviewerlayer[Ebene][
>    state=start,
>    visible=no,
>    title=Test,
> ]
>
> \starttext
>
> Text
>
> \startviewerlayer[Ebene]
> {\bfa TOP SECRET}
> \stopviewerlayer
>
> More Text
>
> \stoptext
>
> AFAIK completely undocumented, I found them at http://source.contextgarden.net/tex/context/base/mkiv/attr-lay.mkiv
> while tracking effects/properties (where these were implemented first).
>
> While the example above works, I don’t get viewer layers in my current project, must investigate...
> And then, if the combination of ConTeXt layers and viewer layers works (\setlayer within \start/stopviewerlayer?).

You have to put the viewerlayer command within the the \setlayer argument.

Wolfgang

* Re: Viewer layers (was: Question to covers)
@ 2018-07-28 11:03       ` Henning Hraban Ramm
From: Henning Hraban Ramm @ 2018-07-28 11:03 UTC (permalink / raw)

Am 2018-07-28 um 12:30 schrieb Wolfgang Schuster <wolfgang.schuster.lists@gmail.com>:
>> AFAIK completely undocumented, I found them at http://source.contextgarden.net/tex/context/base/mkiv/attr-lay.mkiv
>> while tracking effects/properties (where these were implemented first).
>>
>> While the example above works, I don’t get viewer layers in my current project, must investigate...
>> And then, if the combination of ConTeXt layers and viewer layers works (\setlayer within \start/stopviewerlayer?).
>
> You have to put the viewerlayer command within the the \setlayer argument.

Thank you! I just found it in
http://source.contextgarden.net/tex/context/base/mkiv/meta-ini.mkiv?search=viewerlayer

Also created a wiki page: http://wiki.contextgarden.net/Viewer_Layers

I still don’t get layers working in my big project. Thought it might be "scope=global", but that didn’t help.
Are there any settings that might influence viewer layers?

Greetlings, Hraban
---

@ 2018-07-21 20:06       ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2018-07-21 20:06 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 7/21/2018 7:12 PM, Henning Hraban Ramm wrote:
> Hi Wolfgang,
>
> thank you so much!
>
> If we put the externalfigure setup in front, we can also calculate the spine width:
>
> \getfiguredimensions[MAG]
> \definemeasure [SpineWidth] [\dimexpr0.01mm * (\noffigurepages/2) + 0.5mm\relax]
>
> Where 0.01mm is the paper thickness (100 g/m2) and 0.5mm is the folding addition – ask your printshop/bookbinder how much they need!
it's on my agenda for a while to make some helpers for spines (esp handy
for MP), there is actually already a variable for a while

but .. too hot now (and i need to work on the house)

* Re: Question to covers
@ 2018-07-21 17:12     ` Henning Hraban Ramm
From: Henning Hraban Ramm @ 2018-07-21 17:12 UTC (permalink / raw)

Am 2018-07-21 um 17:39 schrieb Wolfgang Schuster <schuster.wolfgang@gmail.com>:

> [...]
>
> 2. I determined the last page of the megazine with the \getfiguredimensions command, afterwards you can use the \noffigurepages command to get the last page of the document.
>
> 3. I put the layer and frame settings for the \setlayerframed command in separate arguments.
>
> 4. I got rid of the backgrounds setup for the layer. A better solution here is to create a page without margins which can be done with the "page" layout where you flush the collected content of the layer with the \flushlayer command.
>
> 5. I set the texts for the isse number and title with the \setvariables command.
>
> Wolfgang
>
> %%%%%%
> \definemeasure [SpineWidth]  [6mm]
> \definemeasure [SpineOffset] [\dimexpr(\measure{SpineWidth}-9pt)/5\relax]
>
> \definepapersize
>   [Cover]
>   [width=\dimexpr420mm+\measure{SpineWidth}\relax,
>    height=297mm]
>
> \setuppapersize [Cover]
>
> \setupexternalfigures [directory={_pdf}]
>
> \useexternalfigure [MAG] [magazine.pdf]
>
> \setvariables
>   [cover]
>   [issue={34},
>    topic={Topic}]
>
> \setuplayout
>   [marking=on]
>
> \definelayer
>   [whole]
>   [width=\paperwidth,
>    height=\paperheight]
>
> \starttext
>
> \startlayout [page]
>
> \setlayer
>   [whole]
>   [x=0mm,
>    y=0mm]
>   {\getfiguredimensions[MAG]
>    \externalfigure[MAG][page=\noffigurepages]}
>
> \setlayer
>   [whole]
>   [x=\dimexpr210mm+\measure{SpineWidth}\relax,
>    y=0mm]
>   {\externalfigure[MAG][page=1]}
>
> \setlayerframed
>   [whole]
>   [x=210mm,
>    y=20mm]
>   [frame=off,
>    offset=overlay,
>    width=\measure{SpineWidth},
>    align=center]
>   {\getvariable{cover}{issue}}
>
> \setlayerframed
>   [whole]
>   [x=210mm,
>    y=92mm]
>   [frame=off,
>    offset=overlay,
>    align=right,
>    width=\measure{SpineWidth},
>    height=190mm]
>   {\rotate
>      [rotation=90,
>       align={right,middle},
>       frame=off,
>       height=\measure{SpineWidth},
>       width=190mm]
>      {\vskip\measure{SpineOffset}
>       \vbox{MAGAZINE\hfill\getvariable{cover}{topic}}}}

* Re: Question to covers
@ 2018-07-21 15:39   ` Wolfgang Schuster
From: Wolfgang Schuster @ 2018-07-21 15:39 UTC (permalink / raw)

@ 2018-07-20 18:49 ` Henning Hraban Ramm
From: Henning Hraban Ramm @ 2018-07-20 18:49 UTC (permalink / raw)

Am 2018-07-20 um 17:16 schrieb Tomas Hala <tomas.hala@mendelu.cz>:

> I would like to ask whether we have got some module or macros
> for comfortable proposing of covers for different kinds of binding,
> containing automatic computation of the corresponding measurments
> and displaying the parts for bookbinders (eg cutting lines,
> protection zones, bends, pasting parts etc.)

Hi Tomáš,

I don’t know of anything existing.
Find attached what I use for a magazine – I include title and back pages in the main PDF (to get a complete issue for corrections and online distribution) and use that as externalfigure, just creating the spine anew.
HTH

Greetlings, Hraban
---
https://www.fiee.net
http://wiki.contextgarden.net
https://www.dreiviertelhaus.de
GPG Key ID 1C9B22FD

[-- Attachment #2: cover.tex --]

\newdimen\Spinewidth
\newdimen\SpineOffset
\Spinewidth=6mm
\useexternalfigure[MAG][_pdf/magazine.pdf]
\def\ISSUE{34}
\def\TOPIC{Topic}
\def\LastPage{112} % don’t know how to compute that

\SpineOffset=\dimexpr(\Spinewidth - 9pt)/5\relax

\definepapersize[Cover]
  [width=\dimexpr 420mm + \Spinewidth\relax,
  height=297mm]
\setuppapersize[Cover]
\usetypescriptfile[myfont]
\setupbodyfont[myfont,9pt]
\setuplayout[
  marking=on,
]
\setuppagenumbering[state=stop]

\definelayer[whole]
  [width=\paperwidth,
  height=\paperheight]
\setupbackgrounds[page][background={whole},state=start]

\definecolor[cmykblack][c=0,m=0,y=0,k=1]
\setupcolors[
  pagecolormodel=auto,
  rgb=no,cmyk=yes,spot=no,
  state=start,
  overprint=yes,
  intent={Uncoated FOGRA29 (ISO 12647-2:2004)},
  textcolor=cmykblack
]
\starttext
\strut

\setlayer[whole]
  [hoffset=0mm,
  voffset=0mm]{%
  \externalfigure[MAG][page=\LastPage]}

\setlayer[whole]
  [hoffset=\dimexpr 210mm + \Spinewidth\relax,
  voffset=0mm]{%
  \externalfigure[MAG][page=1]}

\setlayerframed[whole]
    [x=210mm,
    y=20mm,
    frame=off,
    offset=overlay,
    width=\Spinewidth,
    align=center]{\ISSUE}

\setlayerframed[whole]
  [x=210mm,y=92mm,
  frame=off,
  offset=overlay,
  align=right,
  width=\Spinewidth,
  height=190mm,
  %height=\dimexpr\paperheight -15mm\relax,
  ]{%
  \rotate[rotation=90,
  align={right,middle},
  frame=off,
  height=\Spinewidth,
  width=190mm,
  ]{\vskip\SpineOffset\vbox{MAGAZINE\hfill\TOPIC}}}

\stoptext

* Question to covers
@ 2018-07-20 15:16 Tomas Hala