* typesetting Arabic today
@ 2008-06-01 16:31 Burak Emir
From: Burak Emir @ 2008-06-01 16:31 UTC (permalink / raw)

First of all, I'd wish to express my thanks to the makers of and
contributors to ConTeXt - it is quite a pleasure to use so far.

Now for my concern: I want to typeset Arabic.

What would I use?

I am aware of ArabTex, I haven't yet tried Omega... however, I followed some
presentations for LuaTeX and typesetting Arabic was mentioned there as
motivation. This is how I got to ConTeXt in the first place.

Trying the documentation, I ended up on the following page which says "TODO"
http://wiki.contextgarden.net/Arabic_and_Hebrew

I also searched mail archives, but the mails I found on this subject were
from 2003, so I thought it is worth probing for an update.

Any news or hints appreciated.

Thanks,
Burak

--
Burak Emir
--

* Re: typesetting Arabic today
@ 2008-06-02  6:29 ` Wolfgang Schuster
From: Wolfgang Schuster @ 2008-06-02  6:29 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Sun, Jun 1, 2008 at 6:31 PM, Burak Emir <burak.emir@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> First of all, I'd wish to express my thanks to the makers of and
> contributors to ConTeXt - it is quite a pleasure to use so far.
>
> Now for my concern: I want to typeset Arabic.
>
> What would I use?
>
> I am aware of ArabTex, I haven't yet tried Omega... however, I followed some
> presentations for LuaTeX and typesetting Arabic was mentioned there as
> motivation. This is how I got to ConTeXt in the first place.

Omega is dead or nearly dead and part of the code is integrated in LuaTeX.

> Trying the documentation, I ended up on the following page which says "TODO"
> http://wiki.contextgarden.net/Arabic_and_Hebrew
>
> I also searched mail archives, but the mails I found on this subject were
> from 2003, so I thought it is worth probing for an update.
>
> Any news or hints appreciated.

The MkIV manual [1] has a section about arabic, you try the following code
with LuaTeX or XeTeX (should work).

\definefontfeature
  [arab-default]
  [mode=node,language=dflt,script=arab,
   init=yes,medi=yes,fina=yes,isol=yes,
   liga=yes,dlig=yes,rlig=yes,clig=yes,
   mark=yes,mkmk=yes,kern=yes,curs=yes]

\definefont[ArabFont][arabtype*arab-default at 18pt]

\starttext

Normal text.

{\ArabFont Your arabic text.}

\stoptext

arabtype in \definefont is the name of your font and you should
replace it with one available on your system.

[1] http://pragma-ade.nl/show-man-41.htm

Greetings
Wolfgang

* Re: typesetting Arabic today
@ 2008-06-02 18:43   ` Idris Samawi Hamid
From: Idris Samawi Hamid @ 2008-06-02 18:43 UTC (permalink / raw)

Somehow, the original post from Burak never made it to my mailbox,
strange...

Anyway:

On Mon, 02 Jun 2008 00:29:32 -0600, Wolfgang Schuster
<schuster.wolfgang@googlemail.com> wrote:

> On Sun, Jun 1, 2008 at 6:31 PM, Burak Emir <burak.emir@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> First of all, I'd wish to express my thanks to the makers of and
>> contributors to ConTeXt - it is quite a pleasure to use so far.
>>
>> Now for my concern: I want to typeset Arabic.
>>
>> What would I use?

luaTeX and mkiv. XeTeX is there but stick with luaTeX if possible.

>> I am aware of ArabTex, I haven't yet tried Omega... however, I followed
>> some
>> presentations for LuaTeX and typesetting Arabic was mentioned there as
>> motivation. This is how I got to ConTeXt in the first place.
>
> Omega is dead or nearly dead and part of the code is integrated in
> LuaTeX.
>
>> Trying the documentation, I ended up on the following page which says
>> "TODO"
>> http://wiki.contextgarden.net/Arabic_and_Hebrew

http://wiki.contextgarden.net/Aleph_Guide

was once the main guide. Aleph was a merge of etex and Omega, succeeded by
luatex. You can still use the old Omega way of doing things in luatex --
as explained in that guide, but it's better to use the new mechanism and
opentype fonts.

>> I also searched mail archives, but the mails I found on this subject
>> were
>> from 2003, so I thought it is worth probing for an update.

I should write one; will put this on the todo list...

>> Any news or hints appreciated.
>
> The MkIV manual [1] has a section about arabic, you try the following
> code
> with LuaTeX or XeTeX (should work).

XeTeX is there but stick with luaTeX if possible.

> \definefontfeature
>   [arab-default]
>   [mode=node,language=dflt,script=arab,
>    init=yes,medi=yes,fina=yes,isol=yes,
>    liga=yes,dlig=yes,rlig=yes,clig=yes,
>    mark=yes,mkmk=yes,kern=yes,curs=yes]
>
> \definefont[ArabFont][arabtype*arab-default at 18pt]
>
> \starttext
>
> Normal text.
>
> {\ArabFont Your arabic text.}
>
> \stoptext

This example misses the direction parameters. Try the attached file. If
you are on XP then the Traditional Arabic font is already on your system.

You will notice that vowels do not work well with Traditional Arabic.
Uncomment the line

%\font \TradArabic    = arabtype*test    at 28pt

and see the difference (arabtype comes with vista but you can google and
download it). The problem is that Uniscribe has text-processing info that
is not in Traditional Arabic font, and that font was designed for Windows
systems only. Eventually we will be able to oveload OpenType features to
correct this kind of (mis)behavior.

Note also that you may only use utf-8, not Windows-1256 etc!

Best wishes
Idris

International Journal of Shi`i Studies
Department of Philosophy
Colorado State University
Fort Collins, CO 80523

[-- Attachment #2: traditional_arabic-test.tex --]

* Re: typesetting Arabic today
@ 2008-06-02 19:18     ` Idris Samawi Hamid
From: Idris Samawi Hamid @ 2008-06-02 19:18 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Mon, 02 Jun 2008 12:43:04 -0600, Idris Samawi Hamid
<ishamid@colostate.edu> wrote:

>> Omega is dead or nearly dead

It's dead, only the funeral and burial remain to be done ;-)

@ 2008-06-04  0:24       ` Burak Emir
From: Burak Emir @ 2008-06-04  0:24 UTC (permalink / raw)

Thanks a lot for the answers, they saved me from going down abandoned paths.

I have installed mkiv and have not yet figured out out how to run luatex on
that attached file... but will try a bit more before asking newbie
questions, I feel I should at least try to look at dome documentation before
asking newbie questions : )

Burak

On Mon, Jun 2, 2008 at 9:18 PM, Idris Samawi Hamid <ishamid@colostate.edu>
wrote:

> On Mon, 02 Jun 2008 12:43:04 -0600, Idris Samawi Hamid
> <ishamid@colostate.edu> wrote:
>
> >> Omega is dead or nearly dead
>
> It's dead, only the funeral and burial remain to be done ;-)
>
> Best wishes
> Idris
>
> --
> Professor Idris Samawi Hamid, Editor-in-Chief
> International Journal of Shi`i Studies
> Department of Philosophy
> Colorado State University
> Fort Collins, CO 80523

Burak Emir
--

@ 2008-06-06  6:44         ` Wolfgang Schuster
From: Wolfgang Schuster @ 2008-06-06  6:44 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Wed, Jun 4, 2008 at 2:24 AM, Burak Emir <burak.emir@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Thanks a lot for the answers, they saved me from going down abandoned paths.
>
> I have installed mkiv and have not yet figured out out how to run luatex on
> that attached file... but will try a bit more before asking newbie
> questions, I feel I should at least try to look at dome documentation before
> asking newbie questions : )

ConTeXt should use normally use LauTeX by itself for the file because the first
line in the file is "% engine=luatex", you could call process the file with
"texexec --lua myfile" and LuaTeX will be used because of the lua parameter.

You could test it with a example file, place the following lines in a
file test.tex

% engine=luatex
\starttext
Text
\stoptext

and process it with "texexec test" and take a look at the document proferences,
the field PDF-Producer should contain something like luaTeX-0.25.3.

Wolfgang

* Re: typesetting Arabic today
@ 2008-06-06  7:43           ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2008-06-06  7:43 UTC (permalink / raw)

Wolfgang Schuster wrote:
> On Wed, Jun 4, 2008 at 2:24 AM, Burak Emir <burak.emir@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> Thanks a lot for the answers, they saved me from going down abandoned paths.
>>
>> I have installed mkiv and have not yet figured out out how to run luatex on
>> that attached file... but will try a bit more before asking newbie
>> questions, I feel I should at least try to look at dome documentation before
>> asking newbie questions : )
>
> ConTeXt should use normally use LauTeX by itself for the file because the first
> line in the file is "% engine=luatex", you could call process the file with
> "texexec --lua myfile" and LuaTeX will be used because of the lua parameter.

or use 'context yourfile' which is independent of ruby and also faster

Hans

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE

@ 2008-06-07 10:37             ` Burak Emir
From: Burak Emir @ 2008-06-07 10:37 UTC (permalink / raw)

Thanks all. I will follow up in a moment with separate threads describing
problems I am encountering.

Burak

On Fri, Jun 6, 2008 at 9:43 AM, Hans Hagen <pragma@wxs.nl> wrote:

> Wolfgang Schuster wrote:
> > On Wed, Jun 4, 2008 at 2:24 AM, Burak Emir <burak.emir@gmail.com> wrote:
> >> Hi,
> >>
> >> Thanks a lot for the answers, they saved me from going down abandoned
> paths.
> >>
> >> I have installed mkiv and have not yet figured out out how to run luatex
> on
> >> that attached file... but will try a bit more before asking newbie
> >> questions, I feel I should at least try to look at dome documentation
> before
> >> asking newbie questions : )
> >
> > ConTeXt should use normally use LauTeX by itself for the file because the
> first
> > line in the file is "% engine=luatex", you could call process the file
> with
> > "texexec --lua myfile" and LuaTeX will be used because of the lua
> parameter.
>
> or use 'context yourfile' which is independent of ruby and also faster
>
> Hans

Burak Emir
--

@ 2008-06-07 20:09     ` Burak Emir
From: Burak Emir @ 2008-06-07 20:09 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi again,

On Mon, Jun 2, 2008 at 8:43 PM, Idris Samawi Hamid <ishamid@colostate.edu>
wrote:

> http://wiki.contextgarden.net/Aleph_Guide
>
> was once the main guide. Aleph was a merge of etex and Omega, succeeded by
> luatex. You can still use the old Omega way of doing things in luatex -- as
> explained in that guide, but it's better to use the new mechanism and
> opentype fonts.

My luatex is not working for the moment, I am using the context minimals
distribution on MacOS X.

Would the old Omega way documented on that page also work with the xetex
engine?

Thanks + kind regards,
Burak

--
Burak Emir
--

@ 2008-06-07 20:18       ` Idris Samawi Hamid
From: Idris Samawi Hamid @ 2008-06-07 20:18 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi, Burak,

On Sat, 07 Jun 2008 14:09:14 -0600, Burak Emir <burak.emir@gmail.com>
wrote:

> Hi again,
>
> On Mon, Jun 2, 2008 at 8:43 PM, Idris Samawi Hamid
> <ishamid@colostate.edu>
> wrote:
>

>> http://wiki.contextgarden.net/Aleph_Guide
>>
>> was once the main guide. Aleph was a merge of etex and Omega, succeeded
>> by
>> luatex. You can still use the old Omega way of doing things in luatex
>> -- as
>> explained in that guide, but it's better to use the new mechanism and
>> opentype fonts.
>>

> My luatex is not working for the moment, I am using the context minimals
> distribution on MacOS X.
>
> Would the old Omega way documented on that page also work with the xetex
> engine?

No, XeTeX does not support Omega/Aleph commands. If you find an aleph
binary for Mac I guess you could try that, but don't give up on luaTeX
just yet, I'm sure someone on the list will figure out what's wrong....

Best wishes
Idris

International Journal of Shi`i Studies
Department of Philosophy
Colorado State University
Fort Collins, CO 80523

* Re: typesetting Arabic today
@ 2008-06-07 20:48         ` Burak Emir
                             ` (2 more replies)
From: Burak Emir @ 2008-06-07 20:48 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Sat, Jun 7, 2008 at 10:18 PM, Idris Samawi Hamid <ishamid@colostate.edu>
wrote:

> Hi, Burak,

Hi Idris,

> On Sat, 07 Jun 2008 14:09:14 -0600, Burak Emir <burak.emir@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
>  Hi again,
>>
>> On Mon, Jun 2, 2008 at 8:43 PM, Idris Samawi Hamid <ishamid@colostate.edu
>> >
>> wrote:
>>

>>  http://wiki.contextgarden.net/Aleph_Guide
>>>
>>> was once the main guide. Aleph was a merge of etex and Omega, succeeded
>>> by
>>> luatex. You can still use the old Omega way of doing things in luatex --
>>> as
>>> explained in that guide, but it's better to use the new mechanism and
>>> opentype fonts.
>>>

>> My luatex is not working for the moment, I am using the context minimals
>> distribution on MacOS X.
>>
>> Would the old Omega way documented on that page also work with the xetex
>> engine?
>>

> No, XeTeX does not support Omega/Aleph commands. If you find an aleph
> binary for Mac I guess you could try that, but don't give up on luaTeX just
> yet, I'm sure someone on the list will figure out what's wrong....

I did not have the intention of giving up : ) Mojca suggested I try to
source in setuptex, I will try that next then. I was just waiting if
somebody might reply to Jean.

Let me ask another question then: once luatex works, how can I make use of
the ttf font? I suppose it is not as simple as copying it in the
fonts/truetype directory and running mktexlsr?

I had a glance at the mfonts.pdf manual, and I already installed FontForge
aka pfaedit, but I do not know yet how it all plays together.

Thanks,
Burak
--
Burak Emir
--

@ 2008-06-07 20:58           ` Idris Samawi Hamid
From: Idris Samawi Hamid @ 2008-06-07 20:58 UTC (permalink / raw)

Salaam,

On Sat, 07 Jun 2008 14:48:29 -0600, Burak Emir <burak.emir@gmail.com>
wrote:

> I did not have the intention of giving up : ) Mojca suggested I try to
> source in setuptex, I will try that next then. I was just waiting if
> somebody might reply to Jean.

Good luck ;-)

> Let me ask another question then: once luatex works, how can I make use
> of
> the ttf font? I suppose it is not as simple as copying it in the
> fonts/truetype directory and running mktexlsr?

Forget mktexlsr. Just put the font in your working directory or the main
Mac directory (I don't know Mac) and luatex wil pick it up, if all has
been configured correctly.

See also the sample file I sent. luaTeX just searches the default font
folder, Windows/Fonts in my case.

> I had a glance at the mfonts.pdf manual, and I already installed
> FontForge
> aka pfaedit, but I do not know yet how it all plays together.

Why do you need FF?

@ 2008-06-07 21:04           ` Mojca Miklavec
From: Mojca Miklavec @ 2008-06-07 21:04 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Sat, Jun 7, 2008 at 10:48 PM, Burak Emir wrote:

> Let me ask another question then: once luatex works, how can I make use of
> the ttf font? I suppose it is not as simple as copying it in the
> fonts/truetype directory and running mktexlsr?

Yes, you only need to copy the font to fonts/truetype or
fonts/opentype (but use some subfolders) or set
    export OSFONTSDIR=/path/to/your/fonts
and run
    luatoos --generate
which is the mkiv equivalent of mktexlsr (not even sure if that's still needed).

Afterwards, you can use the font with
   \font\a="font name" \a
but you probably need arabic features (and high-level interface is preferred).

\definefontsynonym[myfont][name:Name of Your Font][features=default]
but probably not default for Arabic. I let Idris answer that question.

> I had a glance at the mfonts.pdf manual, and I already installed FontForge
> aka pfaedit, but I do not know yet how it all plays together.

You don't need any of it.

Mojca

* Re: typesetting Arabic today
@ 2008-06-07 21:11           ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2008-06-07 21:11 UTC (permalink / raw)

Burak Emir wrote:

> Let me ask another question then: once luatex works, how can I make use of
> the ttf font? I suppose it is not as simple as copying it in the
> fonts/truetype directory and running mktexlsr?

there is no mktexlsr in mkiv ... just luatools --generate (or context
--generate)

just put the fonts someplace hwere they can be found

then run

luatools --generate
mtxrun --script font --reload

and aterthat you can access the font by filename (lookup is case
insensitive) or by name (know variants of the name)

> I had a glance at the mfonts.pdf manual, and I already installed FontForge
> aka pfaedit, but I do not know yet how it all plays together.

it's much simpler than that ... idris can tell you .. no need for
texfont etc

Hans

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE
                                              | www.pragma-pod.nl

* Re: typesetting Arabic today
@ 2008-06-07 21:45             ` Burak Emir
       [not found]               ` <op.ucee5qyrnx1yh1@your-b27fb1c401>
                                 ` (2 more replies)
From: Burak Emir @ 2008-06-07 21:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: Hans Hagen, Idris Samawi Hamid, Mojca Miklavec

On Sat, Jun 7, 2008 at 11:11 PM, Hans Hagen <pragma@wxs.nl> wrote:

> it's much simpler than that ... idris can tell you .. no need for
> texfont etc

Thanks, all! This is great. I did not expect font handling to be so easy.
Yes I was trying texfont.pl, the scary perl script.

One thing I found suspicious: I tried to find out whether OSFONTSDIR
supports several ':' separated directories (on Mac OS, there is
/Library/Fonts and ~/Library/Fonts), by setting  OSFONTSDIR and rerunning
luatools --generate. However, I did not see a change in the numbers of
indexed files.

In any case, after settings fonts up and compiling (texexec --luatex
traditional_arabic-test.tex), my font is not found currently...

Here is what I did, in detail

> export OSFONTSDIR=/Users/buraq/Library/Fonts
> ls $OSFONTSDIR/arabtype.ttf
/Users/buraq/Library/Fonts/arabtype.ttf
> luatools --generate
> mtxrun --script font --reload
> texexec --luatex traditional_arabic-test.tex
define font | font with name arabtype is not found
define font | unknown font arabtype, loading aborted
! Font \TradArabic=arabtype*test2 at 28pt not loadable: metric data not
found or bad.

Is there an easy way to find out which fonts are known to the system? (after
luatools --generate)

Here are the relevant source lines (slightly changed from Idris' example
file)

 \definefontfeature
   [test2]
   [mode=node,language=dflt,script=arab,
    init=yes,medi=yes,fina=yes,isol=yes,
    liga=yes,dlig=yes,rlig=yes,clig=yes,
    mark=yes,mkmk=yes,kern=yes,curs=yes]

  \font \TradArabic = arabtype*test2 at 28pt

kind regards,
Burak

--
Burak Emir
--

@ 2008-06-07 22:03                 ` Burak Emir
From: Burak Emir @ 2008-06-07 22:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Idris Samawi Hamid

Selaam,

On Sat, Jun 7, 2008 at 11:54 PM, Idris Samawi Hamid <ishamid@colostate.edu>
wrote:

> On Sat, 07 Jun 2008 15:45:20 -0600, Burak Emir <burak.emir@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>  Here is what I did, in detail
>

>>  export OSFONTSDIR=/Users/buraq/Library/Fonts
>>> ls $OSFONTSDIR/arabtype.ttf
>>>
>> /Users/buraq/Library/Fonts/arabtype.ttf
>>
>>> luatools --generate
>>> mtxrun --script font --reload
>>> texexec --luatex traditional_arabic-test.tex

>> define font | font with name arabtype is not found
>> define font | unknown font arabtype, loading aborted
>> ! Font \TradArabic=arabtype*test2 at 28pt not loadable: metric data not
>> found or bad.
>>

> I'm curious, does it work if you put the font in the current directory?

Yes, this worked! : D What a pleasure to see the fruits of debugging.
Shukran : )

Can one tell "luatools --generate" to see which path it picks up from
OSFONTSDIR? There are some nice arabic fonts that come with Mac systems (or
maybe, they came with the KeyNote or Pages, I don't know)

Burak
--
Burak Emir
--

@ 2008-06-07 22:28               ` Burak Emir
From: Burak Emir @ 2008-06-07 22:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: Hans Hagen, Idris Samawi Hamid, Taco Hoekwater, Mojca Miklavec

Hi everybody,

I want to say a big thank you to everybody who answered my questions today!

With your help, I was able to
* debug my broken environment setting
* learn about the setuptex script I should use
* learn about font handling, in source files and in file hierarchy (though
the latter does not quite work yet)
* make my local context script run again (you may want to fix it in
release?)
* learn how I can revert to a previous release by date

So in short, though some problems are ongoing, with your help my luatex
setup works now.

I will stop firing questions at the list for today :-)

cheers,
Burak

--
Burak Emir