From: Hans Hagen via ntg-context <ntg-context@ntg.nl>
To: Max Chernoff <mseven@telus.net>,
Cc: Hans Hagen <j.hagen@freedom.nl>
Subject: Re: No error when loading a non-existent module
Date: Fri, 26 Aug 2022 07:40:30 +0200	[thread overview]

On 8/26/2022 3:00 AM, Max Chernoff wrote:
> Hi Hans,
>
> On Thu, 2022-08-25 at 08:57 +0200, Hans Hagen wrote:
>> On 8/25/2022 2:19 AM, Max Chernoff via ntg-context wrote:
>> But ... you can already do
>>
>> \enabledirectives[logs.errors=*]
>>
>> or
>>
>> \enabledirectives[logs.errors=missing modules]
>
> Didn't know about that, thanks.
>
> However, this still continues processing the document and produces a PDF
> at the end. All that that seems to do is make ConTeXt exit with a non-
> zero status code, which is fairly easy to ignore if you're not paying
> attention.

If someone doesn't pay that kind of attention one can wonder about the
quality of the document.

> Is there a way to make this produce a nice little "error" PDF as soon as
> the error occurs just like using "\undefined" does?

Only If I add it as option (directive driven, must find some good name
for it).

Most modules add commands and that shows immediately. Modules that kick
in without some command that needs to enable something are sort of
not-done or rare and experimental only and comparable to when some
module patches or overloads core functionality withoutr mentioning it.

Also, keep in mind that styles can also be modules and that normally
shows in ta different output.

>> and if needed can add that line to a local cont-loc.mkxl file so that it
>> always kicks in.
>
> Didn't know about that either.

Ah, that's one of the oldest features: cont-new (for patched before
updates), cont-loc (for local preferences) and cont-exp (for wolfgang
and me)

> But wouldn't it make sense for this to be an error by default? Nothing
> good can happen if a user loads a non-existent (or misspelled) module.
> \nonstopmode. I think that making this an error by default would break
> very few working documents. In exchange, most users would get much more
> helpful error messages.
It would never be default because it is quite possible to have cases
where a module became redundant or is optional. There arte very few
cases where we are not downward 'command and file' compatible (the most
noticeable exceptions are when font, language and encoding subsystems
fundamentally change).

Hans