From: David Wooten <david.wooten@mac.com>
Subject: Re: Initial Font Installation Question (Mac)
Date: Sat, 12 Mar 2005 15:07:25 -0800	[thread overview]

On Mar 12, 2005, at 1:49 PM, Adam Lindsay wrote:

> David Wooten said this at Fri, 11 Mar 2005 15:40:14 -0800:
>
>> That is, when I try to use
>> any special glyph, be it an accented character of any kind, or e.g. an
>> eth.
>
> Hi David,
>
> I took a look at your file (off-list), and it looks like you're using
> the
> 8r encoding. Interesting that you bring the "eth" up, because that
> character doesn't exist in the 8r encoding.

Yes, that's my error—let's change that to thorn :)
8r encoding it is.

>> The result of something like \"a (or \"{a}) is _a_ without the
>> diacritic.
>
> Hmm. What do your typescript definitions look like, then? Does ConTeXt
> know you're using 8r as the encoding for the font?

I believe so. An example from the typescript file:

\usetypescriptfile [type-buy]
\loadmapfile [8r-stf-andulka-book.map]

\starttypescript [serif] [andulka-book] [name]
	\definefontsynonym [Serif]	 [Andulka-Book]
\stoptypescript

\starttypescript [serif] [andulka-book] [8r]
	\definefontsynonym [Andulka-Book] [8r-andulkabook]
\stoptypescript

>> Curiously (to me, at least:), if I enter the actual glyph:
>> ä, it gives me the character I need…but only for a few runs!
>
> Okay, that now becomes an interaction between regime (input file
> encoding) and the rest. It could be coincidence that ä is in the same
> slot (228) with both regime and encoding. Which regime are you using?
> Are
> you sure it lines up with the encoding in (say) TeXshop?

I use TextMate for the text editing, and it's currently saving in
UTF-8. …this area of "regime and encoding" isn't very clear to me. That
sounds like a clue.

>> Some trials evince an ff-ligature as the diacritic.
>
> That's another data point pointing to the encoding not being in synch.
>
> So. More input required, but right now I'm eyeing the encoding with
> suspicion.
>
> adam
>
> P.S. As a side point, Andulka does indeed look like a nice, sturdy,
> legible text font. A bit like the free (but masterfully drawn) Charter,
> but with a lot more personality.

Yes, I've grown fond of it, especially at a smaller size. Funny you
should mention Charter in this regard, as it always had a certain
appeal.