* copy/paste text broken with certain ligatures
@ 2016-04-14 13:47 Brian R. Landy
From: Brian R. Landy @ 2016-04-14 13:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

Hi, sometime between version 2015.08.05 and 2016.04.10 the handling of
certain ligatures changed (sorry, I don't have intermediate versions to
test with).  The issue is the ligatures no longer copy/paste as the
original two characters, which also breaks text searched of the pdf.
Instead they copy as a single glyph.

I'm seeing the problem with "ti" and "fj", while others like "ffi",
"fi", and "ff" are fine in both versions.

I see this using Calibri (other fonts I tried don't support those two
ligatures):

   \starttypescript[cleartype]
     \definetypeface[\typescriptone][ss][sans][calibri][default]
   \stoptypescript
   \usetypescript[cleartype]
   \setupbodyfont[cleartype,sans,10pt]
   \starttext
   ffi\par
   fi\par
   ff\par
   fi\par
   ti\par
   fj\par
   \stoptext

Thank you.

Best regards,
Brian

* Re: copy/paste text broken with certain ligatures
@ 2016-04-14 22:24 ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2016-04-14 22:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

On 4/14/2016 3:47 PM, Brian R. Landy wrote:
> Hi, sometime between version 2015.08.05 and 2016.04.10 the handling of
> certain ligatures changed (sorry, I don't have intermediate versions to
> test with).  The issue is the ligatures no longer copy/paste as the
> original two characters, which also breaks text searched of the pdf.
> Instead they copy as a single glyph.
>
> I'm seeing the problem with "ti" and "fj", while others like "ffi",
> "fi", and "ff" are fine in both versions.
>
> I see this using Calibri (other fonts I tried don't support those two
> ligatures):
>
>    \starttypescript[cleartype]
>      \definetypeface[\typescriptone][ss][sans][calibri][default]
>    \stoptypescript
>    \usetypescript[cleartype]
>    \setupbodyfont[cleartype,sans,10pt]
>    \starttext
>    ffi\par
>    fi\par
>    ff\par
>    fi\par
>    ti\par
>    fj\par
>    \stoptext
>
> Thank you.

not all pdf viewers can do that well, unless it's broken, context
outputs the tounicode vectors needed for it

Hans

* Re: copy/paste text broken with certain ligatures
@ 2016-04-15  3:39   ` Brian R. Landy
From: Brian R. Landy @ 2016-04-15  3:39 UTC (permalink / raw)

> On Apr 14, 2016, at 6:24 PM, Hans Hagen <pragma@wxs.nl> wrote:
>
>> On 4/14/2016 3:47 PM, Brian R. Landy wrote:
>> Hi, sometime between version 2015.08.05 and 2016.04.10 the handling of
>> certain ligatures changed (sorry, I don't have intermediate versions to
>> test with).  The issue is the ligatures no longer copy/paste as the
>> original two characters, which also breaks text searched of the pdf.
>> Instead they copy as a single glyph.
>>
>> I'm seeing the problem with "ti" and "fj", while others like "ffi",
>> "fi", and "ff" are fine in both versions.
>>
>> I see this using Calibri (other fonts I tried don't support those two
>> ligatures):
>>
>>   \starttypescript[cleartype]
>>     \definetypeface[\typescriptone][ss][sans][calibri][default]
>>   \stoptypescript
>>   \usetypescript[cleartype]
>>   \setupbodyfont[cleartype,sans,10pt]
>>   \starttext
>>   ffi\par
>>   fi\par
>>   ff\par
>>   fi\par
>>   ti\par
>>   fj\par
>>   \stoptext
>>
>> Thank you.
>
> not all pdf viewers can do that well, unless it's broken, context outputs the tounicode vectors needed for it
>
> Hans

But Acrobat works fine with the pdf generated by the older version of ConTeXt, which also uses the ligatures. So something must be different about the files generated by the two versions?

I can post examples tomorrow if you'd like.

Thanks,

@ 2016-04-15 11:31   ` Ulrike Fischer
From: Ulrike Fischer @ 2016-04-15 11:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

Am Fri, 15 Apr 2016 00:24:26 +0200 schrieb Hans Hagen:

> On 4/14/2016 3:47 PM, Brian R. Landy wrote:
>> Hi, sometime between version 2015.08.05 and 2016.04.10 the handling of
>> certain ligatures changed (sorry, I don't have intermediate versions to
>> test with).  The issue is the ligatures no longer copy/paste as the
>> original two characters, which also breaks text searched of the pdf.
>> Instead they copy as a single glyph.
>>
>> I'm seeing the problem with "ti" and "fj", while others like "ffi",
>> "fi", and "ff" are fine in both versions.
>>

> not all pdf viewers can do that well, unless it's broken, context
> outputs the tounicode vectors needed for it

I can't copy the two ligatures either (in Adobe Reader DC), but with
the equivalent latex example (TL2016 pretest) it works fine. So imho
it is not a viewer problem.

--
Ulrike Fischer
http://www.troubleshooting-tex.de/

* Re: copy/paste text broken with certain ligatures
@ 2016-04-16 13:22     ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2016-04-16 13:22 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 4/15/2016 1:31 PM, Ulrike Fischer wrote:
> Am Fri, 15 Apr 2016 00:24:26 +0200 schrieb Hans Hagen:
>
>> On 4/14/2016 3:47 PM, Brian R. Landy wrote:
>>> Hi, sometime between version 2015.08.05 and 2016.04.10 the handling of
>>> certain ligatures changed (sorry, I don't have intermediate versions to
>>> test with).  The issue is the ligatures no longer copy/paste as the
>>> original two characters, which also breaks text searched of the pdf.
>>> Instead they copy as a single glyph.
>>>
>>> I'm seeing the problem with "ti" and "fj", while others like "ffi",
>>> "fi", and "ff" are fine in both versions.
>>>

>> not all pdf viewers can do that well, unless it's broken, context
>> outputs the tounicode vectors needed for it
>
> I can't copy the two ligatures either (in Adobe Reader DC), but with
> the equivalent latex example (TL2016 pretest) it works fine. So imho
> it is not a viewer problem.

i looked into it and it's two things combined ...

(1) when we explicitly pass tounicodes luatex mistakenly falls back to
the index (a next release repairs this)

(2) this happens here because calibri lacks the information (no names to
deduce ligature from) .. so, i now have some extra heuristics in the
font loader that get them from the gsub features

Hans

* Re: copy/paste text broken with certain ligatures
@ 2016-04-18 14:56       ` Brian R. Landy
From: Brian R. Landy @ 2016-04-18 14:56 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Sat, 16 Apr 2016, Hans Hagen wrote:

> On 4/15/2016 1:31 PM, Ulrike Fischer wrote:

>>> not all pdf viewers can do that well, unless it's broken, context
>>> outputs the tounicode vectors needed for it
>>
>> I can't copy the two ligatures either (in Adobe Reader DC), but with
>> the equivalent latex example (TL2016 pretest) it works fine. So imho
>> it is not a viewer problem.
>
> i looked into it and it's two things combined ...
>
> (1) when we explicitly pass tounicodes luatex mistakenly falls back to
> the index (a next release repairs this)
>
> (2) this happens here because calibri lacks the information (no names
> to deduce ligature from) .. so, i now have some extra heuristics in
> the font loader that get them from the gsub features

Thank you Hans, this worked perfectly.  I appreciate your help with
this!  (and thanks, too, for fixing the dash issue I raised recently).

Best regards,
Brian