* Strange behavior of framed text
@ 2008-02-21  3:09 Aditya Mahajan
From: Aditya Mahajan @ 2008-02-21  3:09 UTC (permalink / raw)

In core-rul.tex we have

%D We define the general (and original) case by just saying:
\defineframedtext[\v!framedtext]

This gives strange user behavior. Consider the following

\defineframedtext[test][width=broad]

\showframe
\starttext

\starttest
   \input tufte
\stoptest

\startframedtext[test]
   \input tufte
\stopframedtext

\stoptext

The two framedtext have different widths. Why not say

\def\startframedtext
   {\dosingleempty\dostartframedtext}

\def\stopframedtext{\dostopframedtext}

Aditya

* Re: Strange behavior of framed text
@ 2008-02-21  8:19 ` Wolfgang Schuster
From: Wolfgang Schuster @ 2008-02-21  8:19 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Thu, Feb 21, 2008 at 4:09 AM, Aditya Mahajan <adityam@umich.edu> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> In core-rul.tex we have
>
> %D We define the general (and original) case by just saying:
> \defineframedtext[\v!framedtext]

This defines

\startframedtext ... \stopframedtext and \framedtext{...}

> This gives strange user behavior. Consider the following
>
> \defineframedtext[test][width=broad]
>
> \showframe
> \starttext
>
> \starttest
>   \input tufte
> \stoptest
>
> \startframedtext[test]
>   \input tufte
> \stopframedtext

This should be:

\dostartframedtext[test]
\dostopframedtext

The "[test]" is interpreted as optional argument for the predefined
\startframedtext ... \stopframedtext environment.

> \stoptext
>
> The two framedtext have different widths. Why not say
>
> \def\startframedtext
>   {\dosingleempty\dostartframedtext}
>
> \def\stopframedtext{\dostopframedtext}

Take a look into core-rul.tex,

\startframedtext is a short form for \dostartframedtext[framedtext]
and \starttest for \dostartframedtext[test].

Wolfgang

* Re: Strange behavior of framed text
@ 2008-02-21 14:01   ` Aditya Mahajan
From: Aditya Mahajan @ 2008-02-21 14:01 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Thu, 21 Feb 2008, Wolfgang Schuster wrote:

> On Thu, Feb 21, 2008 at 4:09 AM, Aditya Mahajan <adityam@umich.edu> wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> In core-rul.tex we have
>>
>> %D We define the general (and original) case by just saying:
>> \defineframedtext[\v!framedtext]
>
> This defines
>
> \startframedtext ... \stopframedtext and \framedtext{...}
>
>> This gives strange user behavior. Consider the following
>>
>> \defineframedtext[test][width=broad]
>>
>> \showframe
>> \starttext
>>
>> \starttest
>>   \input tufte
>> \stoptest
>>
>> \startframedtext[test]
>>   \input tufte
>> \stopframedtext
>
> This should be:
>
> \dostartframedtext[test]
> \dostopframedtext
>
> The "[test]" is interpreted as optional argument for the predefined
> \startframedtext ... \stopframedtext environment.
>
>> \stoptext
>>
>> The two framedtext have different widths. Why not say
>>
>> \def\startframedtext
>>   {\dosingleempty\dostartframedtext}
>>
>> \def\stopframedtext{\dostopframedtext}
>
> Take a look into core-rul.tex,
>
> \startframedtext is a short form for \dostartframedtext[framedtext]
> and \starttest for \dostartframedtext[test].

I understand why this is happening. However, I think that the behaviour is
inconsistent with how rest of the things behave, and was asking for a
change in core-rul.tex.

Aditya