* typesetting documentation
@ 2008-03-24 14:01 Hans van der Meer
From: Hans van der Meer @ 2008-03-24 14:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: NTG ConTeXt

I kept this answer to my question in 2002 on typesetting the
documentation:

> these files are now in theregular distribution, so
>
>  texexec --modu --pdf somedoc.tex
>
> should work
>
> Hans [Hagen]

Trying it today (through texmfstart or directly texexec) I get:
	No pages of output.

Searching for "typeset documentation" in the ConTeXtWiki gives no clues.
The texexec documentation there lists --module as the option to use:
so I am baffled.
How to typeset ConTeXt documentation today?

Hans van der Meer

* Re: typesetting documentation
@ 2008-03-24 14:42 ` Aditya Mahajan
From: Aditya Mahajan @ 2008-03-24 14:42 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Mon, 24 Mar 2008, Hans van der Meer wrote:

> I kept this answer to my question in 2002 on typesetting the
> documentation:
>
>> these files are now in theregular distribution, so
>>
>>  texexec --modu --pdf somedoc.tex
>>
>> should work
>>
>> Hans [Hagen]
>

> Trying it today (through texmfstart or directly texexec) I get:
> 	No pages of output.
>
> Searching for "typeset documentation" in the ConTeXtWiki gives no clues.
> The texexec documentation there lists --module as the option to use:
> so I am baffled.
> How to typeset ConTeXt documentation today?

Last I cecked, this method worked. This is also what the wiki says

http://wiki.contextgarden.net/Official_ConTeXt_Documentation#ConTeXt_Sources

Personally, these days I just download the files from Luigi's website

http://www.logosrl.it/context/modules/current/

Aditya

* Re: typesetting documentation
@ 2008-03-24 15:04   ` luigi scarso
From: luigi scarso @ 2008-03-24 15:04 UTC (permalink / raw)

>  Personally, these days I just download the files from Luigi's website
>
>  http://www.logosrl.it/context/modules/current/
>
>  Aditya

Unfortunatly, they are outdated.

Currently I'm working on luatex
http://www.logosrl.it/context/luatex

and context mkiv
http://www.logosrl.it/context/mkiv/

List of oll modules
http://www.logosrl.it/context/mkiv/modules

Lua modules
http://www.logosrl.it/context/mkiv/pdf

I will only update pdftex .

--
luigi
it's new .

* Re: typesetting documentation
@ 2008-03-24 19:16   ` Hans van der Meer
From: Hans van der Meer @ 2008-03-24 19:16 UTC (permalink / raw)

I looked up what Aditya said can be found in the wiki and did:

	texmfstart texexec --module kpse:mult-ini.tex

I get the following output on my console:
108 ~/Temp/tex: texmfstart texexec --module kpse:mult-ini.tex
/usr/local/texlive/texmf-context/scripts/context/ruby/ctxtools.rb:
641:in `initialize': Permission denied - /usr/local/texlive/texmf-
context/tex/context/base/mult-ini.ted (Errno::EACCES)
	from /usr/local/texlive/texmf-context/scripts/context/ruby/
ctxtools.rb:641:in `open'
	from /usr/local/texlive/texmf-context/scripts/context/ruby/
ctxtools.rb:641:in `documentation'
	from /usr/local/texlive/texmf-context/scripts/context/ruby/
ctxtools.rb:629:in `each'
	from /usr/local/texlive/texmf-context/scripts/context/ruby/
ctxtools.rb:629:in `documentation'
	from /usr/local/texlive/texmf-context/scripts/context/ruby/
ctxtools.rb:2778:in `send'
	from /usr/local/texlive/texmf-context/scripts/context/ruby/
ctxtools.rb:2778

The permissions of the directory involved can be seen from:
	ls -l /usr/local/texlive/texmf-context/tex/context
==>
	drwxr-xr-x 767 sysop staff 26078 11 mrt 18:31 base

That is, texexec tries to write into a directory for which has no
write access. I operate normally as myself and only for the
installation of software assume the role of system operator (to hinder
rogue programs and protect myself from stupid deletes, for example).

Do I understand correctly from this, that unless one has write access
to the tex installation directories one cannot typeset the module
source?
If so, I urge Hans Hagen to change this and let texexec and friends
write into tmp directories or in the users current directory.
But I might be wrong and having something other amiss.

Hans van der Meer

@ 2008-03-25  0:29     ` Aditya Mahajan
From: Aditya Mahajan @ 2008-03-25  0:29 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Mon, 24 Mar 2008, Hans van der Meer wrote:

> I looked up what Aditya said can be found in the wiki and did:
>
> 	texmfstart texexec --module kpse:mult-ini.tex
>
> I get the following output on my console:
> 108 ~/Temp/tex: texmfstart texexec --module kpse:mult-ini.tex
> /usr/local/texlive/texmf-context/scripts/context/ruby/ctxtools.rb:641:in
> `initialize': Permission denied -
> /usr/local/texlive/texmf-context/tex/context/base/mult-ini.ted
> (Errno::EACCES)
> 	from
> /usr/local/texlive/texmf-context/scripts/context/ruby/ctxtools.rb:641:in
> `open'
> 	from
> /usr/local/texlive/texmf-context/scripts/context/ruby/ctxtools.rb:641:in
> `documentation'
> 	from
> /usr/local/texlive/texmf-context/scripts/context/ruby/ctxtools.rb:629:in
> `each'
> 	from
> /usr/local/texlive/texmf-context/scripts/context/ruby/ctxtools.rb:629:in
> `documentation'
> 	from
> /usr/local/texlive/texmf-context/scripts/context/ruby/ctxtools.rb:2778:in
> `send'
> 	from
> /usr/local/texlive/texmf-context/scripts/context/ruby/ctxtools.rb:2778
>
> The permissions of the directory involved can be seen from:
> 	ls -l /usr/local/texlive/texmf-context/tex/context
> ==>
> 	drwxr-xr-x 767 sysop staff 26078 11 mrt 18:31 base
>
> That is, texexec tries to write into a directory for which has no write
> access. I operate normally as myself and only for the installation of
> software assume the role of system operator (to hinder rogue programs and
> protect myself from stupid deletes, for example).
>
> Do I understand correctly from this, that unless one has write access to the
> tex installation directories one cannot typeset the module source?
> If so, I urge Hans Hagen to change this and let texexec and friends write
> into tmp directories or in the users current directory.

Sometimes I want to run texexec on a file in the different directory. In
that case, I find it useful that texexec is run on the directory in which
the file lies (otherwise things like \input and \component will not work
properly)

> But I might be wrong and having something other amiss.

You can just copy the file to a local directory and create the
documentation.

Aditya

* Re: Typesetting documentation
@ 1999-11-24  8:09 ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 1999-11-24  8:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ntg-context

At 05:34 PM 11/23/99 -0800, David Arnold wrote:

>s-pre-01.tex has a number of lines that start with %D. Now, I think there
>is a way of typesetting these files so that you can a nice document on how
>to use the file interlaced with the code of the module.
>
>How do I produce such a document?

First pick up the non documented (and therefore crap files) zipped into cont-doc.zip from our site or one of its mirrors. They will unzip in base.

Then you can say:

  texexec --modu  --pdf  s-pre-01

Hans

                                          Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE

* Typesetting documentation
@ 1999-11-24  1:34 David Arnold
From: David Arnold @ 1999-11-24  1:34 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hans et al,

s-pre-01.tex has a number of lines that start with %D. Now, I think there
is a way of typesetting these files so that you can a nice document on how
to use the file interlaced with the code of the module.

How do I produce such a document?

David Arnold
College of the Redwoods
Mathematics Department
7351 Tompkins Hill Road
Eureka, CA 95501
(707) 476-4222

My Home Page
http://online.redwoods.cc.ca.us/instruct/darnold/index.htm

Ordinary Differential Equations Using Matlab
http://www.prenhall.com/books/esm_0130113816.html