* frames and columns
@ 2008-05-19 17:37 Hans van der Meer
From: Hans van der Meer @ 2008-05-19 17:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: NTG ConTeXt

When I enclose columns in a frame then the columns are not formed. See
the minimal example:
\starttext
\startframedtext
\startcolumns[n=2]
COLUMN 1
\column
COLUMN 2
\stopcolumns
\stopframedtext
\stoptext

Commenting out the \startframedtext,\stopframedtext typesets two
columns; \startsimplecolumns shows the same ill behaviour.
ConTeXt  ver: 2008.05.13 14:42 MKII  fmt: 2008.5.19  int: english/
english

Is there a cure?

Hans van der Meer

* Re: frames and columns
@ 2008-05-20  6:16 ` Wolfgang Schuster
From: Wolfgang Schuster @ 2008-05-20  6:16 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Mon, May 19, 2008 at 7:37 PM, Hans van der Meer <hansm@science.uva.nl> wrote:
> When I enclose columns in a frame then the columns are not formed. See
> the minimal example:
> \starttext
> \startframedtext
> \startcolumns[n=2]
> COLUMN 1
> \column
> COLUMN 2
> \stopcolumns
> \stopframedtext
> \stoptext
>
> Commenting out the \startframedtext,\stopframedtext typesets two
> columns; \startsimplecolumns shows the same ill behaviour.
> ConTeXt  ver: 2008.05.13 14:42 MKII  fmt: 2008.5.19  int: english/
> english
>
> Is there a cure?

http://www.ntg.nl/pipermail/ntg-context/2007/025622.html

or

\starttextbackground/\stoptextbackground

> Hans van der Meer

Wolfgang

* Re: frames and columns
@ 2008-05-20 13:11   ` Hans van der Meer
From: Hans van der Meer @ 2008-05-20 13:11 UTC (permalink / raw)

Wolfgang,

Yes I can see others have found the same problem. But thanks anyway
for the link, because it prompted me to experiment with a box. At
least for \startsimplecolumns .. \stopsimplecolumns there seems to be
hope. See the example below, the last framedtext has two columns
inside. For \startcolumns .. \stopcolumns this is not a solution: an
error message about \prevdepth appears.

\starttext

% bare columns
\leftaligned{\em simplecolumns:}\blank
\startsimplecolumns[n=2]
COLUMN 1\crlf
COLUMN 1.1\crlf
\column
COLUMN 2\crlf
\stopsimplecolumns
\blank

% this does not work
\leftaligned{\em simplecolumns in framedtext:}\blank
\startframedtext
\startcolumns[n=2]
COLUMN 1\crlf
COLUMN 1.1\crlf
\column
COLUMN 2\crlf
\stopcolumns
\stopframedtext
\blank

% this works more or less
\leftaligned{\em simplecolumns boxed in framedtext:}\blank
\startframedtext
\hbox\bgroup
\startsimplecolumns[n=2]
COLUMN 1\crlf
COLUMN 1.1\crlf
\column
COLUMN 2\crlf
\stopsimplecolumns
\egroup
\stopframedtext
\blank
\stoptext

Hans van der Meer

On 20 mei 2008, at 08:16, Wolfgang Schuster wrote:

> On Mon, May 19, 2008 at 7:37 PM, Hans van der Meer <hansm@science.uva.nl
> > wrote:
>> When I enclose columns in a frame then the columns are not formed.
>> See
>> the minimal example:
>> \starttext
>> \startframedtext
>> \startcolumns[n=2]
>> COLUMN 1
>> \column
>> COLUMN 2
>> \stopcolumns
>> \stopframedtext
>> \stoptext
>>
>> Commenting out the \startframedtext,\stopframedtext typesets two
>> columns; \startsimplecolumns shows the same ill behaviour.
>> ConTeXt  ver: 2008.05.13 14:42 MKII  fmt: 2008.5.19  int: english/
>> english
>>
>> Is there a cure?
>
> http://www.ntg.nl/pipermail/ntg-context/2007/025622.html
>
> or
>
> \starttextbackground/\stoptextbackground
>
>> Hans van der Meer
>
> Wolfgang

* Re: frames and columns
@ 2008-05-20 13:28     ` Wolfgang Schuster
From: Wolfgang Schuster @ 2008-05-20 13:28 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi Hans,

> Yes I can see others have found the same problem. But thanks anyway
> for the link, because it prompted me to experiment with a box. At
> least for \startsimplecolumns .. \stopsimplecolumns there seems to be
> hope. See the example below, the last framedtext has two columns
> inside. For \startcolumns .. \stopcolumns this is not a solution: an
> error message about \prevdepth appears.

Normal columns need the output routine and won't work inside of a box,
streams are a way to invoke the output routine.

Simplecolumns are simpler and don't need the output routine, it's just
a simple vsplit and work in a few cases but is more limited, this is why
it did work, the internal function is like this.

\starttext
\setbox0=\vbox{\hsize.45\hsize\input knuth\par}
\setbox1=\vsplit0 to .5\ht0
\hbox to\hsize{\box1\hfill\box0}
\stoptext

Wolfgang

* Re: frames and columns
@ 2008-05-20 14:01       ` Aditya Mahajan
From: Aditya Mahajan @ 2008-05-20 14:01 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Tue, 20 May 2008, Wolfgang Schuster wrote:

> Hi Hans,
>
>> Yes I can see others have found the same problem. But thanks anyway
>> for the link, because it prompted me to experiment with a box. At
>> least for \startsimplecolumns .. \stopsimplecolumns there seems to be
>> hope. See the example below, the last framedtext has two columns
>> inside. For \startcolumns .. \stopcolumns this is not a solution: an
>> error message about \prevdepth appears.
>
> Normal columns need the output routine and won't work inside of a box,
> streams are a way to invoke the output routine.
>
> Simplecolumns are simpler and don't need the output routine, it's just
> a simple vsplit and work in a few cases but is more limited, this is why
> it did work, the internal function is like this.
>
> \starttext
> \setbox0=\vbox{\hsize.45\hsize\input knuth\par}
> \setbox1=\vsplit0 to .5\ht0
> \hbox to\hsize{\box1\hfill\box0}
> \stoptext

Thanks for this explanation. This makes it much easier to understand when
to use columns and when to use simplecolumns.

Aditya