* "Float within a frame" challenge
@ 2008-09-01 20:18 B. Tommy Jensen
From: B. Tommy Jensen @ 2008-09-01 20:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

Hi,
I am trying to accomplish the following layout with ConTeXt:

  - An icon and a descriptive text should be contained together in a
separate frame
  - The frame should be centered and have a special background color
  - Within the frame, the icon should be placed to the upper left.
  - A descriptive text should "flow" around the icon within the frame,
    first part to the right and then below the icon.

I have tried the following construct:

%----------------------

\startframedtext
\placefigure[left]{none}{\externalfigure[danger]}

The textual description of the icon comes here. It should ideally flow to
the right of
the figure within the frame, but the figure actually becomes behind the
text.
\stopframedtext

%----------------------

The problem here is that the icon and text is placed on top of each other.

When removing the frame (\startframedtext command), the placement of the
figure and the text works OK, but I don't get a frame then of course.

I have studied the "It's in the details" document which explains a great
deal about float's, but I haven't found anything covering the frame issue.

Is the "startframedtext" the wrong command to use? All hints or suggestions
(like references to other tutorials) are very welcome.

Best regards,
Tommy Jensen

* Re: "Float within a frame" challenge
@ 2008-09-02  6:26 ` Wolfgang Schuster
From: Wolfgang Schuster @ 2008-09-02  6:26 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Mon, Sep 1, 2008 at 10:18 PM, B. Tommy Jensen <btoj@frisurf.no> wrote:
> Hi,
> I am trying to accomplish the following layout with ConTeXt:
>
>  - An icon and a descriptive text should be contained together in a
> separate frame
>  - The frame should be centered and have a special background color
>  - Within the frame, the icon should be placed to the upper left.
>  - A descriptive text should "flow" around the icon within the frame,
>    first part to the right and then below the icon.
>
> I have tried the following construct:
>
> %----------------------
>
> \startframedtext
> \placefigure[left]{none}{\externalfigure[danger]}
>
> The textual description of the icon comes here. It should ideally flow to
> the right of
> the figure within the frame, but the figure actually becomes behind the
> text.
> \stopframedtext
>
> %----------------------
>
> The problem here is that the icon and text is placed on top of each other.
>
> When removing the frame (\startframedtext command), the placement of the
> figure and the text works OK, but I don't get a frame then of course.
>
> I have studied the "It's in the details" document which explains a great
> deal about float's, but I haven't found anything covering the frame issue.
>
> Is the "startframedtext" the wrong command to use? All hints or suggestions
> (like references to other tutorials) are very welcome.

http://archive.contextgarden.net/message/20080624.074046.56e76622.en.html

Wolfgang

* Re: "Float within a frame" challenge
@ 2008-09-02 18:46   ` Henning Hraban Ramm
From: Henning Hraban Ramm @ 2008-09-02 18:46 UTC (permalink / raw)

Am 2008-09-02 um 08:26 schrieb Wolfgang Schuster:
> http://archive.contextgarden.net/message/20080624.074046.56e76622.en.html

Never knew that myself.
Wikified it:
http://wiki.contextgarden.net/Using_Graphics#Flow_text_around_a_picture

Greetlings from Lake Constance!
Hraban
---
http://www.fiee.net/texnique/
http://wiki.contextgarden.net
https://www.cacert.org (I'm an assurer)

* Re: "Float within a frame" challenge
@ 2008-09-02 18:53     ` Aditya Mahajan
From: Aditya Mahajan @ 2008-09-02 18:53 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Tue, 2 Sep 2008, Henning Hraban Ramm wrote:

> Am 2008-09-02 um 08:26 schrieb Wolfgang Schuster:
>> http://archive.contextgarden.net/message/20080624.074046.56e76622.en.html
>
> Never knew that myself.
> Wikified it:
> http://wiki.contextgarden.net/Using_Graphics#Flow_text_around_a_picture

I tried to add the typeset example on the wiki, but the figure cow is
missing. There are a few examples on the wiki that use cow.pdf put we
have a missing figure in the output.

http://wiki.contextgarden.net/Dotted_number_in_caption
http://wiki.contextgarden.net/Figures_in_Headings

Is there an easy way to include cow.pdf in the search path in the wiki?

Aditya

* Re: "Float within a frame" challenge
@ 2008-09-02 19:10     ` B. Tommy Jensen
From: B. Tommy Jensen @ 2008-09-02 19:10 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Tue, 02 Sep 2008 20:46:28 +0200, Henning Hraban Ramm <hraban@fiee.net>
wrote:

> Am 2008-09-02 um 08:26 schrieb Wolfgang Schuster:
>> http://archive.contextgarden.net/message/20080624.074046.56e76622.en.html
>
> Never knew that myself.
> Wikified it:
> http://wiki.contextgarden.net/Using_Graphics#Flow_text_around_a_picture

Thanks for the updated documentation.

Another tricky question with \starthangaround: If the text
following the picture is very short, e.g. the text height
is much less than the picture height, the next paragraph
is placed below the picture, e.g. the "hanging" paragraph
does not get its correct height.

It seems that the height is calculated based on the text
height only, not the picture.

Is there a clever commmand/option that can compensate for this?

Best regards,
Tommy Jensen