* [OT] Edit PDF manually
@ 2009-09-07 15:47 Oliver Buerschaper
From: Oliver Buerschaper @ 2009-09-07 15:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: mailing ConTeXt users list for

Dear list,

I'd like to perform some basic PDF editing by hand ... can someone
point me to a good source of introductory material to get me started?

For example, I'd like to remove a text stamp from a given file but
also learn something about PDF itself along the way ... if there's
some open source editing tool that might help me understand bits and
pieces of PDF I wouldn't mind either :-)

Best wishes,
Oliver

* Re: [OT] Edit PDF manually
@ 2009-09-07 15:53 ` luigi scarso
From: luigi scarso @ 2009-09-07 15:53 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Mon, Sep 7, 2009 at 5:47 PM, Oliver
Buerschaper<oliver.buerschaper@mpq.mpg.de> wrote:
> Dear list,
>
> I'd like to perform some basic PDF editing by hand ... can someone point me
> to a good source of introductory material to get me started?
pdf spec.
www.adobe.com/devnet/acrobat/pdfs/PDF32000_2008.pdf
xpdf sources

> For example, I'd like to remove a text stamp from a given file but also
> learn something about PDF itself along the way ... if there's some open
> source editing tool that might help me understand bits and pieces of PDF I
> wouldn't mind either :-)
Under linux pdfedit is experimental
http://pdfedit.petricek.net/en/index.html

pypdf is a python module at lowlevel.
http://pybrary.net/pyPdf/
As exercise, you can try to minimic pdffonts in python with pypdf
(pdfs with ttf,otf,type1 etc )
--
luigi

* Re: [OT] Edit PDF manually
@ 2009-09-07 16:34   ` Oliver Buerschaper
From: Oliver Buerschaper @ 2009-09-07 16:34 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi Luigi,

> pdf spec.
> www.adobe.com/devnet/acrobat/pdfs/PDF32000_2008.pdf
> xpdf sources

That sounds like a definite reference ... probably more than I can
digest for a start :-(

Perhaps there's a simple, example-driven guide for dummies somewhere?
Like writing a simple PDF document with more than one page, non-
contiguous text blocks and perhaps a hyperlink by hand ...

> Under linux pdfedit is experimental
> http://pdfedit.petricek.net/en/index.html

Installed :-) OK, I've just managed to remove a page from a given PDF
file. Beyond that one will probably have to know more about PDF ...
for example, do you know how pdfedit can help me identify which object
in the raw PDF corresponds to a given blob of text on the page? After
selecting the blob I get some info on my selection that eludes me :-(

> pypdf is a python module at lowlevel.
> http://pybrary.net/pyPdf/

This looks very interesting!

> As exercise, you can try to minimic pdffonts in python with pypdf
> (pdfs with ttf,otf,type1 etc )

I'm afraid, I don't understand :-(

Best,
Oliver

* Re: [OT] Edit PDF manually
@ 2009-09-07 17:17     ` luigi scarso
From: luigi scarso @ 2009-09-07 17:17 UTC (permalink / raw)

I'm sure that hartmut has done a presentation sometimes ago f, could be
http://www.matexhu.org/eurotex2006/lectures/pdftex/hartmut-talk.pdf

>  pypdf is a python module at lowlevel.
>> http://pybrary.net/pyPdf/
>>

> This looks very interesting!
>

>  As exercise, you can try to minimic pdffonts in python with pypdf
>> (pdfs with ttf,otf,type1 etc )
>>

> I'm afraid, I don't understand :-(
>
> Under linux, xpdf comes with pdffonts, a cmd line tools that extracts fonts
information from a pdf.
You can try to mimic it with pyPdf, so your knowledge  can augment .

--
luigi

* Re: [OT] Edit PDF manually
@ 2009-09-07 21:08       ` Piotr Kopszak
From: Piotr Kopszak @ 2009-09-07 21:08 UTC (permalink / raw)

Don't forget about pdftk vim plugin, otherwise you'll have to count
byte offsets on your fingers, or even better use qdf form with qpdf.
Maybe I'll publish a short tutorial on writing pdf by hand that I
started to write couple of months ago. AFAIK there isn't any (Please,
tell me I'm wrong).

Piotr

2009/9/7 luigi scarso <luigi.scarso@gmail.com>:
> I'm sure that hartmut has done a presentation sometimes ago f, could be
> http://www.matexhu.org/eurotex2006/lectures/pdftex/hartmut-talk.pdf
>

>>> pypdf is a python module at lowlevel.
>>> http://pybrary.net/pyPdf/
>>
>> This looks very interesting!
>>

>>> As exercise, you can try to minimic pdffonts in python with pypdf
>>> (pdfs with ttf,otf,type1 etc )
>>
>> I'm afraid, I don't understand :-(
>>
> Under linux, xpdf comes with pdffonts, a cmd line tools that extracts fonts
> information from a pdf.
> You can try to mimic it with pyPdf, so your knowledge  can augment .
>

> --
> luigi

http://okle.pl

* Re: [OT] Edit PDF manually
@ 2009-09-07 21:11         ` luigi scarso
From: luigi scarso @ 2009-09-07 21:11 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Mon, Sep 7, 2009 at 11:08 PM, Piotr Kopszak<kopszak@gmail.com> wrote:
> Don't forget about pdftk vim plugin, otherwise you'll have to count
> byte offsets on your fingers, or even better use qdf form with qpdf.
> Maybe I'll publish a short tutorial on writing pdf by hand that I
> started to write couple of months ago. AFAIK there isn't any (Please,
> tell me I'm wrong).
If even, another is not bad at all.
--
luigi

* Re: [OT] Edit PDF manually
@ 2009-09-07 22:47     ` luigi scarso
From: luigi scarso @ 2009-09-07 22:47 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Mon, Sep 7, 2009 at 6:34 PM, Oliver

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PDF

--
luigi

* Re: [OT] Edit PDF manually
@ 2009-09-08  7:11       ` Oliver Buerschaper
From: Oliver Buerschaper @ 2009-09-08  7:11 UTC (permalink / raw)

> I'm sure that hartmut has done a presentation sometimes ago f, could
> be
> http://www.matexhu.org/eurotex2006/lectures/pdftex/hartmut-talk.pdf

Wonderful! This is exactly the sort of thing I was looking for ... is
there more material similar in spirit? Hartmut? ;-)

Oliver

* Re: [OT] Edit PDF manually
@ 2009-09-08  7:14         ` Taco Hoekwater
From: Taco Hoekwater @ 2009-09-08  7:14 UTC (permalink / raw)

Oliver Buerschaper wrote:
>> I'm sure that hartmut has done a presentation sometimes ago f, could be
>> http://www.matexhu.org/eurotex2006/lectures/pdftex/hartmut-talk.pdf
>
> Wonderful! This is exactly the sort of thing I was looking for ... is
> there more material similar in spirit? Hartmut? ;-)

'How does pdf really work' would make a nice Maps article as well (hint
hint).

Best wishes,
Taco

* Re: [OT] Edit PDF manually
@ 2009-09-08  7:20         ` Martin Schröder
From: Martin Schröder @ 2009-09-08  7:20 UTC (permalink / raw)

2009/9/8 Oliver Buerschaper <oliver.buerschaper@mpq.mpg.de>:
>> I'm sure that hartmut has done a presentation sometimes ago f, could be
>> http://www.matexhu.org/eurotex2006/lectures/pdftex/hartmut-talk.pdf
>
> Wonderful! This is exactly the sort of thing I was looking for ... is there
> more material similar in spirit? Hartmut? ;-)

Speaking about tools: Acrobat Pro (and some plugins to it) can do a
lot. With podofobrowser those in the know can do a lot. And I'm
shamelessly plugging my talk at EuroTeX 2009:
http://www.oneiros.de/tex/papers/eurotex2009-pdflibs.pdf

Did someone already mention that PDFs are not meant to be editable?
Use the source, Oliver. :-)

Best
   Martin

* Re: [OT] Edit PDF manually
@ 2009-09-08  8:18         ` Oliver Buerschaper
From: Oliver Buerschaper @ 2009-09-08  8:18 UTC (permalink / raw)

> Don't forget about pdftk vim plugin, otherwise you'll have to count
> byte offsets on your fingers, or even better use qdf form with qpdf.

I've just had a brief look at qpdf and this seems incredible! This
might just be the tool I had in mind ... now I'll have to check out
what qdf can do for me ...

> Maybe I'll publish a short tutorial on writing pdf by hand that I
> started to write couple of months ago.

Please do!

Oliver

* Re: [OT] Edit PDF manually
@ 2009-09-08  8:20           ` luigi scarso
From: luigi scarso @ 2009-09-08  8:20 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Tue, Sep 8, 2009 at 10:18 AM, Oliver
Buerschaper<oliver.buerschaper@mpq.mpg.de> wrote:
>> Don't forget about pdftk vim plugin, otherwise you'll have to count
>> byte offsets on your fingers, or even better use qdf form with qpdf.
>
> I've just had a brief look at qpdf and this seems incredible! This might
> just be the tool I had in mind ... now I'll have to check out what qdf can
> do for me ...
warning: uncompress pdf can frozen your console and burn you CPU......

--
luigi

* Re: [OT] Edit PDF manually
@ 2009-09-08  8:23           ` Oliver Buerschaper
From: Oliver Buerschaper @ 2009-09-08  8:23 UTC (permalink / raw)

> Speaking about tools: Acrobat Pro (and some plugins to it) can do a
> lot.

But all commercial, aren't they?

> With podofobrowser those in the know can do a lot.

Will install ;-)

> And I'm
> shamelessly plugging my talk at EuroTeX 2009:
> http://www.oneiros.de/tex/papers/eurotex2009-pdflibs.pdf

No worries, it's most welcome to me!

> Did someone already mention that PDFs are not meant to be editable?
> Use the source, Oliver. :-)

Will do whenever I can ;-)

Oliver

* Re: [OT] Edit PDF manually
@ 2009-09-08  8:26             ` Oliver Buerschaper
From: Oliver Buerschaper @ 2009-09-08  8:26 UTC (permalink / raw)

>> I've just had a brief look at qpdf and this seems incredible! This
>> might
>> just be the tool I had in mind ... now I'll have to check out what
>> qdf can
>> do for me ...
> warning: uncompress pdf can frozen your console and burn you CPU......

Good to know ... actually I wanted to peak into a FlateDecode
compressed object as my next step. Well, at least I'll know where the
smoke might be coming from then :-P

Oliver

* Re: [OT] Edit PDF manually
@ 2009-09-08  8:28             ` Martin Schröder
From: Martin Schröder @ 2009-09-08  8:28 UTC (permalink / raw)

2009/9/8 Oliver Buerschaper <oliver.buerschaper@mpq.mpg.de>:
>> Speaking about tools: Acrobat Pro (and some plugins to it) can do a
>> lot.
>
> But all commercial, aren't they?

Yes.

Best
   Martin

* Re: [OT] Edit PDF manually
@ 2009-09-08  8:34               ` luigi scarso
From: luigi scarso @ 2009-09-08  8:34 UTC (permalink / raw)

Oliver, at the end (ASAP) you *must* wikify all these stuffs.

you can also see my old and unmaintened page
http://wiki.contextgarden.net/User:Luigi.scarso#Cool_links

--
luigi

* Re: [OT] Edit PDF manually
@ 2009-09-08  9:39           ` Piotr Kopszak
From: Piotr Kopszak @ 2009-09-08  9:39 UTC (permalink / raw)

OK, here it is. But no guarantees it makes much sense.

http://okle.pl/blogs/show_post/23

2009/9/8 Oliver Buerschaper <oliver.buerschaper@mpq.mpg.de>:
>> Don't forget about pdftk vim plugin, otherwise you'll have to count
>> byte offsets on your fingers, or even better use qdf form with qpdf.
>
> I've just had a brief look at qpdf and this seems incredible! This might
> just be the tool I had in mind ... now I'll have to check out what qdf can
> do for me ...
>

>> Maybe I'll publish a short tutorial on writing pdf by hand that I
>> started to write couple of months ago.
>
> Please do!
>
> Oliver

http://okle.pl

* Re: [OT] Edit PDF manually
@ 2009-09-08  9:56             ` luigi scarso
From: luigi scarso @ 2009-09-08  9:56 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Tue, Sep 8, 2009 at 11:39 AM, Piotr Kopszak<kopszak@gmail.com> wrote:
> OK, here it is. But no guarantees it makes much sense.
>
> http://okle.pl/blogs/show_post/23

fix-qdf file-before-fixing.pdf  file-after-fixing.pdf

doesn't work for me
--
luigi

* Re: [OT] Edit PDF manually
@ 2009-09-08 10:21               ` Piotr Kopszak
From: Piotr Kopszak @ 2009-09-08 10:21 UTC (permalink / raw)

But you haven't used that on the example file? It's not qdf compliant.

P.

2009/9/8 luigi scarso <luigi.scarso@gmail.com>:
> On Tue, Sep 8, 2009 at 11:39 AM, Piotr Kopszak<kopszak@gmail.com> wrote:
>> OK, here it is. But no guarantees it makes much sense.
>>
>> http://okle.pl/blogs/show_post/23
>
> fix-qdf file-before-fixing.pdf  file-after-fixing.pdf
>
> doesn't work for me
> --
> luigi

http://okle.pl

* Re: [OT] Edit PDF manually
@ 2009-09-08 10:27                 ` luigi scarso
From: luigi scarso @ 2009-09-08 10:27 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Tue, Sep 8, 2009 at 12:21 PM, Piotr Kopszak<kopszak@gmail.com> wrote:
> But you haven't used that on the example file? It's not qdf compliant.
>
> P.
ah ok.

--
luigi

* Re: [OT] Edit PDF manually
@ 2009-09-08 20:04           ` Hartmut Henkel
From: Hartmut Henkel @ 2009-09-08 20:04 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Tue, 8 Sep 2009, Taco Hoekwater wrote:
> Oliver Buerschaper wrote:
> > > I'm sure that hartmut has done a presentation sometimes ago f,
> > > could be
> > > http://www.matexhu.org/eurotex2006/lectures/pdftex/hartmut-talk.pdf
> >
> > Wonderful! This is exactly the sort of thing I was looking for ...
> > is there more material similar in spirit? Hartmut? ;-)
>
> 'How does pdf really work' would make a nice Maps article as well
> (hint hint).

some hint? :-) such things need a quiet week, instead there are reviews
over reviews...

Regards, Hartmut