* lines tightly fitting together
@ 2011-03-01 18:58 Hans van der Meer
From: Hans van der Meer @ 2011-03-01 18:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: NTG ConTeXt

Silly perhaps, but I am stuck with something that shouldn't be difficult to solve.
I want to fill lines with small blocks (\vrule's just 0.2 mm high) and then fit the indivdual lines as tight together as is possible. Trying \setupinterlinespace[height=0.2,depth=0] did not help and the kludge \switchtobodyfont[0.1pt] does has the spirit of ConTeXt ;-)
Anybody out there knowing how to do it?

Hans van der Meer

* Re: lines tightly fitting together
@ 2011-03-01 19:21 ` Wolfgang Schuster
From: Wolfgang Schuster @ 2011-03-01 19:21 UTC (permalink / raw)

Am 01.03.2011 um 19:58 schrieb Hans van der Meer:

> Silly perhaps, but I am stuck with something that shouldn't be difficult to solve.
> I want to fill lines with small blocks (\vrule's just 0.2 mm high) and then fit the indivdual lines as tight together as is possible. Trying \setupinterlinespace[height=0.2,depth=0] did not help and the kludge \switchtobodyfont[0.1pt] does has the spirit of ConTeXt ;-)
> Anybody out there knowing how to do it?

\setupinterlinespace[line=0.5mm] or use MetaPost (not sure what do you want).

Wolfgang

* Re: lines tightly fitting together
@ 2011-03-01 20:06   ` Hans van der Meer
From: Hans van der Meer @ 2011-03-01 20:06 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 1 mrt 2011, at 20:21, Wolfgang Schuster wrote:

> \setupinterlinespace[line=0.5mm] or use MetaPost (not sure what do you want).

This does work out as I want it. The aim is to place lines of smallblocks, taken from an input file
\startdvbscreen
  \startdvbline
	\blok{colorvalue} % FORGET COLOR FOR NOW
  \stopdvbline
\stopdvbscreen

\def\blokheight{0.15mm}\def\blokwidth{0.19mm}
\def\blok{\vrule width \blokwidth height \blokheight depth 0pt\ignorespaces}
\def\startdvbline{}
\def\stopdvbline{\crlf\vskip-0.3mm}
\def\startdvbscreen{SEE BELOW}
\def\stopdvbscreen{\crlf\vskip4mm\stop}

works with minimal fontsize, but the lines are not easily to get exactly tight in vertical sense (kludge with vskip of -0.3mm).
thus works a bit:
\def\startdvbscreen{DVB-screen\crlf\start\setupinterlinespace[line=0.5mm]}
does not work:
\def\startdvbscreen{DVB-screen\crlf\start\switchtobodyfont[0.1pt]}

* Re: lines tightly fitting together
@ 2011-03-01 20:10     ` Hans van der Meer
From: Hans van der Meer @ 2011-03-01 20:10 UTC (permalink / raw)

Sorry, mixed up what works and what not:

On 1 mrt 2011, at 21:06, Hans van der Meer wrote:

> On 1 mrt 2011, at 20:21, Wolfgang Schuster wrote:
>
>> \setupinterlinespace[line=0.5mm] or use MetaPost (not sure what do you want).
>
> This does work out as I want it. The aim is to place lines of smallblocks, taken from an input file
> \startdvbscreen
>  \startdvbline
> 	\blok{colorvalue} % FORGET COLOR FOR NOW
>  \stopdvbline
> \stopdvbscreen
>
> \def\blokheight{0.15mm}\def\blokwidth{0.19mm}
> \def\blok{\vrule width \blokwidth height \blokheight depth 0pt\ignorespaces}
> \def\startdvbline{}
> \def\stopdvbline{\crlf\vskip-0.3mm}
> \def\startdvbscreen{SEE BELOW}
> \def\stopdvbscreen{\crlf\vskip4mm\stop}
>
> works with minimal fontsize, but the lines are not easily to get exactly tight in vertical sense (kludge with vskip of -0.3mm).

DOES NOT WORK

> \def\startdvbscreen{DVB-screen\crlf\start\setupinterlinespace[line=0.5mm]}
> does not work:

DOES WORK A BIT

@ 2011-03-01 20:25       ` Wolfgang Schuster
       [not found]         ` <D7954E07-DF49-4603-87C5-FA9A61F42BF0@uva.nl>
From: Wolfgang Schuster @ 2011-03-01 20:25 UTC (permalink / raw)

Am 01.03.2011 um 21:10 schrieb Hans van der Meer:

> Sorry, mixed up what works and what not:

Can you show a pdf with the result?

Wolfgang

* Re: lines tightly fitting together
@ 2011-03-01 23:06 ` Hartmut Henkel
From: Hartmut Henkel @ 2011-03-01 23:06 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Tue, 1 Mar 2011, Hans van der Meer wrote:

> Silly perhaps, but I am stuck with something that shouldn't be
> difficult to solve. I want to fill lines with small blocks (\vrule's
> just 0.2 mm high) and then fit the indivdual lines as tight together
> as is possible. Trying \setupinterlinespace[height=0.2,depth=0] did
> not help and the kludge \switchtobodyfont[0.1pt] does has the spirit
> of ConTeXt ;-) Anybody out there knowing how to do it?

maybe \lineskip=0pt helps?

Regards, Hartmut

* Re: lines tightly fitting together
       [not found]           ` <CCE9257C-A22E-4DD3-9B14-4E4426212BEF@gmail.com>
@ 2011-03-02  8:22             ` Hans van der Meer
From: Hans van der Meer @ 2011-03-02  8:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: NTG ConTeXt

On 2 mrt 2011, at 07:05, Wolfgang Schuster wrote:

> Am 01.03.2011 um 21:59 schrieb Hans van der Meer:
>
>> Wolfgang,
>>
>> Replying directly to your address because the message body is too large.
>> Pictures are pixel images of DVB subtitles from telvision broadcast, in case youre wondering.
>
> Why don’t you create a real font for this, this will create smaller files and you can use it with other programs.

That is beside the point. The problem is not the drawing of letters, but the extraction of pixel data from a Transport Stream packets. The specification of the DVB-subtitles mentions two variants: (1) string of characters, (2) pixel colorvalues to be looked up in a 16-value CLUT. The stream I have at hand consists of pixel data in a 720x36 rectangle. Furthermore different broadcast stations use different lettertypes. Of course it would be nice if I could simply extract the letters, but for the moment this surpasses my abilities.

Hans van der Meer

@ 2011-03-02  8:33               ` luigi scarso
From: luigi scarso @ 2011-03-02  8:33 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Wed, Mar 2, 2011 at 9:22 AM, Hans van der Meer <H.vanderMeer@uva.nl> wrote:

> On 2 mrt 2011, at 07:05, Wolfgang Schuster wrote:
>
> Am 01.03.2011 um 21:59 schrieb Hans van der Meer:
>
> Wolfgang,
>
> Replying directly to your address because the message body is too large.
> Pictures are pixel images of DVB subtitles from telvision broadcast, in case
> youre wondering.
>
> Why don’t you create a real font for this, this will create smaller files
> and you can use it with other programs.
>
> That is beside the point. The problem is not the drawing of letters, but the
> extraction of pixel data from a Transport Stream packets. The specification
> of the DVB-subtitles mentions two variants: (1) string of characters, (2)
> pixel colorvalues to be looked up in a 16-value CLUT. The stream I have at
> hand consists of pixel data in a 720x36 rectangle. Furthermore different
> broadcast stations use different lettertypes. Of course it would be nice if
> I could simply extract the letters, but for the moment this surpasses my
> abilities.
perhaps leptonica can help here .

--
luigi

* Re: lines tightly fitting together
@ 2011-03-02 10:02                 ` Hans van der Meer
From: Hans van der Meer @ 2011-03-02 10:02 UTC (permalink / raw)

Finally turned to Metapost. Placing things at exactly the right point is much easier there. However, my Metapost has become somewhat rusty. Took me most of the morning to fresh things up a bit and produce something not looking too bad.

Hans van der Meer.