* Change the font to Charter
@ 2009-01-10  3:59 Curious
From: Curious @ 2009-01-10  3:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

Hello All,

I have been using Latex for sometime and am thinking of switching to Context for
at least some types of documents and hence have been trying it out. I love the
charter font and tried to use the following commands to use the Charter font

\definetypeface [charter] [rm] [serif] [charter] [default] [encoding=ec]
\switchtotypeface [charter] [12pt,rm]

However, when I compile the file with texexec I get the following warning:

pdfTeX warning: pdftex (file ec-bitstrea-charter.map): cannot open font map file

Can someone please help me fix this problem? I get the charter font output,
however, the results are different from what I get with Latex. The letters seem
more spread out and there seems to be more spacing between the words in the
Context output. Could this be because of the above warning?

* Re: Change the font to Charter
@ 2009-01-10  9:09 ` Mojca Miklavec
From: Mojca Miklavec @ 2009-01-10  9:09 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hello "Curious",

> I have been using Latex for sometime and am thinking of switching to Context for
> at least some types of documents and hence have been trying it out. I love the
> charter font and tried to use the following commands to use the Charter font
>
> \definetypeface [charter] [rm] [serif] [charter] [default] [encoding=ec]
> \switchtotypeface [charter] [12pt,rm]
>
> However, when I compile the file with texexec I get the following warning:
>
> pdfTeX warning: pdftex (file ec-bitstrea-charter.map): cannot open font map file
>
> Can someone please help me fix this problem? I get the charter font output,
> however, the results are different from what I get with Latex. The letters seem
> more spread out and there seems to be more spacing between the words in the
> Context output. Could this be because of the above warning?

You are right that some things need to be fixed in ConTeXt - if
nothing else, the map file could be removed from type-one and
type.map. (Do not bother if you don't understand what I have written -
it's targeted to ConTeXt gurus. Any opinions?)

The file is missing, but all the needed definitions are inside
ec-base.map (I guess, I don't find ec-bitstrea-charter.map anywhere in
order to compare):

bchb8t  CharterBT-Bold           <ec.enc <bchb8a.pfb
bchbi8t CharterBT-BoldItalic     <ec.enc <bchbi8a.pfb
bchr8t  CharterBT-Roman          <ec.enc <bchr8a.pfb
bchri8t CharterBT-Italic         <ec.enc <bchri8a.pfb

bchbo8t CharterBT-Bold           ".167 SlantFont" <ec.enc <bchb8a.pfb
bchro8t CharterBT-Roman          ".167 SlantFont" <ec.enc <bchr8a.pfb

There are these files present on TeX Live (they are not in minimals):

/usr/local/texlive/2008/texmf-dist/fonts/tfm/bitstrea/charter/bchr8t.tfm
/usr/local/texlive/2008/texmf-dist/fonts/vf/bitstrea/charter/bchr8t.vf

But when I compare to LaTeX with the following code
    \usepackage[T1]{fontenc}
    \usepackage[charter]{mathdesign}
it uses other font metric files:
    /usr/local/texlive/2008/texmf-dist/tex/latex/mathdesign/mdbch/t1mdbch.fd
\DeclareFontShape{T1}{mdbch}{m}{n}{
   <->s * [0.96]  mdbchr8t
}{}
    /usr/local/texlive/2008/texmf-dist/fonts/tfm/mathdesign/mdbch/mdbchr8t.tfm

I suspect that one might need to fix or improve typescripts. Do you
have some visual examples to show the differences? It would be
interesting to compare the differences between bchr8t and mdbchr8t and
change typescripts if needed.

Moreover, math support would have to be added to typescripts - it
could be based on mathdesign.

Mojca

* Re: Change the font to Charter
@ 2009-01-10 12:33   ` Curious
From: Curious @ 2009-01-10 12:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

> You are right that some things need to be fixed in ConTeXt - if
> nothing else, the map file could be removed from type-one and
> type.map. (Do not bother if you don't understand what I have written -
> it's targeted to ConTeXt gurus. Any opinions?)
>
> The file is missing, but all the needed definitions are inside
> ec-base.map (I guess, I don't find ec-bitstrea-charter.map anywhere in
> order to compare):
>
> bchb8t  CharterBT-Bold           <ec.enc <bchb8a.pfb
> bchbi8t CharterBT-BoldItalic     <ec.enc <bchbi8a.pfb
> bchr8t  CharterBT-Roman          <ec.enc <bchr8a.pfb
> bchri8t CharterBT-Italic         <ec.enc <bchri8a.pfb
>
> bchbo8t CharterBT-Bold           ".167 SlantFont" <ec.enc <bchb8a.pfb
> bchro8t CharterBT-Roman          ".167 SlantFont" <ec.enc <bchr8a.pfb
>
> There are these files present on TeX Live (they are not in minimals):
>
> /usr/local/texlive/2008/texmf-dist/fonts/tfm/bitstrea/charter/bchr8t.tfm
> /usr/local/texlive/2008/texmf-dist/fonts/vf/bitstrea/charter/bchr8t.vf
>
> But when I compare to LaTeX with the following code
>     \usepackage[T1]{fontenc}
>     \usepackage[charter]{mathdesign}
> it uses other font metric files:
>     /usr/local/texlive/2008/texmf-dist/tex/latex/mathdesign/mdbch/t1mdbch.fd
> \DeclareFontShape{T1}{mdbch}{m}{n}{
>    <->s * [0.96]  mdbchr8t
> }{}
>     /usr/local/texlive/2008/texmf-dist/fonts/tfm/mathdesign/mdbch/mdbchr8t.tfm
>
> I suspect that one might need to fix or improve typescripts. Do you
> have some visual examples to show the differences? It would be
> interesting to compare the differences between bchr8t and mdbchr8t and
> change typescripts if needed.
>
> Moreover, math support would have to be added to typescripts - it
> could be based on mathdesign.
>
> Mojca

Thanks Mojca. Appreciate your response, though as you said I do not really
understand what I have to do, or if I could do anything. But a few things,

(1) Regarding the visual examples, I could post the PDF file generated with
Latex and Context. Is there a way to do that on this list? I noticed another
difference, which is that the line spacing is slightly more in the Context
document (compared to that compiled with Latex). In latex I chose
\singlespacing. In Context, I did not change the default spacing. Is the default
spacing different than singlespacing?

(2) I was going to ask about the math support. You mentioned that it would have
to be added to the typescript. How difficult is that? Does anyone know the
commands that can be used for adding such support.

Thanks.

p.s. - BTW thanks very very much to the creators of Context for presenting us
with this wonderful tool. I hope I can use it more and more for my work to
create beautiful document.

* Re: Change the font to Charter
@ 2009-01-10 13:52     ` Wolfgang Schuster
From: Wolfgang Schuster @ 2009-01-10 13:52 UTC (permalink / raw)

Am 10.01.2009 um 13:33 schrieb Curious:

>> I suspect that one might need to fix or improve typescripts. Do you
>> have some visual examples to show the differences? It would be
>> interesting to compare the differences between bchr8t and mdbchr8t
>> and
>> change typescripts if needed.
>>
>> Moreover, math support would have to be added to typescripts - it
>> could be based on mathdesign.
>>
>> Mojca
>
> Thanks Mojca. Appreciate your response, though as you said I do not
> really
> understand what I have to do, or if I could do anything. But a few
> things,
>
> (1) Regarding the visual examples, I could post the PDF file
> generated with
> Latex and Context. Is there a way to do that on this list? I noticed
> another
> difference, which is that the line spacing is slightly more in the
> Context
> document (compared to that compiled with Latex). In latex I chose
> \singlespacing. In Context, I did not change the default spacing. Is
> the default
> spacing different than singlespacing?

ConTeXt has just other linedistances than LaTeX, that's all.

You can switch to a smaller distance with \setupinterlinespace[small]
or with \setupinterlinespace[line=14pt] (fixed distance) or
\setupinterlinespace[line=2.4ex] (font dependend distance)

> (2) I was going to ask about the math support. You mentioned that it
> would have
> to be added to the typescript. How difficult is that? Does anyone
> know the
> commands that can be used for adding such support.

I have a basic typescript for charter because I needed it in a document.

\starttypescript [math] [charter] [name]
   \definefontsynonym [MathRoman]     [Charter-Math-Letters-Regular]
   \definefontsynonym [MathItalic]    [Charter-Math-Letters-Italic]
   \definefontsynonym [MathSymbol]    [Charter-Math-Symbols-Regular]
   \definefontsynonym [MathExtension] [Charter-Math-Extension-Regular]
\stoptypescript

\starttypescript [math] [charter] [default]
   \definefontsynonym [Charter-Math-Letters-Regular]   [mdbchr7m]
   \definefontsynonym [Charter-Math-Letters-Italic]    [mdbchri7m]
   \definefontsynonym [Charter-Math-Symbols-Regular]   [mdbchr7y]
   \definefontsynonym [Charter-Math-Extension-Regular] [mdbchr7v]
   \loadmapfile[mdbch.map]
\stoptypescript

Wolfgang

* Re: Change the font to Charter
@ 2009-01-10 15:16       ` Curious
From: Curious @ 2009-01-10 15:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

Wolfgang Schuster <schuster.wolfgang <at> googlemail.com> writes:

> Am 10.01.2009 um 13:33 schrieb Curious:

> ConTeXt has just other linedistances than LaTeX, that's all.
>
> You can switch to a smaller distance with \setupinterlinespace[small]
> or with \setupinterlinespace[line=14pt] (fixed distance) or
> \setupinterlinespace[line=2.4ex] (font dependend distance)
>

> I have a basic typescript for charter because I needed it in a document.
>
> \starttypescript [math] [charter] [name]
>    \definefontsynonym [MathRoman]     [Charter-Math-Letters-Regular]
>    \definefontsynonym [MathItalic]    [Charter-Math-Letters-Italic]
>    \definefontsynonym [MathSymbol]    [Charter-Math-Symbols-Regular]
>    \definefontsynonym [MathExtension] [Charter-Math-Extension-Regular]
> \stoptypescript
>
> \starttypescript [math] [charter] [default]
>    \definefontsynonym [Charter-Math-Letters-Regular]   [mdbchr7m]
>    \definefontsynonym [Charter-Math-Letters-Italic]    [mdbchri7m]
>    \definefontsynonym [Charter-Math-Symbols-Regular]   [mdbchr7y]
>    \definefontsynonym [Charter-Math-Extension-Regular] [mdbchr7v]
>    \loadmapfile[mdbch.map]
> \stoptypescript
>
> Wolfgang

Thanks very much Wolfgang. I tried and it works for the most part in the simple
document that I have. The parantheses, however, are not typeset correctly. They
appear as horizontal arrows with only half a head, i.e., head only either above
or below (sorry do not know the name of this symbol but I have seen it before).

Regarding, the warning I mentioned earlier (pdfTeX warning: pdftex (file
ec-bitstrea-charter.map): cannot open font map file), is there a way to fix
that? Or, is there a need to fix that?

Thanks.

* Re: Change the font to Charter
@ 2009-01-10 15:42       ` Aditya Mahajan
From: Aditya Mahajan @ 2009-01-10 15:42 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Sat, 10 Jan 2009, Wolfgang Schuster wrote:

>> (2) I was going to ask about the math support. You mentioned that it would
>> have
>> to be added to the typescript. How difficult is that? Does anyone know the
>> commands that can be used for adding such support.
>
> I have a basic typescript for charter because I needed it in a document.
>
> \starttypescript [math] [charter] [name]
> \definefontsynonym [MathRoman]     [Charter-Math-Letters-Regular]
> \definefontsynonym [MathItalic]    [Charter-Math-Letters-Italic]
> \definefontsynonym [MathSymbol]    [Charter-Math-Symbols-Regular]
> \definefontsynonym [MathExtension] [Charter-Math-Extension-Regular]
> \stoptypescript
>
> \starttypescript [math] [charter] [default]
> \definefontsynonym [Charter-Math-Letters-Regular]   [mdbchr7m]
> \definefontsynonym [Charter-Math-Letters-Italic]    [mdbchri7m]
> \definefontsynonym [Charter-Math-Symbols-Regular]   [mdbchr7y]
> \definefontsynonym [Charter-Math-Extension-Regular] [mdbchr7v]
> \loadmapfile[mdbch.map]
> \stoptypescript

Bitstream charter does not contain math fonts. The math fonts are from
math-design
(http://tug.ctan.org/cgi-bin/ctanPackageInformation.py?id=mathdesign)

It would be useful to have a type-mathdesign file that provides
typescripts for mathdesign utopia, garamound and charter. We may also need
a math-md.tex since mathdesign provides a few extra symbols.

Aditya

* Re: Change the font to Charter
@ 2009-01-11 19:54   ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2009-01-11 19:54 UTC (permalink / raw)

Mojca Miklavec wrote:

> I suspect that one might need to fix or improve typescripts. Do you
> have some visual examples to show the differences? It would be
> interesting to compare the differences between bchr8t and mdbchr8t and
> change typescripts if needed.
>
> Moreover, math support would have to be added to typescripts - it
> could be based on mathdesign.

let's wait for results of the math-gyre project

Hans

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE

@ 2009-01-11 20:14     ` Wolfgang Schuster
From: Wolfgang Schuster @ 2009-01-11 20:14 UTC (permalink / raw)

Am 11.01.2009 um 20:54 schrieb Hans Hagen:

> Mojca Miklavec wrote:
>
>> I suspect that one might need to fix or improve typescripts. Do you
>> have some visual examples to show the differences? It would be
>> interesting to compare the differences between bchr8t and mdbchr8t
>> and
>> change typescripts if needed.
>> Moreover, math support would have to be added to typescripts - it
>> could be based on mathdesign.
>
> let's wait for results of the math-gyre project

Why, Charter is not part of the TeX Gyre project?

Wolfgang

* Re: Change the font to Charter
@ 2009-01-13 18:10     ` Mojca Miklavec
From: Mojca Miklavec @ 2009-01-13 18:10 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Sat, Jan 10, 2009 at 1:33 PM, Curious wrote:

> Thanks Mojca. Appreciate your response, though as you said I do not really
> understand what I have to do, or if I could do anything. But a few things,
>
> (1) Regarding the visual examples, I could post the PDF file generated with
> Latex and Context. Is there a way to do that on this list?

The list only accepts very small files. So there are some options:
- send the file to anyone interested (= the ones who replied to your thread)
- upload to your own server temporary
- (contextgarden.net needs a place to upload samples, but there's not
much you can do about it apart from writing the scripts)
- there are some public places that allow uploading files

> I noticed another
> difference, which is that the line spacing is slightly more in the Context
> document (compared to that compiled with Latex). In latex I chose
> \singlespacing. In Context, I did not change the default spacing. Is the default
> spacing different than singlespacing?
>
> (2) I was going to ask about the math support. You mentioned that it would have
> to be added to the typescript. How difficult is that? Does anyone know the
> commands that can be used for adding such support.

See type-*.tex and math-*.tex in ConTeXt sources. Mathdesign seems
rather sophisticated, so it depends to what extent one wants to
reimplement the functionality in ConTeXt.

Mojca