* typescript repository
@ 2009-03-23 20:30 Wolfgang Schuster
                   ` (7 more replies)
From: Wolfgang Schuster @ 2009-03-23 20:30 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi all,

what do think about a page with typescript files for good quality free
fonts,
we have a few typescripts on the wiki but you have to copy them first
in your
document or in a file before you can use them.

Wolfgang

* Re: typescript repository
@ 2009-03-23 20:32 ` luigi scarso
                   ` (6 subsequent siblings)
From: luigi scarso @ 2009-03-23 20:32 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Mon, Mar 23, 2009 at 9:30 PM, Wolfgang Schuster
<schuster.wolfgang@googlemail.com> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> what do think about a page with typescript files for good quality free
> fonts,
> we have a few typescripts on the wiki but you have to copy them first in
> your
> document or in a file before you can use them.
+ for me

--
luigi

* Re: typescript repository
@ 2009-03-23 21:20   ` Curiouslearn
From: Curiouslearn @ 2009-03-23 21:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

> On Mon, Mar 23, 2009 at 9:30 PM, Wolfgang Schuster
> <schuster.wolfgang <at> googlemail.com> wrote:
> > Hi all,
> >
> > what do think about a page with typescript files for good quality free
> > fonts,
> > we have a few typescripts on the wiki but you have to copy them first in
> > your
> > document or in a file before you can use them.
*
*
If this would make using these free fonts easier in Context documents...that
would be awesome.

*
*
*
*

* Re: typescript repository
@ 2009-03-23 21:44 ` Peter Münster
                   ` (5 subsequent siblings)
From: Peter Münster @ 2009-03-23 21:44 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Mon, 23 Mar 2009, Wolfgang Schuster wrote:

> what do think about a page with typescript files for good quality free fonts,
> we have a few typescripts on the wiki but you have to copy them first in your
> document or in a file before you can use them.

Good idea!
Or perhaps even better: make them available on
http://modules.contextgarden.net/ and/or in the minimals and/or in
cont-ext.zip (just as urwgothic or urwgaramond for example).

Cheers, Peter

--
Contact information: http://pmrb.free.fr/contact/

* Re: typescript repository
@ 2009-03-23 21:46 ` Aditya Mahajan
                   ` (4 subsequent siblings)
From: Aditya Mahajan @ 2009-03-23 21:46 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Mon, 23 Mar 2009, Wolfgang Schuster wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> what do think about a page with typescript files for good quality free fonts,
> we have a few typescripts on the wiki but you have to copy them first in your
> document or in a file before you can use them.

+1

Actually, I would also like to have a free font database, and a script
that downloads free fonts and installs them at the correct location.
Something along the lines of getnonfreefonts available with TeXLive.

Aditya

* Re: typescript repository
                   ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2009-03-23 21:51 ` Mohamed Bana
                   ` (3 subsequent siblings)
From: Mohamed Bana @ 2009-03-23 21:51 UTC (permalink / raw)

I personally would like see a "professionally done" typescript for
Minion and Warnock Pro with Myriad and Cronos Pro.  I posted mine a
while ago, but I got no feed back.

Wolfgang Schuster wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> what do think about a page with typescript files for good quality free
> fonts,
> we have a few typescripts on the wiki but you have to copy them first
> in your
> document or in a file before you can use them.
>
> Wolfgang

* Re: typescript repository
                   ` (3 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2009-03-23 22:00 ` Diego Depaoli
                   ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Diego Depaoli @ 2009-03-23 22:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Mon, Mar 23, 2009 at 9:30 PM, Wolfgang Schuster
<schuster.wolfgang@googlemail.com> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> what do think about a page with typescript files for good quality free
> fonts,
> we have a few typescripts on the wiki but you have to copy them first in
> your
> document or in a file before you can use them.

I agree.
Quoting myself (answering to Mojca)

--
Diego Depaoli

* Re: typescript repository
                   ` (4 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2009-03-23 22:00 ` luigi scarso
From: luigi scarso @ 2009-03-23 22:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Mon, Mar 23, 2009 at 9:30 PM, Wolfgang Schuster
<schuster.wolfgang@googlemail.com> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> what do think about a page with typescript files for good quality free
> fonts,
> we have a few typescripts on the wiki but you have to copy them first in
> your
> document or in a file before you can use them.
>
> Wolfgang

May I suggest to consider
http://users.teilar.gr/~g1951d/
?
(by Thomas S., if I remember well)

--
luigi

* Re: typescript repository
@ 2009-03-23 22:11   ` Wolfgang Schuster
From: Wolfgang Schuster @ 2009-03-23 22:11 UTC (permalink / raw)

Am 23.03.2009 um 22:51 schrieb Mohamed Bana:

> I personally would like see a "professionally done" typescript for
> Minion and Warnock Pro with Myriad and Cronos Pro.  I posted mine a
> while ago, but I got no feed back.

Because people need the fonts to make a test and Adobes *free* Minion/
Myriad
come only with four styles (no opticals). You could also opticals with
MkIV
but it requires more work -> http://wiki.contextgarden.net/Optical_Size

Wolfgang

* Re: typescript repository
                   ` (5 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2009-03-24 10:17 ` Alan Stone
From: Alan Stone @ 2009-03-24 10:17 UTC (permalink / raw)

Zuuuper idee!

Alan

On Mon, Mar 23, 2009 at 9:30 PM, Wolfgang Schuster <
schuster.wolfgang@googlemail.com> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> what do think about a page with typescript files for good quality free
> fonts,
> we have a few typescripts on the wiki but you have to copy them first in
> your
> document or in a file before you can use them.
>
> Wolfgang

Alan

* Re: typescript repository
@ 2009-03-24 15:27     ` Bruce D'Arcus
From: Bruce D'Arcus @ 2009-03-24 15:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

Wolfgang Schuster <schuster.wolfgang <at> googlemail.com> writes:

> Am 23.03.2009 um 22:51 schrieb Mohamed Bana:
>
> > I personally would like see a "professionally done" typescript for
> > Minion and Warnock Pro with Myriad and Cronos Pro.  I posted mine a
> > while ago, but I got no feed back.
>
> Because people need the fonts to make a test and Adobes *free* Minion/
> Myriad
> come only with four styles (no opticals). You could also opticals with
> MkIV
> but it requires more work -> http://wiki.contextgarden.net/Optical_Size

I think:

a) dealing with typescripts in ConteXt is a far bigger problem than
it should be

b) that it's fantastically good idea to have a repository of
typescripts to address this problem

c) that there's no reason at all to make a distinction between free
and professional fonts in such a repository

As for how to do it, I could imagine using the wiki. But I could also
imagine some other approach, like someone starting a project on GitHub or
something similar.

Bruce

* Re: typescript repository
@ 2009-03-24 17:39       ` Wolfgang Schuster
From: Wolfgang Schuster @ 2009-03-24 17:39 UTC (permalink / raw)

Am 24.03.2009 um 16:27 schrieb Bruce D'Arcus:

> As for how to do it, I could imagine using the wiki. But I could also
> imagine some other approach, like someone starting a project on
> GitHub or
> something similar.

I did this now, I put a few typescript files online:
http://bitbucket.org/wolfs/typescripts/src/299e712756a6/

Wolfgang

* Re: typescript repository
@ 2009-03-24 23:14       ` Idris Samawi Hamid ادريس سماوي حامد
From: Idris Samawi Hamid ادريس سماوي حامد @ 2009-03-24 23:14 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Tue, 24 Mar 2009 09:27:09 -0600, Bruce D'Arcus
<bdarcus.lists@gmail.com> wrote:

> c) that there's no reason at all to make a distinction between free
> and professional fonts in such a repository

I absolutely agree with Bruce on this point :-)

Best wishes
Idris

International Journal of Shi`i Studies
Department of Philosophy
Colorado State University
Fort Collins, CO 80523

* Re: typescript repository
@ 2009-03-25  3:08         ` Bruce D\'Arcus
From: Bruce D\'Arcus @ 2009-03-25  3:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

Wolfgang Schuster <schuster.wolfgang <at> googlemail.com> writes:

> Am 24.03.2009 um 16:27 schrieb Bruce D'Arcus:
>
> > As for how to do it, I could imagine using the wiki. But I could also
> > imagine some other approach, like someone starting a project on
> > GitHub or
> > something similar.
>
> I did this now, I put a few typescript files online:
> http://bitbucket.org/wolfs/typescripts/src/299e712756a6/

Great!

So followup question, then:

I saw you added the basic adobe typescripts (thanks!). How best to add opticals
support to this? Should the contents from the wiki be added more-or-less as is
to that typescript file?

Bruce

* Re: typescript repository
@ 2009-03-25  3:31           ` Mohamed Bana
From: Mohamed Bana @ 2009-03-25  3:31 UTC (permalink / raw)

Beware you might have to replace

  \definefontsynonym [SerifCaption-Regular]
[file:MinionPro-Capt]       [features=default]

with

  \definefontsynonym [SerifCaption-Regular]
[name:MinionPro-Capt]       [features=default]

on my install CM is used if "file:" is used.

Bruce D'Arcus wrote:
> Wolfgang Schuster <schuster.wolfgang <at> googlemail.com> writes:
>

>> Am 24.03.2009 um 16:27 schrieb Bruce D'Arcus:
>>

>>> As for how to do it, I could imagine using the wiki. But I could also
>>> imagine some other approach, like someone starting a project on
>>> GitHub or
>>> something similar.
>>>
>> I did this now, I put a few typescript files online:
>> http://bitbucket.org/wolfs/typescripts/src/299e712756a6/
>>

> Great!
>
> So followup question, then:
>
> I saw you added the basic adobe typescripts (thanks!). How best to add opticals
> support to this? Should the contents from the wiki be added more-or-less as is
> to that typescript file?
>
> Bruce

* Re: typescript repository
@ 2009-03-25  7:24         ` Marcin Borkowski
From: Marcin Borkowski @ 2009-03-25  7:24 UTC (permalink / raw)

Dnia Tue, Mar 24, 2009 at 05:14:49PM -0600, Idris Samawi Hamid ادريس سماوي حامد napisa&#322;(a):
> On Tue, 24 Mar 2009 09:27:09 -0600, Bruce D'Arcus
> <bdarcus.lists@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> >c) that there's no reason at all to make a distinction between free
> >and professional fonts in such a repository
>
> I absolutely agree with Bruce on this point :-)

And I strongly disagree.  A repository of that kind would be a great
idea, but at least one column in the table (price, or just "free: Y/N")
would be very useful - especially for people like me, who cannot afford
expensive commercial fonts.

And note that the distinction is *not* between "free" and
"professional", but rather "free" and "commercial".  Aren't LM or TeX
Gyre professional;)?

> Best wishes
> Idris

Regards

--
Marcin Borkowski (http://mbork.pl)

Wiesz, gazety kłamią, i karmią się tym, co same zmyślą.
Ale w życiu inaczej jest!
                        (Chili My)

* Re: typescript repository
@ 2009-03-25 11:51             ` Wolfgang Schuster
From: Wolfgang Schuster @ 2009-03-25 11:51 UTC (permalink / raw)

[-- Attachment #1: type-optical.tex --]

%D \module
%D   [       file=type-optical,
%D        version=2009.03.25,
%D          title=\CONTEXT\ Typescript Macros,
%D       subtitle=Adobe Font Definitions,
%D         author=Wolfgang Schuster,
%D           date=\currentdate,
%D      copyright=Wolfgang Schuster]

\startsetups [font:optical:serif]

  \definefontsynonym [SerifCaption-Regular]     [SerifRegular-Regular]
  \definefontsynonym [SerifCaption-Bold]        [SerifCaption-Regular]
  \definefontsynonym [SerifCaption-Italic]      [SerifCaption-Regular]
  \definefontsynonym [SerifCaption-Slanted]     [SerifCaption-Italic]
  \definefontsynonym [SerifCaption-BoldItalic]  [SerifCaption-Regular]
  \definefontsynonym [SerifCaption-BoldSlanted] [SerifCaption-BoldItalic]

  \definefontsynonym [SerifRegular-Regular]     [DefaultFont]
  \definefontsynonym [SerifRegular-Bold]        [SerifRegular-Regular]
  \definefontsynonym [SerifRegular-Italic]      [SerifRegular-Regular]
  \definefontsynonym [SerifRegular-Slanted]     [SerifRegular-Italic]
  \definefontsynonym [SerifRegular-BoldItalic]  [SerifRegular-Regular]
  \definefontsynonym [SerifRegular-BoldSlanted] [SerifRegular-BoldItalic]

  \definefontsynonym [SerifSubhead-Regular]     [SerifRegular-Regular]
  \definefontsynonym [SerifSubhead-Bold]        [SerifSubhead-Regular]
  \definefontsynonym [SerifSubhead-Italic]      [SerifSubhead-Regular]
  \definefontsynonym [SerifSubhead-Slanted]     [SerifSubhead-Italic]
  \definefontsynonym [SerifSubhead-BoldItalic]  [SerifSubhead-Regular]
  \definefontsynonym [SerifSubhead-BoldSlanted] [SerifSubhead-BoldItalic]

  \definefontsynonym [SerifDisplay-Regular]     [SerifRegular-Regular]
  \definefontsynonym [SerifDisplay-Bold]        [SerifDisplay-Regular]
  \definefontsynonym [SerifDisplay-Italic]      [SerifDisplay-Regular]
  \definefontsynonym [SerifDisplay-Slanted]     [SerifDisplay-Italic]
  \definefontsynonym [SerifDisplay-BoldItalic]  [SerifDisplay-Regular]
  \definefontsynonym [SerifDisplay-BoldSlanted] [SerifDisplay-BoldItalic]

\stopsetups

\startsetups [font:optical:sans]

  \definefontsynonym [SansCaption-Regular]     [SansRegular-Regular]
  \definefontsynonym [SansCaption-Bold]        [SansCaption-Regular]
  \definefontsynonym [SansCaption-Italic]      [SansCaption-Regular]
  \definefontsynonym [SansCaption-Slanted]     [SansCaption-Italic]
  \definefontsynonym [SansCaption-BoldItalic]  [SansCaption-Regular]
  \definefontsynonym [SansCaption-BoldSlanted] [SansCaption-BoldItalic]

  \definefontsynonym [SansRegular-Regular]     [DefaultFont]
  \definefontsynonym [SansRegular-Bold]        [SansRegular-Regular]
  \definefontsynonym [SansRegular-Italic]      [SansRegular-Regular]
  \definefontsynonym [SansRegular-Slanted]     [SansRegular-Italic]
  \definefontsynonym [SansRegular-BoldItalic]  [SansRegular-Regular]
  \definefontsynonym [SansRegular-BoldSlanted] [SansRegular-BoldItalic]

  \definefontsynonym [SansSubhead-Regular]     [SansRegular-Regular]
  \definefontsynonym [SansSubhead-Bold]        [SansSubhead-Regular]
  \definefontsynonym [SansSubhead-Italic]      [SansSubhead-Regular]
  \definefontsynonym [SansSubhead-Slanted]     [SansSubhead-Italic]
  \definefontsynonym [SansSubhead-BoldItalic]  [SansSubhead-Regular]
  \definefontsynonym [SansSubhead-BoldSlanted] [SansSubhead-BoldItalic]

  \definefontsynonym [SansDisplay-Regular]     [SansRegular-Regular]
  \definefontsynonym [SansDisplay-Bold]        [SansDisplay-Regular]
  \definefontsynonym [SansDisplay-Italic]      [SansDisplay-Regular]
  \definefontsynonym [SansDisplay-Slanted]     [SansDisplay-Italic]
  \definefontsynonym [SansDisplay-BoldItalic]  [SansDisplay-Regular]
  \definefontsynonym [SansDisplay-BoldSlanted] [SansDisplay-BoldItalic]

\stopsetups

\starttypescript [serif] [optical] [size]

  \definebodyfont [4pt,5pt,6pt,7pt,8pt] [rm]
    [tf=SerifCaption-Regular     sa 1,
     bf=SerifCaption-Bold        sa 1,
     it=SerifCaption-Italic      sa 1,
     sl=SerifCaption-Slanted     sa 1,
     bi=SerifCaption-BoldItalic  sa 1,
     bs=SerifCaption-BoldSlanted sa 1]

  \definebodyfont [9pt,10pt,11pt,12pt] [rm]
    [tf=SerifRegular-Regular     sa 1,
     bf=SerifRegular-Bold        sa 1,
     it=SerifRegular-Italic      sa 1,
     sl=SerifRegular-Slanted     sa 1,
     bi=SerifRegular-BoldItalic  sa 1,
     bs=SerifRegular-BoldSlanted sa 1]

  \definebodyfont [14.4pt,17.3pt] [rm]
    [tf=SerifSubhead-Regular     sa 1,
     bf=SerifSubhead-Bold        sa 1,
     it=SerifSubhead-Italic      sa 1,
     sl=SerifSubhead-Slanted     sa 1,
     bi=SerifSubhead-BoldItalic  sa 1,
     bs=SerifSubhead-BoldSlanted sa 1]

  \definebodyfont [20.7pt] [rm]
    [tf=SerifDisplay-Regular     sa 1,
     bf=SerifDisplay-Bold        sa 1,
     it=SerifDisplay-Italic      sa 1,
     sl=SerifDisplay-Slanted     sa 1,
     bi=SerifDisplay-BoldItalic  sa 1,
     bs=SerifDisplay-BoldSlanted sa 1]

\stoptypescript

\starttypescript [sans] [optical] [size]

  \definebodyfont [4pt,5pt,6pt,7pt,8pt] [ss]
    [tf=SansCaption-Regular     sa 1,
     bf=SansCaption-Bold        sa 1,
     it=SansCaption-Italic      sa 1,
     sl=SansCaption-Slanted     sa 1,
     bi=SansCaption-BoldItalic  sa 1,
     bs=SansCaption-BoldSlanted sa 1]

  \definebodyfont [9pt,10pt,11pt,12pt] [ss]
    [tf=SansRegular-Regular     sa 1,
     bf=SansRegular-Bold        sa 1,
     it=SansRegular-Italic      sa 1,
     sl=SansRegular-Slanted     sa 1,
     bi=SansRegular-BoldItalic  sa 1,
     bs=SansRegular-BoldSlanted sa 1]

  \definebodyfont [14.4pt,17.3pt] [ss]
    [tf=SansSubhead-Regular     sa 1,
     bf=SansSubhead-Bold        sa 1,
     it=SansSubhead-Italic      sa 1,
     sl=SansSubhead-Slanted     sa 1,
     bi=SansSubhead-BoldItalic  sa 1,
     bs=SansSubhead-BoldSlanted sa 1]

  \definebodyfont [20.7pt] [ss]
    [tf=SansDisplay-Regular     sa 1,
     bf=SansDisplay-Bold        sa 1,
     it=SansDisplay-Italic      sa 1,
     sl=SansDisplay-Slanted     sa 1,
     bi=SansDisplay-BoldItalic  sa 1,
     bs=SansDisplay-BoldSlanted sa 1]

\stoptypescript

\definetypescriptprefix [f:brioso]    [Brioso Pro]
\definetypescriptprefix [f:chaparral] [Chaparral Pro]
\definetypescriptprefix [f:jenson]    [Adobe Jenson Pro]
\definetypescriptprefix [f:kepler]    [Kepler Std]
\definetypescriptprefix [f:minion]    [Minion Pro]
\definetypescriptprefix [f:utopia]    [Utopia Std]
\definetypescriptprefix [f:warnock]   [Warnock Pro]
\definetypescriptprefix [f:cronos]    [Cronos Pro]

\starttypescript [serif,sans] [brioso,chaparral,jenson,kepler,minion,utopia,warnock,cronos]

  \definefontsynonym [\typescriptprefix{\typescriptone}]           [\typescriptprefix{\typescriptone}Regular-Regular]
  \definefontsynonym [\typescriptprefix{\typescriptone}Bold]       [\typescriptprefix{\typescriptone}Regular-Bold]
  \definefontsynonym [\typescriptprefix{\typescriptone}Italic]     [\typescriptprefix{\typescriptone}Regular-Italic]
  \definefontsynonym [\typescriptprefix{\typescriptone}BoldItalic] [\typescriptprefix{\typescriptone}Regular-BoldItalic]

\stoptypescript

\starttypescript [serif,sans] [brioso,chaparral,jenson,kepler,minion,utopia,warnock,cronos]

  \setups[font:optical:\typescriptprefix{\typescriptone}]

  \definefontsynonym [\typescriptprefix{\typescriptone}Caption-Regular]    [name:\typescriptprefix{n:\typescripttwo} Caption]             [features=default]
  \definefontsynonym [\typescriptprefix{\typescriptone}Caption-Bold]       [name:\typescriptprefix{n:\typescripttwo} Bold Caption]        [features=default]
  \definefontsynonym [\typescriptprefix{\typescriptone}Caption-Italic]     [name:\typescriptprefix{n:\typescripttwo} Italic Caption]      [features=default]
  \definefontsynonym [\typescriptprefix{\typescriptone}Caption-BoldItalic] [name:\typescriptprefix{n:\typescripttwo} Bold Italic Caption] [features=default]

  \definefontsynonym [\typescriptprefix{\typescriptone}Regular-Regular]    [name:\typescriptprefix{n:\typescripttwo}]                     [features=default]
  \definefontsynonym [\typescriptprefix{\typescriptone}Regular-Bold]       [name:\typescriptprefix{n:\typescripttwo} Bold]                [features=default]
  \definefontsynonym [\typescriptprefix{\typescriptone}Regular-Italic]     [name:\typescriptprefix{n:\typescripttwo} Italic]              [features=default]
  \definefontsynonym [\typescriptprefix{\typescriptone}Regular-BoldItalic] [name:\typescriptprefix{n:\typescripttwo} Bold Italic]         [features=default]

  \definefontsynonym [\typescriptprefix{\typescriptone}Subhead-Regular]    [name:\typescriptprefix{n:\typescripttwo} Subhead]             [features=default]
  \definefontsynonym [\typescriptprefix{\typescriptone}Subhead-Bold]       [name:\typescriptprefix{n:\typescripttwo} Bold Subhead]        [features=default]
  \definefontsynonym [\typescriptprefix{\typescriptone}Subhead-Italic]     [name:\typescriptprefix{n:\typescripttwo} Italic Subhead]      [features=default]
  \definefontsynonym [\typescriptprefix{\typescriptone}Subhead-BoldItalic] [name:\typescriptprefix{n:\typescripttwo} Bold Italic Subhead] [features=default]

  \definefontsynonym [\typescriptprefix{\typescriptone}Display-Regular]    [name:\typescriptprefix{n:\typescripttwo} Display]             [features=default]
  \definefontsynonym [\typescriptprefix{\typescriptone}Display-Bold]       [name:\typescriptprefix{n:\typescripttwo} Bold Display]        [features=default]
  \definefontsynonym [\typescriptprefix{\typescriptone}Display-Italic]     [name:\typescriptprefix{n:\typescripttwo} Italic Display]      [features=default]
  \definefontsynonym [\typescriptprefix{\typescriptone}Display-BoldItalic] [name:\typescriptprefix{n:\typescripttwo} Bold Italic Display] [features=default]

\stoptypescript

\starttypescript [brioso,chaparral,jenson,kepler,minion,utopia,warnock]
  \definetypeface [\typescriptone] [rm] [serif] [\typescriptone] [optical]
\stoptypescript

\starttypescript [cronos]
  \definetypeface [\typescriptone] [ss] [sans] [\typescriptone] [optical]
\stoptypescript

\endinput

Am 25.03.2009 um 04:31 schrieb Mohamed Bana:

> Beware you might have to replace
>
> \definefontsynonym [SerifCaption-Regular]    [file:MinionPro-
> Capt]       [features=default]
>
> with
>
> \definefontsynonym [SerifCaption-Regular]    [name:MinionPro-
> Capt]       [features=default]

Can you test my new version.

Wolfgang

* Re: typescript repository
@ 2009-03-25 13:37               ` Mohamed Bana
From: Mohamed Bana @ 2009-03-25 13:37 UTC (permalink / raw)

Some strange font is used now.

\usetypescriptfile[type-optical]

% \starttypescript [main] [war]
%   \definetypeface [war] [rm] [serif] [minion] [optical]
%   \definetypeface [war] [ss] [sans] [cronos] [optical]
% \stoptypescript

% \usetypescript[main][war]
% \setupbodyfont[war,rm,14pt]

\starttypescript [main]
  \definetypeface [main] [rm] [serif] [minion] [optical]
  \definetypeface [main] [ss] [sans] [cronos] [optical]
\stoptypescript

\usetypescript[main]
\setupbodyfont[main,14pt]

\starttext

\input tufte
123456789

{\os 123456789}

hello---good morning.

between the 4--5.

is it type-safe.

\blank[5*big]

\ss

\input tufte
123456789

{\os 123456789}

hello---good morning.

between the 4--5.

is it type-safe.

\stoptext

Wolfgang Schuster wrote:

> Am 25.03.2009 um 04:31 schrieb Mohamed Bana:
>
>> Beware you might have to replace
>>
>> \definefontsynonym [SerifCaption-Regular]
>> [file:MinionPro-Capt]       [features=default]
>>
>> with
>>
>> \definefontsynonym [SerifCaption-Regular]
>> [name:MinionPro-Capt]       [features=default]
>
> Can you test my new version.
>
> Wolfgang

[-- Attachment #2: minionpro.pdf --]

* Re: typescript repository
@ 2009-03-25 13:52           ` Bruce D\\\'Arcus
From: Bruce D\\\'Arcus @ 2009-03-25 13:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

Marcin Borkowski <mbork <at> atos.wmid.amu.edu.pl> writes:

> Dnia Tue, Mar 24, 2009 at 05:14:49PM -0600, Idris Samawi Hamid ادريس سماوي
حامد napisa&#322;(a):
> > On Tue, 24 Mar 2009 09:27:09 -0600, Bruce D'Arcus
> > <bdarcus.lists <at> gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > >c) that there's no reason at all to make a distinction between free
> > >and professional fonts in such a repository
> >
> > I absolutely agree with Bruce on this point
>
> And I strongly disagree.  A repository of that kind would be a great
> idea, but at least one column in the table (price, or just "free: Y/N")
> would be very useful - especially for people like me, who cannot afford
> expensive commercial fonts.

OK, let me rephrase: I mean there's no reason to exclude commercial font
tyepscripts from the repository.

Also, I think it would be useful to include availability information in the file
(if possible) regardless of the whether it's free or commercial.

> And note that the distinction is *not* between "free" and
> "professional", but rather "free" and "commercial".  Aren't LM or TeX
> Gyre professional;)?

You're right that my word choice was wrong. OTOH, I think LM looks like crap ;-)

But your wording is also a little loose; "free" is rather vague, and licensing
details matter quite a lot with fonts.

Bruce

* Re: typescript repository
@ 2009-03-25 14:30             ` Marcin Borkowski
From: Marcin Borkowski @ 2009-03-25 14:30 UTC (permalink / raw)

Dnia Wed, Mar 25, 2009 at 01:52:34PM +0000, Bruce D\\\'Arcus napisa&#322;(a):
> Marcin Borkowski <mbork <at> atos.wmid.amu.edu.pl> writes:
>

> > Dnia Tue, Mar 24, 2009 at 05:14:49PM -0600, Idris Samawi Hamid ادريس سماوي
> حامد napisa&#322;(a):

> > > I absolutely agree with Bruce on this point
> >
> > And I strongly disagree.  A repository of that kind would be a great
> > idea, but at least one column in the table (price, or just "free: Y/N")
> > would be very useful - especially for people like me, who cannot afford
> > expensive commercial fonts.
>
> OK, let me rephrase: I mean there's no reason to exclude commercial font
> tyepscripts from the repository.
>
> Also, I think it would be useful to include availability information in the file
> (if possible) regardless of the whether it's free or commercial.

That's right.

> > And note that the distinction is *not* between "free" and
> > "professional", but rather "free" and "commercial".  Aren't LM or TeX
> > Gyre professional;)?
>
> You're right that my word choice was wrong. OTOH, I think LM looks like crap ;-)

Well, it's just Computer Modern revamped;).

> But your wording is also a little loose; "free" is rather vague, and licensing
> details matter quite a lot with fonts.

That's true, too; licensing and intellectual property law resemble a
jungle...

> Bruce

Regards

--
Marcin Borkowski (http://mbork.pl)

Well, I admit that I quite like the Emacs operating system.  The only
problem with it is that it lacks a good ASCII editor.

* Re: typescript repository
@ 2009-03-25 14:33                 ` Wolfgang Schuster
From: Wolfgang Schuster @ 2009-03-25 14:33 UTC (permalink / raw)

Am 25.03.2009 um 14:37 schrieb Mohamed Bana:

> Some strange font is used now.

A fixed version is in the repository.

Wolfgang

* Re: typescript repository
@ 2009-03-25 14:40             ` Wolfgang Schuster
From: Wolfgang Schuster @ 2009-03-25 14:40 UTC (permalink / raw)

Am 25.03.2009 um 14:52 schrieb Bruce D'Arcus:

>> And I strongly disagree.  A repository of that kind would be a great
>> idea, but at least one column in the table (price, or just "free: Y/
>> N")
>> would be very useful - especially for people like me, who cannot
>> afford
>> expensive commercial fonts.
>
> OK, let me rephrase: I mean there's no reason to exclude commercial
> font
> tyepscripts from the repository.
>
> Also, I think it would be useful to include availability information
> in the file
> (if possible) regardless of the whether it's free or commercial.

I prefer a page on the wiki or a file with a list of fonts and
the corresponding typescript file.

Wolfgang

* Re: typescript repository
@ 2009-03-25 14:42                   ` Mohamed Bana
From: Mohamed Bana @ 2009-03-25 14:42 UTC (permalink / raw)

it works, great!

thanks

Wolfgang Schuster wrote:

> Am 25.03.2009 um 14:37 schrieb Mohamed Bana:
>
>> Some strange font is used now.
>
> A fixed version is in the repository.
>
> Wolfgang

* Re: typescript repository
                   ` (6 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2009-03-25 20:43 ` Wolfgang Schuster
From: Wolfgang Schuster @ 2009-03-25 20:43 UTC (permalink / raw)

the repository [1] has now a few typescripts from me but it would
be nice if other people can contribute more files for other fonts.

Another thing I need is a license for the files because I need
one for CTAN submission and TeXLive inclusion.

[1] http://bitbucket.org/wolfs/typescripts/

Wolfgang

* Re: typescript repository
@ 2009-03-26  9:04               ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2009-03-26  9:04 UTC (permalink / raw)

Marcin Borkowski wrote:

>>> And note that the distinction is *not* between "free" and
>>> "professional", but rather "free" and "commercial".  Aren't LM or TeX
>>> Gyre professional;)?
>> You're right that my word choice was wrong. OTOH, I think LM looks like crap ;-)

that's personal; what fonts you use and like somehow relates to the
content and nature of the book

anyhow, this repos / table ... can we also add info about features and
to what extend they are supported? i.e. the quality of the feature
support in a font an dmaybe the defaults?

Hans

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE
                                              | www.pragma-pod.nl

* Re: typescript repository
@ 2009-03-26  9:13                 ` Arthur Reutenauer
                                     ` (2 more replies)
From: Arthur Reutenauer @ 2009-03-26  9:13 UTC (permalink / raw)

> anyhow, this repos / table ... can we also add info about features and to
> what extend they are supported? i.e. the quality of the feature support in
> a font an dmaybe the defaults?

  Oh yes, that would be great.  Seeing the output of otfinfo -f, or
anything equivalent, would be immensively helpful in the choice of a
font.

	Arthur

* Re: typescript repository
@ 2009-03-26  9:23                   ` luigi scarso
From: luigi scarso @ 2009-03-26  9:23 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Thu, Mar 26, 2009 at 10:13 AM, Arthur Reutenauer
<arthur.reutenauer@normalesup.org> wrote:
>> anyhow, this repos / table ... can we also add info about features and to
>> what extend they are supported? i.e. the quality of the feature support in
>> a font an dmaybe the defaults?
>
>  Oh yes, that would be great.  Seeing the output of otfinfo -f, or
> anything equivalent, would be immensively helpful in the choice of a
> font.
May I suggest ttx ?
http://www.letterror.com/code/ttx/

--
luigi

* Re: typescript repository
@ 2009-03-26  9:29                   ` Wolfgang Schuster
From: Wolfgang Schuster @ 2009-03-26  9:29 UTC (permalink / raw)

Am 26.03.2009 um 10:13 schrieb Arthur Reutenauer:

>> anyhow, this repos / table ... can we also add info about features
>> and to
>> what extend they are supported? i.e. the quality of the feature
>> support in
>> a font an dmaybe the defaults?
>
>  Oh yes, that would be great.  Seeing the output of otfinfo -f, or
> anything equivalent, would be immensively helpful in the choice of a
> font.

This is what I want to do with my fontbook project, a book with samples
of free fonts (left side all style plus features, right side example
text).

Adobe provides a font with a few symbols of opentype features

The document is in a earyl state and I try to automate large parts
(save font
related information like name, feature, typescript etc. in a lua table
or xml
file) and to find a better example text (english, continued text, the
gutenberg
project offers nice texts).

[1] http://bitbucket.org/wolfs/fontbook/
[2] http://www.fontspace.com/adobe/otf-icons (can't find the original
link from Adobe)

Wolfgang

* Re: typescript repository
@ 2009-03-26  9:35         ` Henning Hraban Ramm
From: Henning Hraban Ramm @ 2009-03-26  9:35 UTC (permalink / raw)

I'd suggest to agree on a unified naming system, like
type-VENDOR-FONT.tex
or organize the typescript in directories like the fonts themselves.

I guess I should update my old public typescripts to LuaTeX soon...
WRTT: Can we agree to only provide MkIV typescripts? (I hope their
format is stable now?)

Can we agree on some versioning? (If we keep the files in some git/svn
repository that should be no problem, we can just checkout the latest
version.)

Greetlings from Lake Constance!
Hraban
---
http://www.fiee.net/texnique/
http://wiki.contextgarden.net
https://www.cacert.org (I'm an assurer)

[-- Attachment #1.2: Signierter Teil der Nachricht --]

* Re: typescript repository
@ 2009-03-26  9:50                   ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2009-03-26  9:50 UTC (permalink / raw)

Arthur Reutenauer wrote:
>> anyhow, this repos / table ... can we also add info about features and to
>> what extend they are supported? i.e. the quality of the feature support in
>> a font an dmaybe the defaults?
>
>   Oh yes, that would be great.  Seeing the output of otfinfo -f, or
> anything equivalent, would be immensively helpful in the choice of a
> font.

or better

mtxrun --script --font --list --info ....

as then i can later add extra info about this quality (as i can create a
database for fonts)

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE
                                              | www.pragma-pod.nl

* Re: typescript repository
@ 2009-03-26 10:00           ` Wolfgang Schuster
From: Wolfgang Schuster @ 2009-03-26 10:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

Am 26.03.2009 um 10:35 schrieb Henning Hraban Ramm:

> I'd suggest to agree on a unified naming system, like
> type-VENDOR-FONT.tex
> or organize the typescript in directories like the fonts themselves.

Feel free to change my files.

> I guess I should update my old public typescripts to LuaTeX soon...
> WRTT: Can we agree to only provide MkIV typescripts? (I hope their
> format is stable now?)

My typescripts should work with XeTeX and LuaTeX.

Look into type-mac.(tex|mkii|mkiv) (shipped with ConTeXt) how to give
each of
them their preferred font names.

@ 2009-03-26 18:38   ` Mohamed Bana
From: Mohamed Bana @ 2009-03-26 18:38 UTC (permalink / raw)

does anyone use Asana Math?

Wolfgang Schuster wrote:
> Hi,
>
> the repository [1] has now a few typescripts from me but it would
> be nice if other people can contribute more files for other fonts.
>
> Another thing I need is a license for the files because I need
> one for CTAN submission and TeXLive inclusion.
>
> [1] http://bitbucket.org/wolfs/typescripts/
>
> Wolfgang

* Re: typescript repository
@ 2009-03-26 18:44     ` Aditya Mahajan
From: Aditya Mahajan @ 2009-03-26 18:44 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Thu, 26 Mar 2009, Mohamed Bana wrote:

> does anyone use Asana Math?

I do. Right now, mostly for testing purposes.

Aditya