* New module simpleslides
@ 2009-03-31 19:39 Thomas A. Schmitz
                   ` (5 more replies)
From: Thomas A. Schmitz @ 2009-03-31 19:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: mailing ConTeXt users list for

Dear list members,

We're happy to announce the initial release of the simpleslides
module. It has taken us somewhat longer than we anticipated, but now
it's there! simpleslides is a module that facilitates the creation of
presentations in ConTeXt. It provides a few macros to position titles,
text, and images on slides, some typescripts to make use of
LatinModern and the TeXGyre fonts, and a few pre-defined styles that
should make your presentations visually appealing.

We guarantee that this release is absolutely bug-free; whoever finds a
bug has the inalienable right to buy us a beer at the next ConTeXt
meeting! Seriously: we are aware that some things are not working as
expected. Our biggest and most embarrassing problem for the time being
is that the module refuses to work with XeTeX. Neither of us uses
XeTeX on a regular basis, and we're not familiar with its innards, so
we're at a loss here. If you can offer help, you will be most welcome!

We would of course welcome feedback, bug reports, feature suggestions,
etc., so download the module at http://modules.contextgarden.net/module/detail?name=simpleslides
  and give it a whirl!

Aditya and Thomas

* Re: New module simpleslides
@ 2009-03-31 19:43 ` curiouslearn
                   ` (4 subsequent siblings)
From: curiouslearn @ 2009-03-31 19:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

Thomas A. Schmitz <thomas.schmitz <at> uni-bonn.de> writes:

> Dear list members,
>
> We're happy to announce the initial release of the simpleslides
> module.
> Aditya and Thomas

Aditya and Thomas,

Thank you for your efforts. I look forward to exploring your simple
slides module.

* Re: New module simpleslides
@ 2009-03-31 19:57 ` Wolfgang Schuster
                   ` (3 subsequent siblings)
From: Wolfgang Schuster @ 2009-03-31 19:57 UTC (permalink / raw)

Am 31.03.2009 um 21:39 schrieb Thomas A. Schmitz:

> Dear list members,
>
> We're happy to announce the initial release of the simpleslides
> module.

Can you remove the date from the filename.

http://dl.contextgarden.net/modules/t-simpleslides-2009.03.31.zip-2009-03-31.zip

Wolfgang

* Re: New module simpleslides
@ 2009-03-31 20:04   ` Thomas A. Schmitz
From: Thomas A. Schmitz @ 2009-03-31 20:04 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Mar 31, 2009, at 9:57 PM, Wolfgang Schuster wrote:

> Can you remove the date from the filename.

No, I'm afraid it doesn't let me change this any more. This looks
realy strange - if I create the zip with textools, I get a filename t-
XXXt-2009.03.31.zip, and when I upload this to the garden, it will
append the date and the extension again! Sorry for this

Thomas

* Re: New module simpleslides
@ 2009-03-31 23:12 ` Mohamed Bana
                   ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Mohamed Bana @ 2009-03-31 23:12 UTC (permalink / raw)

thank you both.

is there any chance that this will ship with the minimals, that is, so i
don't have to download and extract it manually?  i've never been content
with slides that come as part of ConTeXt, some are too fancy.

Thomas A. Schmitz wrote:
> Dear list members,
>
> We're happy to announce the initial release of the simpleslides
> module. It has taken us somewhat longer than we anticipated, but now
> it's there! simpleslides is a module that facilitates the creation of
> presentations in ConTeXt. It provides a few macros to position titles,
> text, and images on slides, some typescripts to make use of
> LatinModern and the TeXGyre fonts, and a few pre-defined styles that
> should make your presentations visually appealing.
>
> We guarantee that this release is absolutely bug-free; whoever finds a
> bug has the inalienable right to buy us a beer at the next ConTeXt
> meeting! Seriously: we are aware that some things are not working as
> expected. Our biggest and most embarrassing problem for the time being
> is that the module refuses to work with XeTeX. Neither of us uses
> XeTeX on a regular basis, and we're not familiar with its innards, so
> we're at a loss here. If you can offer help, you will be most welcome!
>
> We would of course welcome feedback, bug reports, feature suggestions,
> etc., so download the module at
> http://modules.contextgarden.net/module/detail?name=simpleslides and
> give it a whirl!
>
> Aditya and Thomas

* Re: New module simpleslides
@ 2009-03-31 23:27   ` Mojca Miklavec
From: Mojca Miklavec @ 2009-03-31 23:27 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Wed, Apr 1, 2009 at 01:12, Mohamed Bana wrote:
> thank you both.
>
> is there any chance that this will ship with the minimals, that is, so i
> don't have to download and extract it manually?  i've never been content
> with slides that come as part of ConTeXt, some are too fancy.

No problem, but someone (Patrick?) needs to fix the weird module name first.

Mojca

> Thomas A. Schmitz wrote:
>>
>> Dear list members,
>>
>> We're happy to announce the initial release of the simpleslides module. It
>> has taken us somewhat longer than we anticipated, but now it's there!
>> simpleslides is a module that facilitates the creation of presentations in
>> ConTeXt. It provides a few macros to position titles, text, and images on
>> slides, some typescripts to make use of LatinModern and the TeXGyre fonts,
>> and a few pre-defined styles that should make your presentations visually
>> appealing.
>>
>> We guarantee that this release is absolutely bug-free; whoever finds a bug
>> has the inalienable right to buy us a beer at the next ConTeXt meeting!
>> Seriously: we are aware that some things are not working as expected. Our
>> biggest and most embarrassing problem for the time being is that the module
>> refuses to work with XeTeX. Neither of us uses XeTeX on a regular basis, and
>> we're not familiar with its innards, so we're at a loss here. If you can
>> offer help, you will be most welcome!
>>
>> We would of course welcome feedback, bug reports, feature suggestions,
>> etc., so download the module at
>> http://modules.contextgarden.net/module/detail?name=simpleslides and give it
>> a whirl!
>>
>> Aditya and Thomas

* Re: New module simpleslides
@ 2009-04-01  7:52     ` Patrick Gundlach
From: Patrick Gundlach @ 2009-04-01  7:52 UTC (permalink / raw)

>> don't have to download and extract it manually?  i've never been content
>> with slides that come as part of ConTeXt, some are too fancy.
>
> No problem, but someone (Patrick?) needs to fix the weird module name first.

I'll do that.

Patrick

* Re: New module simpleslides
                   ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2009-04-01  8:30 ` Jean Magnan de Bornier
From: Jean Magnan de Bornier @ 2009-04-01  8:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

Le 31 mars à 21:39:45 "Thomas A. Schmitz" <thomas.schmitz@uni-bonn.de> écrit notamment:

| Dear list members,
>
| We're happy to announce the initial release of the simpleslides
| module. It has taken us somewhat longer than we anticipated, but now
| it's there! simpleslides is a module that facilitates the creation of
| presentations in ConTeXt. It provides a few macros to position titles,
| text, and images on slides, some typescripts to make use of
| LatinModern and the TeXGyre fonts, and a few pre-defined styles that
| should make your presentations visually appealing.
>
| We guarantee that this release is absolutely bug-free; whoever finds a
| bug has the inalienable right to buy us a beer at the next ConTeXt
| meeting! Seriously: we are aware that some things are not working as
| expected. Our biggest and most embarrassing problem for the time being
| is that the module refuses to work with XeTeX. Neither of us uses
| XeTeX on a regular basis, and we're not familiar with its innards, so
| we're at a loss here. If you can offer help, you will be most welcome!
>
| We would of course welcome feedback, bug reports, feature suggestions,
| etc., so download the module at
| http://modules.contextgarden.net/module/detail?name=simpleslides and
| give it a whirl!
>
| Aditya and Thomas

Hi all,

Thanks for this nice work; I'm doing some tests (mkiv) and for now I see
no problem.

In the pdf manual however a BIG BIG (1st of april!) problem on page 16:
color green is announced on the title, blue actually shown.

Great work, easier to use than good-old ancester taspresent!

Best,
--
Jean

* Re: New module simpleslides
@ 2009-04-01 13:07   ` Aditya Mahajan
From: Aditya Mahajan @ 2009-04-01 13:07 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Wed, 1 Apr 2009, Jean Magnan de Bornier wrote:

> Le 31 mars à 21:39:45 "Thomas A. Schmitz" <thomas.schmitz@uni-bonn.de> écrit notamment:
>
> | Dear list members,
>>
> | We're happy to announce the initial release of the simpleslides
> | module. It has taken us somewhat longer than we anticipated, but now
> | it's there! simpleslides is a module that facilitates the creation of
> | presentations in ConTeXt. It provides a few macros to position titles,
> | text, and images on slides, some typescripts to make use of
> | LatinModern and the TeXGyre fonts, and a few pre-defined styles that
> | should make your presentations visually appealing.
>>
> | We guarantee that this release is absolutely bug-free; whoever finds a
> | bug has the inalienable right to buy us a beer at the next ConTeXt
> | meeting! Seriously: we are aware that some things are not working as
> | expected. Our biggest and most embarrassing problem for the time being
> | is that the module refuses to work with XeTeX. Neither of us uses
> | XeTeX on a regular basis, and we're not familiar with its innards, so
> | we're at a loss here. If you can offer help, you will be most welcome!
>>
> | We would of course welcome feedback, bug reports, feature suggestions,
> | etc., so download the module at
> | http://modules.contextgarden.net/module/detail?name=simpleslides and
> | give it a whirl!
>>
> | Aditya and Thomas
>
> Hi all,
>
> Thanks for this nice work; I'm doing some tests (mkiv) and for now I see
> no problem.

Thanks for testing. You can also run

mtxrun --script simpleslides --styles=all  (or --styles=<Name of style>)

for testing (you need to have a styles directory at the current path).
Don't forgot to go for coffee after that.

> In the pdf manual however a BIG BIG (1st of april!) problem on page 16:
> color green is announced on the title, blue actually shown.

Thanks. Fixed in the git version.

Aditya

* Re: New module simpleslides
                   ` (3 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2009-04-01 16:11 ` Jesse Alama
From: Jesse Alama @ 2009-04-01 16:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

Hi Thomas,

"Thomas A. Schmitz" <thomas.schmitz@uni-bonn.de> writes:

> We're happy to announce the initial release of the simpleslides
> module. It has taken us somewhat longer than we anticipated, but now
> it's there! simpleslides is a module that facilitates the creation of
> presentations in ConTeXt. It provides a few macros to position titles,
> text, and images on slides, some typescripts to make use of
> LatinModern and the TeXGyre fonts, and a few pre-defined styles that
> should make your presentations visually appealing.
>
> We guarantee that this release is absolutely bug-free; whoever finds a
> bug has the inalienable right to buy us a beer at the next ConTeXt
> meeting! Seriously: we are aware that some things are not working as
> expected. Our biggest and most embarrassing problem for the time being
> is that the module refuses to work with XeTeX. Neither of us uses
> XeTeX on a regular basis, and we're not familiar with its innards, so
> we're at a loss here. If you can offer help, you will be most welcome!
>
> We would of course welcome feedback, bug reports, feature suggestions,
> etc., so download the module at
> http://modules.contextgarden.net/module/detail?name=simpleslides and
> give it a whirl!

The package that you and Aditya is really nice.  I've already used it
for a number of presentations, all in academic settings where the
simplicity of design has helped me as an author to focus on the content
and it has helped focus the presentation delivery on the content, too.
Thanks a lot.

I've been following the git repository for a while now.  Is that still
going to be updated, or will development shift to some some other
method?

Jesse

--
Jesse Alama (alama@stanford.edu)

* Re: New module simpleslides
                   ` (4 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2009-04-01 17:14 ` Alan BRASLAU
From: Alan BRASLAU @ 2009-04-01 17:14 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Tuesday 31 March 2009 21:39:45 Thomas A. Schmitz wrote:
> We would of course welcome feedback, bug reports, feature suggestions,
> etc., so download the module at
> http://modules.contextgarden.net/module/detail?name=simpleslides and give
> it a whirl!

Pretty nice...
Alan

Two first, immediate impressions:

1)

\setupTitle[ afterauthor={institute\crlf}, ]

But wouldn't it be generally useful to include institute= as standard
with institutestyle=, institutecolor=, institutealign=,
beforeinstitute=, afterinstitute=

2)

\startuniqueMPgraphic{simpleslides:itemize:circle}
  fill unitcircle scaled(0.4cm)
       withcolor \MPcolor{simpleslides:itemize:color} ;
\stopuniqueMPgraphic

* Re: New module simpleslides
@ 2009-04-02  4:55   ` Aditya Mahajan
From: Aditya Mahajan @ 2009-04-02  4:55 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Wed, 1 Apr 2009, Jesse Alama wrote:

> I've been following the git repository for a while now.  Is that still
> going to be updated, or will development shift to some some other
> method?

We will continue to use git and also upload the new versions to the
garden.

Aditya

* Re: New module simpleslides
@ 2009-04-05 12:51     ` Patrick Gundlach
From: Patrick Gundlach @ 2009-04-05 12:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

Hi Thomas,
>> Can you remove the date from the filename.

> No, I'm afraid it doesn't let me change this any more. This looks
> realy strange - if I create the zip with textools, I get a filename t-
> XXXt-2009.03.31.zip, and when I upload this to the garden, it will
> append the date and the extension again! Sorry for this

I have to be sorry...

I have finally fixed the name. I will do some code changes to ensure a
more reasonable user interface.

Patrick
--
ConTeXt wiki and more: http://contextgarden.net

* Re: New module simpleslides
@ 2009-04-05 18:09     ` Mojca Miklavec
From: Mojca Miklavec @ 2009-04-05 18:09 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Wed, Apr 1, 2009 at 01:27, Mojca Miklavec wrote:
> On Wed, Apr 1, 2009 at 01:12, Mohamed Bana wrote:
>> thank you both.
>>
>> is there any chance that this will ship with the minimals, that is, so i
>> don't have to download and extract it manually?  i've never been content
>> with slides that come as part of ConTeXt, some are too fancy.
>
> No problem, but someone (Patrick?) needs to fix the weird module name first.

OK, added. At the same time I added the module to CTAN mirror as well
(they need to process it first).

Mojca