* \rightarrow missing?
@ 2009-03-30 20:51 Jesse Alama
From: Jesse Alama @ 2009-03-30 20:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

It seems that \rightarrow is missing.  The command exists, in the sense
that its use doesn't lead to an error, but it doesn't lead to anything
in the output.  Minimal example:

\starttext
$\rightarrow$
\stoptext

Jesse

--
Jesse Alama (alama@stanford.edu)

* Re: \rightarrow missing?
@ 2009-03-31  1:00 ` Aditya Mahajan
From: Aditya Mahajan @ 2009-03-31  1:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Mon, 30 Mar 2009, Jesse Alama wrote:

> It seems that \rightarrow is missing.  The command exists, in the sense
> that its use doesn't lead to an error, but it doesn't lead to anything
> in the output.  Minimal example:
>
> \starttext
> $\rightarrow$
> \stoptext

Hans,

What does the new arrow function in math-vfu.lua supposed to do?

Aditya

* Re: \rightarrow missing?
@ 2009-03-31  7:14   ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2009-03-31  7:14 UTC (permalink / raw)

Aditya Mahajan wrote:
> On Mon, 30 Mar 2009, Jesse Alama wrote:
>
>> It seems that \rightarrow is missing.  The command exists, in the sense
>> that its use doesn't lead to an error, but it doesn't lead to anything
>> in the output.  Minimal example:
>>
>> \starttext
>> $\rightarrow$
>> \stoptext
>
> Hans,
>
> What does the new arrow function in math-vfu.lua supposed to do?

it will be used instead of the macro based one (as luatex has native
support for such extenders now) but i had to wait till you fixed all the
other arrows that you added someplace

Hans

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE
                                              | www.pragma-pod.nl

* Re: \rightarrow missing?
@ 2009-04-09 20:21     ` Alan BRASLAU
From: Alan BRASLAU @ 2009-04-09 20:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

Indeed, it seems to be broken in mkiv
\rightarrow
\leftarrow

However, \leftrightarrow works.

So, currently, it is hard to typeset limits under mkiv!

Alan

On Tuesday 31 March 2009 09:14:16 Hans Hagen wrote:
> Aditya Mahajan wrote:
> > On Mon, 30 Mar 2009, Jesse Alama wrote:
> >> It seems that \rightarrow is missing.  The command exists, in the sense
> >> that its use doesn't lead to an error, but it doesn't lead to anything
> >> in the output.  Minimal example:
> >>
> >> \starttext
> >> $\rightarrow$
> >> \stoptext
> >
> > Hans,
> >
> > What does the new arrow function in math-vfu.lua supposed to do?
>
> it will be used instead of the macro based one (as luatex has native
> support for such extenders now) but i had to wait till you fixed all the
> other arrows that you added someplace
>
> Hans

* Re: \rightarrow missing?
@ 2009-04-09 22:22       ` Aditya Mahajan
From: Aditya Mahajan @ 2009-04-09 22:22 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Thu, 9 Apr 2009, Alan BRASLAU wrote:

> Indeed, it seems to be broken in mkiv
> \rightarrow
> \leftarrow

Hans, this has to do with the arrow function in math-vfu. Do you know why
this is failing?

Aditya

* Re: \rightarrow missing?
@ 2009-04-10  1:00       ` Jesse Alama
From: Jesse Alama @ 2009-04-10  1:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

I switched from MkIV to MkII today because of this gap in MkIV's math:
I need to submit a dissertation that has \rightarrow's in it.  Let's
hope that this issue is resolved soon.

Jesse

@ 2009-04-10  7:19         ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2009-04-10  7:19 UTC (permalink / raw)

Jesse Alama wrote:
> I switched from MkIV to MkII today because of this gap in MkIV's math:
> I need to submit a dissertation that has \rightarrow's in it.  Let's
> hope that this issue is resolved soon.
>
> Jesse
>
> Alan BRASLAU <alan.braslau@cea.fr> writes:
>
>> Indeed, it seems to be broken in mkiv
>> \rightarrow
>> \leftarrow
>>
>> However, \leftrightarrow works.
>>
>> So, currently, it is hard to typeset limits under mkiv!
>>
>> Alan

>>> it will be used instead of the macro based one (as luatex has native
>>> support for such extenders now) but i had to wait till you fixed all the
>>> other arrows that you added someplace

in math-vfu, patch:

--~     main.characters[unicode] = { horiz_variants = t }
     main.characters[unicode].horiz_variants = t

and

[0x02190] = 0x20, -- leftarrow
[0x02192] = 0x21, -- rightarrow
--~ [0xFE190] = 0x20, -- leftarrow
--~ [0xFE192] = 0x21, -- rightarrow

and remake the format

luatex has native support for extensible arrows and since lm lacks them
we need to construct them

Hans

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE
                                              | www.pragma-pod.nl

* Re: \rightarrow missing?
@ 2009-04-10  7:32           ` Alan BRASLAU
From: Alan BRASLAU @ 2009-04-10  7:32 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Friday 10 April 2009 09:19:44 Hans Hagen wrote:
> Jesse Alama wrote:
> > I switched from MkIV to MkII today because of this gap in MkIV's math:
> > I need to submit a dissertation that has \rightarrow's in it.  Let's
> > hope that this issue is resolved soon.
> >
> > Jesse
> >
> > Alan BRASLAU <alan.braslau@cea.fr> writes:
> >> Indeed, it seems to be broken in mkiv
> >> \rightarrow
> >> \leftarrow
> >>
> >> However, \leftrightarrow works.
> >>
> >> So, currently, it is hard to typeset limits under mkiv!
> >>
> >> Alan

> in math-vfu, patch:
>
> --~     main.characters[unicode] = { horiz_variants = t }
>      main.characters[unicode].horiz_variants = t
>
> and
>
> [0x02190] = 0x20, -- leftarrow
> [0x02192] = 0x21, -- rightarrow
> --~ [0xFE190] = 0x20, -- leftarrow
> --~ [0xFE192] = 0x21, -- rightarrow
>
> and remake the format
>
> luatex has native support for extensible arrows and since lm lacks them
> we need to construct them
>
> Hans

Works. Fantastic!

Alan

* Re: \rightarrow missing?
@ 2009-04-10 13:48           ` Aditya Mahajan
From: Aditya Mahajan @ 2009-04-10 13:48 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Fri, 10 Apr 2009, Hans Hagen wrote:

> in math-vfu, patch:
>
> --~     main.characters[unicode] = { horiz_variants = t }
>    main.characters[unicode].horiz_variants = t
>
> and
>
> [0x02190] = 0x20, -- leftarrow
> [0x02192] = 0x21, -- rightarrow
> --~ [0xFE190] = 0x20, -- leftarrow
> --~ [0xFE192] = 0x21, -- rightarrow
>
> and remake the format
>
> luatex has native support for extensible arrows and since lm lacks them we
> need to construct them

How do we "extend" these arrows? Traditionally, amstex uses \x...arrow
commands for extensible arrows, and \...arrow things are fixed.

Aditya

* Re: \rightarrow missing?
@ 2009-04-10 17:15         ` Mohamed Bana
From: Mohamed Bana @ 2009-04-10 17:15 UTC (permalink / raw)

excuse me if this has already been fixed.

    $ pdfinfo test1.pdf

    Creator:        ConTeXt - 2009.03.23 10:57
    Producer:       LuaTeX-0.36.0
    CreationDate:   Fri Apr 10 18:10:34 2009
    ModDate:        ConTeXt - 2009.03.23 10:57

\implies doesn't work

! Undefined control sequence.
<recently read> \implies

l.11 $\implies
              $
?

*I* think \Rightarrow should be exchanged for \implies, as \implies
generates a slightly longer arrow.

    $ pdfinfo test2.pdf

    Creator:        ConTeXt - 2009.03.23 10:57
    Producer:       pdfTeX-1.40.9
    CreationDate:   Fri Apr 10 18:11:36 2009
    ModDate:        Fri Apr 10 00:00:00 2009

%%% the file %%%

\starttext

$\rightarrow$

$\to$

$\leftarrow$

$\leftrightarrow$

$\implies$

$\Rightarrow$

\stoptext

Jesse Alama wrote:
> I switched from MkIV to MkII today because of this gap in MkIV's math:
> I need to submit a dissertation that has \rightarrow's in it.  Let's
> hope that this issue is resolved soon.
>
> Jesse
>
> Alan BRASLAU <alan.braslau@cea.fr> writes:
>

>> Indeed, it seems to be broken in mkiv
>> \rightarrow
>> \leftarrow
>>
>> However, \leftrightarrow works.
>>
>> So, currently, it is hard to typeset limits under mkiv!
>>
>> Alan

>>> it will be used instead of the macro based one (as luatex has native
>>> support for such extenders now) but i had to wait till you fixed all the
>>> other arrows that you added someplace
>>>
>>> Hans

[-- Attachment #2: test1.pdf --]

[-- Attachment #3: test2.pdf --]

* Re: \rightarrow missing?
@ 2009-04-10 17:19           ` Aditya Mahajan
From: Aditya Mahajan @ 2009-04-10 17:19 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Fri, 10 Apr 2009, Mohamed Bana wrote:

> excuse me if this has already been fixed.
>
>   $ pdfinfo test1.pdf
>
>   Creator:        ConTeXt - 2009.03.23 10:57
>   Producer:       LuaTeX-0.36.0
>   CreationDate:   Fri Apr 10 18:10:34 2009
>   ModDate:        ConTeXt - 2009.03.23 10:57
>

> \implies doesn't work
>                              ! Undefined control sequence.
> <recently read> \implies
>                       l.11 $\implies
>             $

Currently, \implies, \iff, and \impliedby are not mapped. We need a
cleaner model to map symbols with spaces.

>                                                       *I* think \Rightarrow
> should be exchanged for \implies, as \implies generates a slightly longer
> arrow.

\implies is usually defined as \;\Rightarrow\; so the size of the arrow
should be the same.

Aditya