* TeXLive newbie can't run Context
@ 2009-07-14 15:29 Tom
From: Tom @ 2009-07-14 15:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

[-- Attachment #1.1.1: Type: text/plain, Size: 478 bytes --]

I'm the newest of newbies and have installed of TexLive on a PC running
Vista. The post-installation tests described in Section 3.5 of the TeXLive
Guide run just fine (Tex, LaTex, pdfLaTex). No tests were included for
Context, so I failed around trying to run Texexec amd Texmfstart to no good
end. How can I determine if Context was installed properly and how do I run
Context?

Tom Benjey
717-258-9733 voice
717-243-0074 fax
Twitter: @TomBenjey

Football player w C small

[-- Attachment #1.1.2: Type: text/html, Size: 26418 bytes --]

[-- Attachment #1.2: image003.jpg --]
[-- Type: image/jpeg, Size: 2442 bytes --]

* Re: TeXLive newbie can't run Context
@ 2009-07-14 16:30 ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2009-07-14 16:30 UTC (permalink / raw)

Tom wrote:
> I'm the newest of newbies and have installed of TexLive on a PC running
> Vista. The post-installation tests described in Section 3.5 of the TeXLive
> Guide run just fine (Tex, LaTex, pdfLaTex). No tests were included for
> Context, so I failed around trying to run Texexec amd Texmfstart to no good
> end. How can I determine if Context was installed properly and how do I run
> Context?

did you install ruby?

as an alternative take the minimals from the context garden as they are
more up to date (as well as much smaller)

Hans

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE

@ 2009-07-14 17:34   ` Tom
From: Tom @ 2009-07-14 17:34 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hans,

I didn't explicitly install ruby because I thought that was done
automatically as part of the TexLive install. A ruby folder exists as
c:\Program Files\texlive\2008\texmf-dist\scripts\context\ruby and has files
in it. Where can instructions for installing ruby be found?

Thanks,

Tom Benjey
717-258-9733 voice
717-243-0074 fax
Twitter: @TomBenjey

@ 2009-07-14 17:40     ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2009-07-14 17:40 UTC (permalink / raw)

Tom wrote:
> Hans,
>
> I didn't explicitly install ruby because I thought that was done
> automatically as part of the TexLive install. A ruby folder exists as
> c:\Program Files\texlive\2008\texmf-dist\scripts\context\ruby and has files
> in it. Where can instructions for installing ruby be found?

i normally google for one (there are a couple of installers, just take a
native windows version)

Hans

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE

@ 2009-07-14 19:23       ` Tom
From: Tom @ 2009-07-14 19:23 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hans,

Please pardon these very basic questions. Do I understand correctly that
Context requires that a Ruby compiler that is not part of the TexLive
package be installed? I had not previously heard of the Ruby language so
know nothing about it. I assume that there are competing
compilers/interpreters for the language and various releases of those
compilers. Which compilers are compatible with TexLive? Does this compiler
need to be installed in any particular directory?

Thanks,

Tom Benjey
717-258-9733 voice
717-243-0074 fax
Twitter: @TomBenjey

@ 2009-07-14 20:16         ` Aditya Mahajan
From: Aditya Mahajan @ 2009-07-14 20:16 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Tue, 14 Jul 2009, Tom wrote:

> Hans,
>
> Please pardon these very basic questions. Do I understand correctly that
> Context requires that a Ruby compiler that is not part of the TexLive
> package be installed? I had not previously heard of the Ruby language so
> know nothing about it. I assume that there are competing
> compilers/interpreters for the language and various releases of those
> compilers. Which compilers are compatible with TexLive? Does this compiler
> need to be installed in any particular directory?

For windows, see http://wiki.contextgarden.net/Ruby_Installation

Aditya