* Re: long quotation without quotation marks
@ 2009-09-04 19:57 Robert Blackstone
From: Robert Blackstone @ 2009-09-04 19:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

On Fri, Sep 4, 2009, Aditya Mahajan wrote

> On Thu, 3 Sep 2009, Robert Blackstone wrote:
>
> > Hi all,
> > In a text with some fairly long quotations I want to have these
> quotations
> > without their quotation marks, not indented and set in small type.
>

> To make context ignore indenting of a signle paragraph, use
> \noindentation.
>
> delimited text does not offer control of indentation inside the
> environment, but offers sufficient hooks to enable manipulation of
> indentations.
>
> If you want paragraphs inside the quotation to be indented use the
> following (if not, replace noindentation with noindenting)
>
> \definedelimitedtext[LongQuote]
>                     [style={\switchtobodyfont[9pt]},
>                      spacebefore=medium,
>                      before=\noindentation, % also \noindenting,
>                    ]
>
> \setupindenting[big,yes]
>
> \starttext
>
> \input ward
>
> \startLongQuote
>   \input knuth \par
> \stopLongQuote
>
> \input ward
>
> \stoptext
>

> Aditya
>
> Thank you Aditya, it helped. It was: before=\noindenting that did what I
wanted.

Surprisingly for me, in the example you gave, before=\noindentation resulted
in no indentation for the first paragraph but the two others were indented.
With before=\noindenting all three paragrapghs were unindented. I really
couldn’t have guessed this.

With some slight changes your example did almost exactly what I had in mind.
(Almost, since in a text like this I would prefer some space between the
paragraphs and I understand that it cannot be adjusted locally.)
Just for the sake of completeness I add it here:

\definedelimitedtext[LongQuote]
                    [style={\switchtobodyfont[9pt]},
                     spacebefore=medium,
                     before=\noindenting
                   ]

\setupindenting[big,yes]

\starttext

\input ward
\startnarrower
\startLongQuote
  \input knuth \par
\stopLongQuote
\stopnarrower
\input ward

\stoptext

I have two related questions for the list:
a. Would it be useful to add this information to the ConTeXt wiki page on
Quotes?

b. Is there a complete and up to date list of commands for ConTeXt, and what
they are supposed to do, to be found somewhere? (I find things like the
existence of \noindent, \noindenting and \noindentation, all apparently
giving slightly different results, nice for the variety it offers but, for a
beginner, quite confusing  as well.)

Kind regards,

Robert Blackstone

* Re: long quotation without quotation marks
@ 2009-09-04 20:15 ` Aditya Mahajan
From: Aditya Mahajan @ 2009-09-04 20:15 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Fri, 4 Sep 2009, Robert Blackstone wrote:

> On Fri, Sep 4, 2009, Aditya Mahajan wrote
>

>> On Thu, 3 Sep 2009, Robert Blackstone wrote:
>>
>>> Hi all,
>>> In a text with some fairly long quotations I want to have these
>> quotations
>>> without their quotation marks, not indented and set in small type.
>>

>> To make context ignore indenting of a signle paragraph, use
>> \noindentation.
>>
>> delimited text does not offer control of indentation inside the
>> environment, but offers sufficient hooks to enable manipulation of
>> indentations.
>>
>> If you want paragraphs inside the quotation to be indented use the
>> following (if not, replace noindentation with noindenting)
>>
>> \definedelimitedtext[LongQuote]
>>                     [style={\switchtobodyfont[9pt]},
>>                      spacebefore=medium,
>>                      before=\noindentation, % also \noindenting,
>>                    ]
>>
>> \setupindenting[big,yes]
>>
>> \starttext
>>
>> \input ward
>>
>> \startLongQuote
>>   \input knuth \par
>> \stopLongQuote
>>
>> \input ward
>>
>> \stoptext
>>

>> Aditya
>>
>> Thank you Aditya, it helped. It was: before=\noindenting that did what I
> wanted.
>
> Surprisingly for me, in the example you gave, before=\noindentation resulted
> in no indentation for the first paragraph but the two others were indented.
> With before=\noindenting all three paragrapghs were unindented. I really
> couldn’t have guessed this.

I agree. The naming of the macros isn't the best in this case. The same
result could have been achieved by

\setupindenting[no]

which is slightly easier to understand.

> With some slight changes your example did almost exactly what I had in mind.
> (Almost, since in a text like this I would prefer some space between the
> paragraphs and I understand that it cannot be adjusted locally.)

I wasn't sure whether you wanted all paragraphs to be not be indented or
not, so gave both options.

> I have two related questions for the list:
> a. Would it be useful to add this information to the ConTeXt wiki page on
> Quotes?

Please do add it to the wiki. Searching the wiki is easier than searching
the mailing list.

> b. Is there a complete and up to date list of commands for ConTeXt, and what
> they are supposed to do, to be found somewhere?

No. The manuals contain most of the information, but they are not
complete. The only *complete* source of information is the source code
(which is well documented). But, once you get the hang of ConTeXt's naming
conventions, you can almost guess what the right key combination should
be.

> (I find things like the
> existence of \noindent, \noindenting and \noindentation, all apparently
> giving slightly different results, nice for the variety it offers but, for a
> beginner, quite confusing  as well.)

See
http://www.tug.org/TUGboat/Articles/tb29-2/tb92mahajan.pdf

Aditya

* Re: long quotation without quotation marks
@ 2009-09-03 20:12 ` Aditya Mahajan
From: Aditya Mahajan @ 2009-09-03 20:12 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Thu, 3 Sep 2009, Robert Blackstone wrote:

> Hi all,
> In a text with some fairly long quotations I want to have these quotations
> without their quotation marks, not indented and set in small type.
> Thanks to the ConTeXt wiki I found I could fulfill two of the three
> requirements by using
>
> \setupdelimitedtext[blockquote][style={\setupbodyfont[9pt]},

use \switchtobodyfont rather than setupbodyfont.

@ 2009-09-03 19:41 Robert Blackstone
From: Robert Blackstone @ 2009-09-03 19:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context