* bibmod: forcing a key for alphabetical sorting
@ 2009-09-14 19:42 Sanjoy Mahajan
From: Sanjoy Mahajan @ 2009-09-14 19:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

I'm arranging the bibliography of my math textbook alphabetial by author
and it mostly works, but a couple entries are tricky.  For example:

@Book{Census:1992,
  author = 	 {US Bureau of the Census},
  title = 	 {Statistical Abstracts of the United States: 1992},
  publisher = 	 {Government Printing Office},
  year = 	 1992,
  address = 	 {Washington, DC},
  edition = 	 {112th}}

Using the settings
  \setupbibtex[database=../project, sort=author]
  \setuppublications[alternative=num, sorttype=bbl]
it turns into this entry in the .bbl file:

  \startpublication[k=Census:1992,t=book,
  a={{of~the Census}},y=1992,
  n=7,s=otC92]
  \author[]{US~Bureau}[U.~B.]{of~the}{Census}
  \pubyear{1992}
  \title{Statistical Abstracts of the United States: 1992}
  \city{Washington, DC}
  \pubname{Government Printing Office}
  \edition{112th}
  \stoppublication

I tried inserting a key={US Census} line in the bibtex entry, but the
key seems to be ignored if there's already an author key (based on a
moderately long stare at the cont-au.bst file).

How could I trick bibtex into believing that the author's last name is
"US", so that the entry would be placed with the "U" entries?

-Sanjoy

* Re: bibmod: forcing a key for alphabetical sorting
@ 2009-09-14 21:16 ` Aditya Mahajan
From: Aditya Mahajan @ 2009-09-14 21:16 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Mon, 14 Sep 2009, Sanjoy Mahajan wrote:

> I'm arranging the bibliography of my math textbook alphabetial by author
> and it mostly works, but a couple entries are tricky.  For example:
>
> @Book{Census:1992,
>  author = 	 {US Bureau of the Census},
>  title = 	 {Statistical Abstracts of the United States: 1992},
>  publisher = 	 {Government Printing Office},
>  year = 	 1992,
>  address = 	 {Washington, DC},
>  edition = 	 {112th}}
>
> Using the settings
>  \setupbibtex[database=../project, sort=author]
>  \setuppublications[alternative=num, sorttype=bbl]
> it turns into this entry in the .bbl file:
>
>  \startpublication[k=Census:1992,t=book,
>  a={{of~the Census}},y=1992,
>  n=7,s=otC92]
>  \author[]{US~Bureau}[U.~B.]{of~the}{Census}
>  \pubyear{1992}
>  \title{Statistical Abstracts of the United States: 1992}
>  \city{Washington, DC}
>  \pubname{Government Printing Office}
>  \edition{112th}
>  \stoppublication
>
> I tried inserting a key={US Census} line in the bibtex entry, but the
> key seems to be ignored if there's already an author key (based on a
> moderately long stare at the cont-au.bst file).
>
> How could I trick bibtex into believing that the author's last name is
> "US", so that the entry would be placed with the "U" entries?

Try author={{US Bureau of the Census}}
or author={U{S Bureau of the Census}}

Aditya

* Re: bibmod: forcing a key for alphabetical sorting
@ 2009-09-15  0:24   ` Sanjoy Mahajan
From: Sanjoy Mahajan @ 2009-09-15  0:24 UTC (permalink / raw)

Aditya Mahajan <adityam@umich.edu> wrote:

> Try author={{US Bureau of the Census}}

Sly.  It worked perfectly.  Thanks!

I guess it's a generic method, not just for ConTeXt, but if someone
thinks of a good spot on the wiki for it, let me know and I'll wikify.

-Sanjoy

`Until lions have their historians, tales of the hunt shall always
 glorify the hunters.'  --African Proverb

* Re: bibmod: forcing a key for alphabetical sorting
@ 2009-09-15  7:25     ` luigi scarso
From: luigi scarso @ 2009-09-15  7:25 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Tue, Sep 15, 2009 at 2:24 AM, Sanjoy Mahajan <sanjoy@mit.edu> wrote:
> Aditya Mahajan <adityam@umich.edu> wrote:
>
>> Try author={{US Bureau of the Census}}
>
> Sly.  It worked perfectly.  Thanks!
>
> I guess it's a generic method, not just for ConTeXt, but if someone
> thinks of a good spot on the wiki for it, let me know and I'll wikify.

+1

--
luigi

* Re: bibmod: forcing a key for alphabetical sorting
@ 2009-09-15 19:03     ` Aditya Mahajan
From: Aditya Mahajan @ 2009-09-15 19:03 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Mon, 14 Sep 2009, Sanjoy Mahajan wrote:

> Aditya Mahajan <adityam@umich.edu> wrote:
>
>> Try author={{US Bureau of the Census}}
>
> Sly.  It worked perfectly.  Thanks!
>
> I guess it's a generic method, not just for ConTeXt, but if someone
> thinks of a good spot on the wiki for it, let me know and I'll wikify.

Yes, this is a generic method. Perhaps a better way would be to use the
suggestion in
http://www.tex.ac.uk/cgi-bin/texfaq2html?label=bibprefixsort

In any case, I think that it is a good idea to add such things to the
wiki.

Aditya