* unicode integral sign
@ 2010-05-29  7:45 Yury G. Kudryashov
From: Yury G. Kudryashov @ 2010-05-29  7:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

Hi!

I try the following:

\starttext
$∫_a^b \int_a^b$
\stoptext

In the first case, the integral sign is below the text. Should I use another
font, or is it possible to fix with the default one?

* Re: unicode integral sign
@ 2010-05-29  9:58 ` Taco Hoekwater
From: Taco Hoekwater @ 2010-05-29  9:58 UTC (permalink / raw)

Yury G. Kudryashov wrote:
> Hi!
>
> I try the following:
>
> \starttext
> $∫_a^b \int_a^b$
> \stoptext
>
> In the first case, the integral sign is below the text. Should I use another
> font, or is it possible to fix with the default one?

It is possible to fix this. The reason for the odd placement is that the
'math code' of ∫ is not set up properly (and it probably isn't either
for some other bare Unicode characters). To fix the hard way, add this
at the top of your input file:

\Umathcode `∫ = 1 0 `∫ % 1 == \mathop, 0=fam0, ∫=glyph

Eventually, this definition will be added to char-def.lua and then
everything will work out of the box.

Best wishes,
Taco

* Re: unicode integral sign
@ 2010-05-29 15:21   ` Yury G. Kudryashov
From: Yury G. Kudryashov @ 2010-05-29 15:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

Taco Hoekwater wrote:

> Yury G. Kudryashov wrote:
>> Hi!
>>
>> I try the following:
>>
>> \starttext
>> $∫_a^b \int_a^b$
>> \stoptext
>>
>> In the first case, the integral sign is below the text. Should I use
>> another font, or is it possible to fix with the default one?
>
> It is possible to fix this. The reason for the odd placement is that the
> 'math code' of ∫ is not set up properly (and it probably isn't either
> for some other bare Unicode characters). To fix the hard way, add this
> at the top of your input file:
>
> \Umathcode `∫ = 1 0 `∫ % 1 == \mathop, 0=fam0, ∫=glyph
Is there any documentation on char-def.lua file format? If I'll understand
it, I'll send a patch for the symbols I use.

Currently I have no idea why the following strings in char-def don't work.

[0x222B]={
  adobename="integral",
  category="sm",
  cjkwd="a",
  description="INTEGRAL",
  direction="on",
  linebreak="ai",
  mathspec={
    { class="nothing", name="intop" },
    { class="limop"  , name="int"   },
  },
  unicodeslot=0x222B,
 },

Replacing mathspec=... with mathclass="limop", mathname="int" seems to work
(copied from n-ary summation).

BTW, in both solution ∫_a acts like \int\limits_a, not \int_a.

* Re: unicode integral sign
@ 2010-05-29 17:32     ` Aditya Mahajan
From: Aditya Mahajan @ 2010-05-29 17:32 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Sat, 29 May 2010, Yury G. Kudryashov wrote:

> Taco Hoekwater wrote:
>
>> Yury G. Kudryashov wrote:
>>> Hi!
>>>
>>> I try the following:
>>>
>>> \starttext
>>> $∫_a^b \int_a^b$
>>> \stoptext
>>>
>>> In the first case, the integral sign is below the text. Should I use
>>> another font, or is it possible to fix with the default one?
>>
>> It is possible to fix this. The reason for the odd placement is that the
>> 'math code' of ∫ is not set up properly (and it probably isn't either
>> for some other bare Unicode characters). To fix the hard way, add this
>> at the top of your input file:
>>
>> \Umathcode `∫ = 1 0 `∫ % 1 == \mathop, 0=fam0, ∫=glyph
> Is there any documentation on char-def.lua file format? If I'll understand
> it, I'll send a patch for the symbols I use.

Not a complete documentation, but some explanation is here

https://www.tug.org/members/TUGboat/tb30-2/tb95mahajan-cmath.pdf

> Currently I have no idea why the following strings in char-def don't work.
>
> [0x222B]={
>  adobename="integral",
>  category="sm",
>  cjkwd="a",
>  description="INTEGRAL",
>  direction="on",
>  linebreak="ai",
>  mathspec={
>    { class="nothing", name="intop" },
>    { class="limop"  , name="int"   },
>  },
>  unicodeslot=0x222B,
> },
>
> Replacing mathspec=... with mathclass="limop", mathname="int" seems to work
> (copied from n-ary summation).
>
> BTW, in both solution ∫_a acts like \int\limits_a, not \int_a.

In plain TeX, this is taken care by

\mathchardef\intop="1352 \def\int{\intop\nolimits}

Can I do the same in luatex without active characters?

\Umathchardef\INTOP=1 0 `∫
\def\INT{\INTOP\intlimits}

\catcode`∫=\active
\let ∫=\INT

\starttext
$∫_a^b$

$\displaystyle ∫_a^b$
\stoptext

Aditya

* Re: unicode integral sign
@ 2010-05-29 18:57       ` Taco Hoekwater
From: Taco Hoekwater @ 2010-05-29 18:57 UTC (permalink / raw)

Aditya Mahajan wrote:
> On Sat, 29 May 2010, Yury G. Kudryashov wrote:
>
>> Taco Hoekwater wrote:

>>> It is possible to fix this. The reason for the odd placement is that the
>>> 'math code' of ∫ is not set up properly (and it probably isn't either
>>> for some other bare Unicode characters). To fix the hard way, add this
>>> at the top of your input file:
>>>
>>> \Umathcode `∫ = 1 0 `∫ % 1 == \mathop, 0=fam0, ∫=glyph
>> Is there any documentation on char-def.lua file format? If I'll
>> understand it, I'll send a patch for the symbols I use.
>
> Not a complete documentation, but some explanation is here
>
> https://www.tug.org/members/TUGboat/tb30-2/tb95mahajan-cmath.pdf
>
>> Currently I have no idea why the following strings in char-def don't
>> work.
>>
>> [0x222B]={
>>  adobename="integral",
>>  category="sm",
>>  cjkwd="a",
>>  description="INTEGRAL",
>>  direction="on",
>>  linebreak="ai",
>>  mathspec={
>>    { class="nothing", name="intop" },
>>    { class="limop"  , name="int"   },
>>  },
>>  unicodeslot=0x222B,
>> },
>>
>> Replacing mathspec=... with mathclass="limop", mathname="int" seems to
>> work (copied from n-ary summation).
>>
>> BTW, in both solution ∫_a acts like \int\limits_a, not \int_a.
>
> In plain TeX, this is taken care by
>
> \mathchardef\intop="1352 \def\int{\intop\nolimits}
>
> Can I do the same in luatex without active characters?

No, but it is a useful extension to consider. There are internally
three types of large operators, for 'limits', 'nolimits' and
'displaylimits' and this bothers me a bit. We can't reasonably
extend the old primitives, but \Umathcharcode c.s. could be made
to accept extra values '9' .. '11' for those three types without
any compatibility problems.  I'll add to the tracker.

Best wishes,
Taco

* Re: unicode integral sign
@ 2010-05-29 19:05         ` Aditya Mahajan