* Insert page number into multi-page PDF
@ 2010-09-06 21:11 Vnpenguin
From: Vnpenguin @ 2010-09-06 21:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ConTeXt list

Hi,
I have a multi-page PDF without page number . Is there simple way to
insert page number by using ConTeXt ?
I'm thinking about:
  * Setup ConTeXt with zero or small margins,
  * Setup page number (possibility to start from some value, not
necessary from 1)
  * Include each page of PDF as picture
  * Build PDF with ConTeXt

but I can not found an example for that.

Any ideas for help?

Thanks in advance,

Regards

* Re: Insert page number into multi-page PDF
@ 2010-09-06 22:00 ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2010-09-06 22:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 6-9-2010 11:11, Vnpenguin wrote:
> Hi,
> I have a multi-page PDF without page number . Is there simple way to
> insert page number by using ConTeXt ?
> I'm thinking about:
>    * Setup ConTeXt with zero or small margins,
>    * Setup page number (possibility to start from some value, not
> necessary from 1)
>    * Include each page of PDF as picture
>    * Build PDF with ConTeXt
>
> but I can not found an example for that.
>
> Any ideas for help?

\setuplayout[page]

\copypages[yourfile.pdf][n=10]

you can put stuff on top using the background mechanisms

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE

@ 2010-09-06 22:11 ` Aditya Mahajan
From: Aditya Mahajan @ 2010-09-06 22:11 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Mon, 6 Sep 2010, Vnpenguin wrote:

> Hi,
> I have a multi-page PDF without page number . Is there simple way to
> insert page number by using ConTeXt ?
> I'm thinking about:
>  * Setup ConTeXt with zero or small margins,
>  * Setup page number (possibility to start from some value, not
> necessary from 1)
>  * Include each page of PDF as picture
>  * Build PDF with ConTeXt
>
> but I can not found an example for that.
>
> Any ideas for help?

Using layers will be an easier option.

You can abuse the cut-n-paste module
(http://github.com/adityam/cut-n-paste) to add pagenumbers in an easy way.

\definenumber[whatever]

\unexpanded\def\PAGENUMBER%
   {\incrementnumber[whatever]%
    \getnumber[whatever]}

\usemodule[cut-n-paste]

\starttext
\processcutNpaste
   [%option=test,
    text={Page~\PAGENUMBER},
    location={(OverlayWidth/2, 1cm)},
    name=file]
\stoptext

Here name=<filename> that you want to include.

The text is placed by metapost, so the location parameter must be some
dimension that metapost understands, and the lowerleft corner is origin.
Uncomment option=test to get a grid to measure stuff.

If you have to include many pdf files, you can do

\defincutNpaste[PageNumber][...] %options

\processPageNumber[name=file1]
\processPageNumber[name=file2]

etc.

Aditya

* Re: Insert page number into multi-page PDF
@ 2010-09-07 16:40   ` Vnpenguin
From: Vnpenguin @ 2010-09-07 16:40 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Tue, Sep 7, 2010 at 00:00, Hans Hagen <pragma@wxs.nl> wrote:

> \setuplayout[page]
>
> \copypages[yourfile.pdf][n=10]
>
> you can put stuff on top using the background mechanisms

Could you give me an example about background mechanism ?

Thanks

* Re: Insert page number into multi-page PDF
@ 2010-09-07 16:52     ` Wolfgang Schuster
From: Wolfgang Schuster @ 2010-09-07 16:52 UTC (permalink / raw)

Am 07.09.2010 um 18:40 schrieb Vnpenguin:

> On Tue, Sep 7, 2010 at 00:00, Hans Hagen <pragma@wxs.nl> wrote:
>>
>> \setuplayout[page]
>>
>> \copypages[yourfile.pdf][n=10]
>>
>> you can put stuff on top using the background mechanisms
>
> Could you give me an example about background mechanism ?

\defineoverlay
  [pagenumber]
  [\vbox to \paperheight
     {\blank[force,3cm]
      \midaligned{\pagenumber\ – \lastpagenumber}
      \vfill}]

\setupbackgrounds[page][background={foreground,pagenumber}]

\starttext
\stoptext

Wolfgang

* Re: Insert page number into multi-page PDF
@ 2010-09-07 17:49       ` Vnpenguin
From: Vnpenguin @ 2010-09-07 17:49 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Tue, Sep 7, 2010 at 18:52, Wolfgang Schuster
<schuster.wolfgang@googlemail.com> wrote:

> Am 07.09.2010 um 18:40 schrieb Vnpenguin:
>
>> On Tue, Sep 7, 2010 at 00:00, Hans Hagen <pragma@wxs.nl> wrote:
>>>
>>> \setuplayout[page]
>>>
>>> \copypages[yourfile.pdf][n=10]
>>>
>>> you can put stuff on top using the background mechanisms
>>
>> Could you give me an example about background mechanism ?
>

> \defineoverlay
>  [pagenumber]
>  [\vbox to \paperheight
>     {\blank[force,3cm]
>      \midaligned{\pagenumber\ – \lastpagenumber}
>      \vfill}]
>
> \setupbackgrounds[page][background={foreground,pagenumber}]
>
> \starttext
> \stoptext
>
> Wolfgang

Excellent, it works well.