From: Aditya Mahajan <adityam@umich.edu>
Subject: Re: minimal example of some problems
Date: Sat, 3 Apr 2010 23:37:50 -0400 (EDT)	[thread overview]

On Sat, 3 Apr 2010, Michael Saunders wrote:

>>> In some other venue?
>>
>> In a separate thread, with a minimal example, that one can copy-paste and
>> see the error. Trying to guess what is wrong is difficult.
>
> I tried that several times and got no response.  Since you insist on
> seeing lots of lorem ipsum, the following example:

This example is not minimal. You are mixing four things
together, and still not giving complete information. Ideally you should
have one **minimal** example for each problem. See below for an
example.

> is meant to illustrate four problems:
>
> 1. Leftward protrusion doesn't work.
> 2. I don't think hz is working in footnotes.

> The font I'm using is Adobe Garamond Premiere Pro.  If you think there
> might be a problem with the typescript, I can show you that too.

These two are related to font. Either show that something is wrong with
default typescripts (lmodern, times, palatino, etc) else it means that
tosmething is wrong with your typescript. But first you have to narrow
down the problem

> 3. Observe footnote 1 (the only one).  It is breaking between p.1 and
> p.2.  I want to forbid that.

I don't know how to prevent this. But again, this has nothing to do with
columns or fonts.

> 4. Notice the overprinting near the top of p.2 c.1.  That is a
> marginal note that should go into the right margin.

Here is a minimal example (no page setup, font setup, or styles needed to
show the problem)

\starttext
\startcolumns

\input knuth
\input tufte
\column
\input tufte
\inmargin{This is in wrong margin}
\input knuth
\stopcolumns
\stoptext

The marin note in 2nd column is displayed in the 1st column. This is
artifact of the way in which TeX constructs columns: first creating a long
and narrow page and then splitting it into two. I don't know at what stage
of the OTR are margin notes inserted, and if there is a workaround. Maybe
others can help.

>>> When I try:
>>>
>>> \raisebox{1ex}{--}
>>>
>>> Context stops on the error:
>>>>
>>> "A <box> was supposed to be here
>>>
>>> \raisebox{1ex}{
>>> 		--}"
>>
>> Provide a box :-) \raisebox{1ex}{\hbox{--}} (untested)

\raisebox{1em}\hbox{--}

Aditya