* Re: texexec/context error messages [MkIV] [vim]
@ 2010-05-23 17:24 ` Aditya Mahajan
From: Aditya Mahajan @ 2010-05-23 17:24 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Sun, 23 May 2010, Rogutės Sparnuotos wrote:

> And, the initial reason for these questions: has anyone figured out an
> appropriate 'errorformat' for the 'vim' editor, for use with MkIV? The one
> at http://www.vim.org/scripts/script.php?script_id=1925 seems to be
> working with MkII only...

Hans, does LuaTeX support -file-line-error flag like pdftex? If so, how do
I pass that (context --passon=-file-line-error) does not seem to work.

Rogutes, if you want to match

    system          : module * not found

Add

       \%+Asystem\ %#:\ module\ %m\ not\ found,

to the error format (it will not jump to the line containing
\usemodule[...] because that information is not available in the log
file).

Aditya

* texexec/context error messages [MkIV] [vim]
@ 2010-05-23 18:07 Rogutės Sparnuotos
From: Rogutės Sparnuotos @ 2010-05-23 18:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

G'day,

Shouldn't ConTeXt be stopping on
  "system          : module simplefonts not found"

instead of stopping on problems appearing only later, e.g.
  ! Undefined control sequence.
  <recently read> \setmainfont

Shouldn't error messages like the first one be more noticeable?

Why doesn't ConTeXt set an exit code when running in --batchmode or
--nonstopmode?

--
--  Rogutės Sparnuotos

* Re: texexec/context error messages [MkIV]
@ 2010-05-25  0:00   ` Rogutės Sparnuotos
From: Rogutės Sparnuotos @ 2010-05-25  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

Aditya Mahajan (2010-05-23 13:24):
> On Sun, 23 May 2010, Rogutės Sparnuotos wrote:
>
> >And, the initial reason for these questions: has anyone figured out an
> >appropriate 'errorformat' for the 'vim' editor, for use with MkIV? The one
> >at http://www.vim.org/scripts/script.php?script_id=1925 seems to be
> >working with MkII only...
>
> Hans, does LuaTeX support -file-line-error flag like pdftex? If so,
> how do I pass that (context --passon=-file-line-error) does not seem
> to work.
>
> Rogutes, if you want to match
>
>    system          : module * not found
>
> Add
>
>       \%+Asystem\ %#:\ module\ %m\ not\ found,
>
> to the error format (it will not jump to the line containing
> \usemodule[...] because that information is not available in the log
> file).

Thanks, Aditya. I hope a 'file-line-error'-like option will turn up
eventually :)

One more question regarding error reporting: why are invalid parameters to
commands _silently_ ignored? 'texexec --verbose' outputs the same, be it
run with \setupheads[align=abc123,heads=lotsoff]
or with  \setupheads[align=center]

Since there is no documentation describing the numerous parameters of
most of the commands, I think it would be really useful to support the
trial and error method by showing as much parsing errors as possible...

--
--  Rogutės Sparnuotos

* Re: texexec/context error messages [MkIV]
@ 2010-05-25  6:40     ` Taco Hoekwater
From: Taco Hoekwater @ 2010-05-25  6:40 UTC (permalink / raw)

Rogutės Sparnuotos wrote:

> One more question regarding error reporting: why are invalid parameters to
> commands _silently_ ignored?

For speed reasons. Checking the values would be a pretty slow process,
so you definitely don't want elaborate tests on a document that is known
to be ok.

There has been some thought about a special version of context that is
slow but does all these tests. Afaik, this has never materialized, I
suspect mainly because it is not always that easy to decide what is
valid and what is not (some commands delegate key-value parsing to
other commands, other commands are themselves generated on the fly).

For MkIV, there has been some work done by Luigi on figuring out what
commands are actually present, perhaps this can produce a basis to
look at a 'checked' context version again in the future.

Best wishes,
Taco