* A rose by any other name ....
@ 2010-09-15 22:34 Aditya Mahajan
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: Aditya Mahajan @ 2010-09-15 22:34 UTC (permalink / raw)

Is it possible to change the name of the font as it appears in the pdf
file?

More specifically, I am using Termes font, but I want that the document
properties to show the name of the font as Times. Is that possible? Is
doing so a violation of the font license?

Aditya

* Re: A rose by any other name ....
@ 2010-09-16 11:05 ` Peter Rolf
From: Peter Rolf @ 2010-09-16 11:05 UTC (permalink / raw)

Am 16.09.2010 00:34, schrieb Aditya Mahajan:
> Hi,
>
> Is it possible to change the name of the font as it appears in the pdf
> file?
>
> More specifically, I am using Termes font, but I want that the document
> properties to show the name of the font as Times. Is that possible? Is
> doing so a violation of the font license?

Afaik the name is directly taken from the font (part of its resources).
Should be no problem to change this attribute with fontforge.

See

http://www.gust.org.pl/projects/e-foundry/tex-gyre#Licensing

for the licensing conditions. At first glance there should be no
problems (but better read the whole license).

[..]
"The freedoms granted by GFL include the free use of the fonts for
whatever purpose you wish. You can also take the fonts and modify them
for your own use or redistribution, but to avoid confusion in such a
case you are requested to change the name(s) of the font(s) and
comprising files—please follow the guidance of the license."

Best wishes,  Peter

* Re: A rose by any other name ....
@ 2010-09-16 11:12 ` Patrick Gundlach
From: Patrick Gundlach @ 2010-09-16 11:12 UTC (permalink / raw)

> Is it possible to change the name of the font as it appears in the pdf file?
>
> More specifically, I am using Termes font, but I want that the document properties to show the name of the font as Times. Is that possible? Is doing so a violation of the font license?

It sounds like a trademark infringement to me. I would be surprised if times is not a ®.

Patrick

* Re: A rose by any other name ....
@ 2010-09-16 13:36   ` Peter Rolf
From: Peter Rolf @ 2010-09-16 13:36 UTC (permalink / raw)

Am 16.09.2010 13:12, schrieb Patrick Gundlach:

>> Is it possible to change the name of the font as it appears in the pdf file?
>>
>> More specifically, I am using Termes font, but I want that the document properties to show the name of the font as Times. Is that possible? Is doing so a violation of the font license?
>
> It sounds like a trademark infringement to me. I would be surprised if times is not a ®.

sadly true...

http://www.linotype.com/259/times.html

also Times® in this document
http://image.linotype.com/samples/hirespdf/13450.pdf

Better try to convince the customer that a rose is a rose... ;-)

* Re: A rose by any other name ....
@ 2010-09-16 20:13     ` Aditya Mahajan
From: Aditya Mahajan @ 2010-09-16 20:13 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Thu, 16 Sep 2010, Peter Rolf wrote:

> Am 16.09.2010 13:12, schrieb Patrick Gundlach:
>>

>>> Is it possible to change the name of the font as it appears in the pdf file?
>>>
>>> More specifically, I am using Termes font, but I want that the document properties to show the name of the font as Times. Is that possible? Is doing so a violation of the font license?
>>
>> It sounds like a trademark infringement to me. I would be surprised if times is not a ®.
>>
> sadly true...

Sigh...Thanks for the clarification.

> Better try to convince the customer that a rose is a rose... ;-)

I am still interested in changing the name of the font...not to Times but
to some gibberish (like the characters that pdftex adds before Type1 font
names). Then, I can blame the font naming on a software limitation ;)

Aditya

* Re: A rose by any other name ....
@ 2010-09-17  8:08       ` Peter Rolf
From: Peter Rolf @ 2010-09-17  8:08 UTC (permalink / raw)

Am 16.09.2010 22:13, schrieb Aditya Mahajan:

>>> It sounds like a trademark infringement to me. I would be surprised
>>> if times is not a ®.
>>>
>> sadly true...
>
> Sigh...Thanks for the clarification.
>
>> Better try to convince the customer that a rose is a rose... ;-)
>
> I am still interested in changing the name of the font...not to Times
> but to some gibberish (like the characters that pdftex adds before Type1
> font names). Then, I can blame the font naming on a software limitation ;)

:-D

(untested)

http://fontforge.sourceforge.net/fontinfo.html

> Aditya

* Re: A rose by any other name ....
@ 2010-09-18 11:33       ` Khaled Hosny
From: Khaled Hosny @ 2010-09-18 11:33 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Thu, Sep 16, 2010 at 04:13:43PM -0400, Aditya Mahajan wrote:

> >>It sounds like a trademark infringement to me. I would be surprised if times is not a ®.
> >>
> >sadly true...
>
> Sigh...Thanks for the clarification.
>
> >Better try to convince the customer that a rose is a rose... ;-)
>
> I am still interested in changing the name of the font...not to
> Times but to some gibberish (like the characters that pdftex adds
> before Type1 font names). Then, I can blame the font naming on a
> software limitation ;)

Output an uncompressed PDF, open in a text editor, search for the font
name and replace it, but you will need to fix xref after that (no idea
what xref is, but pdclean from mupdf fixs it)

--
 Khaled Hosny
 Free font developer

* Re: A rose by any other name ....
@ 2010-09-18 12:07         ` luigi scarso
From: luigi scarso @ 2010-09-18 12:07 UTC (permalink / raw)

http://wiki.contextgarden.net/images/a/a7/Eurotex06he.pdf

--
luigi

* Re: A rose by any other name ....
@ 2010-09-18 12:16           ` Khaled Hosny
From: Khaled Hosny @ 2010-09-18 12:16 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Sat, Sep 18, 2010 at 02:07:07PM +0200, luigi scarso wrote:
> On Sat, Sep 18, 2010 at 1:33 PM, Khaled Hosny <khaledhosny@eglug.org> wrote:
> > Output an uncompressed PDF, open in a text editor, search for the font
> > name and replace it, but you will need to fix xref after that (no idea
> > what xref is,
>
> http://wiki.contextgarden.net/images/a/a7/Eurotex06he.pdf

Thanks Luigi, very informative. Should have been called PDF for dummies
or something :)

--
 Khaled Hosny
 Free font developer

* Re: A rose by any other name ....
@ 2010-09-20 11:30             ` Arthur Reutenauer
From: Arthur Reutenauer @ 2010-09-20 11:30 UTC (permalink / raw)

>> http://wiki.contextgarden.net/images/a/a7/Eurotex06he.pdf
>
> Thanks Luigi, very informative. Should have been called PDF for dummies
> or something :)

  Yes, I remember Hartmut saying that he didn't like the name :-)
Probably he, as LuaTeX developer, saw this as explaining how to “make
better PDF” rather than simply explaining the internals to the layman.

  He had a printed copy of the PDF reference that he showed after the
talk, and for some reason I ended up carrying it around during the whole
evening :-)

	Arthur

* Re: A rose by any other name ....
@ 2010-09-23 10:56 ` Wolfgang Schuster
From: Wolfgang Schuster @ 2010-09-23 10:56 UTC (permalink / raw)

Am 16.09.2010 um 00:34 schrieb Aditya Mahajan:

> Hi,
>
> Is it possible to change the name of the font as it appears in the pdf file?
>
> More specifically, I am using Termes font, but I want that the document properties to show the name of the font as Times. Is that possible? Is doing so a violation of the font license?

Taco showed at the conference a way to modify the values of a font and i think you can use this.

A easier solution is to use the real Times fonts instead of the TeX Gyre version, Times New Roman is available as part of the basic web fonts and AFAIR many linux distros provide a mechanism to download them.

Wolfgang

* Re: A rose by any other name ....
@ 2010-09-23 14:51   ` Aditya Mahajan
From: Aditya Mahajan @ 2010-09-23 14:51 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Thu, 23 Sep 2010, Wolfgang Schuster wrote:

> Am 16.09.2010 um 00:34 schrieb Aditya Mahajan:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> Is it possible to change the name of the font as it appears in the pdf file?
>>
>> More specifically, I am using Termes font, but I want that the document properties to show the name of the font as Times. Is that possible? Is doing so a violation of the font license?
>
> Taco showed at the conference a way to modify the values of a font and i think you can use this.

Are the reference slides or code available. I could not find any in the
context meeting slides.

> A easier solution is to use the real Times fonts instead of the TeX Gyre
> version, Times New Roman is available as part of the basic web fonts and
> AFAIR many linux distros provide a mechanism to download them.

Of course. I don't know why this did not occur to me.

(but ... TNR is not "real Times" but no one cares for that)

Aditya

* Re: A rose by any other name ....
@ 2010-09-23 16:15     ` Khaled Hosny
From: Khaled Hosny @ 2010-09-23 16:15 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Thu, Sep 23, 2010 at 10:51:58AM -0400, Aditya Mahajan wrote:
> On Thu, 23 Sep 2010, Wolfgang Schuster wrote:
>

> >Am 16.09.2010 um 00:34 schrieb Aditya Mahajan:
> >
> >>Hi,
> >>
> >>Is it possible to change the name of the font as it appears in the pdf file?
> >>
> >>More specifically, I am using Termes font, but I want that the document properties to show the name of the font as Times. Is that possible? Is doing so a violation of the font license?
> >
> >Taco showed at the conference a way to modify the values of a font and i think you can use this.
>
> Are the reference slides or code available. I could not find any in
> the context meeting slides.
>
> >A easier solution is to use the real Times fonts instead of the
> >TeX Gyre version, Times New Roman is available as part of the
> >basic web fonts and AFAIR many linux distros provide a mechanism
> >to download them.
>
> Of course. I don't know why this did not occur to me.
>
> (but ... TNR is not "real Times" but no one cares for that)

Actually it is the real times, but Linotype registered the name Times
Roman in USA before Monotype (the designers of the font) and Monotype
had to use Times New Roman instead.

Regards,
 Khaled

--
 Khaled Hosny
 Free font developer

* Re: A rose by any other name ....
@ 2010-09-23 16:22     ` William Adams
From: William Adams @ 2010-09-23 16:22 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Sep 23, 2010, at 10:51 AM, Aditya Mahajan wrote:

> (but ... TNR is not "real Times" but no one cares for that)

Actually, it is the original.

See Walter Tracy's wonderful book _Letters of Credit_ for one view of the details, and a follow-up article published in the APHA journal for the balance of the story.

William

--
William Adams
senior graphic designer

* Re: A rose by any other name ....
@ 2010-09-23 16:26       ` Aditya Mahajan
From: Aditya Mahajan @ 2010-09-23 16:26 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Thu, 23 Sep 2010, William Adams wrote:

> On Sep 23, 2010, at 10:51 AM, Aditya Mahajan wrote:
>
>> (but ... TNR is not "real Times" but no one cares for that)
>
> Actually, it is the original.
>
> See Walter Tracy's wonderful book _Letters of Credit_ for one view of the details, and a follow-up article published in the APHA journal for the balance of the story.

William and Khaled, thanks. I did not know this. Most interesting.

Aditya