* \ReadFile in MkII vs MkIV
@ 2010-10-16 21:09 Aditya Mahajan
From: Aditya Mahajan @ 2010-10-16 21:09 UTC (permalink / raw)

In MkII, I can say

     \ReadFile{/tmp/filename}

to read a file in /tmp directory. However, in MkIV, that fails because
ReadFile is defined as

\unexpanded\def\ReadFile     #1{\doreadfile{any} {.}{#1}\donothing\donothing}

so it explicitly searches in the . (current) directory.

Bug or feature?

Aditya

* Re: \ReadFile in MkII vs MkIV
@ 2010-10-17 12:50 ` luigi scarso
From: luigi scarso @ 2010-10-17 12:50 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Sat, Oct 16, 2010 at 11:09 PM, Aditya Mahajan <adityam@umich.edu> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> In MkII, I can say
>
>    \ReadFile{/tmp/filename}
>
> to read a file in /tmp directory. However, in MkIV, that fails because
> ReadFile is defined as
>
> \unexpanded\def\ReadFile     #1{\doreadfile{any}
> {.}{#1}\donothing\donothing}
>
> so it explicitly searches in the . (current) directory.
>
> Bug or feature?
What happen if you put a path like
./../../../../../tmp/filename
?
--
luigi

* Re: \ReadFile in MkII vs MkIV
@ 2010-10-17 17:21   ` Aditya Mahajan
From: Aditya Mahajan @ 2010-10-17 17:21 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Sun, 17 Oct 2010, luigi scarso wrote:

> On Sat, Oct 16, 2010 at 11:09 PM, Aditya Mahajan <adityam@umich.edu> wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> In MkII, I can say
>>
>>    \ReadFile{/tmp/filename}
>>
>> to read a file in /tmp directory. However, in MkIV, that fails because
>> ReadFile is defined as
>>
>> \unexpanded\def\ReadFile     #1{\doreadfile{any}
>> {.}{#1}\donothing\donothing}
>>
>> so it explicitly searches in the . (current) directory.
>>
>> Bug or feature?
> What happen if you put a path like
> ./../../../../../tmp/filename

It works, but does not fit my need. I wanted to add an option to the
filter module to allow the user to say:

\setupexternalfilters[directory=$TEMP]

and have all the tmp files created in $TEMP. Having to set this as a
relative path will be really ugly.

I am just looking for macro that takes the filename as a (brace
delimited) parameter and typesets it. I can define one on my own; but I
thought that \ReadFile is already supposed to do that.

It is straight forward to "fix" \ReadFile so that absolute paths work:

\unexpanded\def\readfile     #1{\doreadfile{any} \empty{#1}}
\unexpanded\def\ReadFile     #1{\doreadfile{any} \empty{#1}\donothing\donothing}

I just wondering if the current behavior is a design decision or an
oversight.

Aditya

* Re: \ReadFile in MkII vs MkIV
@ 2010-10-17 17:27     ` Aditya Mahajan
From: Aditya Mahajan @ 2010-10-17 17:27 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Sun, 17 Oct 2010, Aditya Mahajan wrote:

> I am just looking for macro that takes the filename as a (brace delimited)
> parameter and typesets it.

Err.. I mean \inputs it.

Aditya

* Re: \ReadFile in MkII vs MkIV
@ 2010-10-17 17:28     ` Wolfgang Schuster
From: Wolfgang Schuster @ 2010-10-17 17:28 UTC (permalink / raw)

Am 17.10.2010 um 19:21 schrieb Aditya Mahajan:

> It works, but does not fit my need. I wanted to add an option to the filter module to allow the user to say:
>
> \setupexternalfilters[directory=$TEMP]
>
> and have all the tmp files created in $TEMP. Having to set this as a relative path will be really ugly.
>
> I am just looking for macro that takes the filename as a (brace delimited) parameter and typesets it. I can define one on my own; but I thought that \ReadFile is already supposed to do that.
>
> It is straight forward to "fix" \ReadFile so that absolute paths work:
>
> \unexpanded\def\readfile     #1{\doreadfile{any} \empty{#1}}
> \unexpanded\def\ReadFile     #1{\doreadfile{any} \empty{#1}\donothing\donothing}
>
> I just wondering if the current behavior is a design decision or an oversight.

What i get from the comments in the source is that \readfile looks for the requested file
in the current directory, the parent directories and the tex directory and \ReadFile is
a alternative form for \readfile without the second and third argument.

You can define your own command \ReadFilter which is based in \readsetfile or \readfixfile.

Wolfgang

* Re: \ReadFile in MkII vs MkIV
@ 2010-10-17 17:58       ` Aditya Mahajan
From: Aditya Mahajan @ 2010-10-17 17:58 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Sun, 17 Oct 2010, Wolfgang Schuster wrote:

> Am 17.10.2010 um 19:21 schrieb Aditya Mahajan:
>
>> It works, but does not fit my need. I wanted to add an option to the filter module to allow the user to say:
>>
>> \setupexternalfilters[directory=$TEMP]
>>
>> and have all the tmp files created in $TEMP. Having to set this as a relative path will be really ugly.
>>
>> I am just looking for macro that takes the filename as a (brace delimited) parameter and typesets it. I can define one on my own; but I thought that \ReadFile is already supposed to do that.
>>
>> It is straight forward to "fix" \ReadFile so that absolute paths work:
>>
>> \unexpanded\def\readfile     #1{\doreadfile{any} \empty{#1}}
>> \unexpanded\def\ReadFile     #1{\doreadfile{any} \empty{#1}\donothing\donothing}
>>
>> I just wondering if the current behavior is a design decision or an oversight.
>
> What i get from the comments in the source is that \readfile looks for the requested file
> in the current directory, the parent directories and the tex directory and \ReadFile is
> a alternative form for \readfile without the second and third argument.

Then the MkII implementation is wrong because it allows absolute paths.

> You can define your own command \ReadFilter which is based in \readsetfile or \readfixfile.

I wanted something that will work consistently in MkII and MkIV. I can do:

\doifmodeelse{\s!mkii}
   {\let\ReadFilter\ReadFile}
   {\def\ReadFilter#1{\doreadfile{any}\empty{#1}\donothing\donothing}}

but, I wanted to avoid such things if possible :-/

(BTW, why is system mode *mkii not set in MkII?)

Aditya

* Re: \ReadFile in MkII vs MkIV
@ 2010-10-17 18:06         ` Wolfgang Schuster
From: Wolfgang Schuster @ 2010-10-17 18:06 UTC (permalink / raw)

Am 17.10.2010 um 19:58 schrieb Aditya Mahajan:

> I wanted something that will work consistently in MkII and MkIV. I can do:
>
> \doifmodeelse{\s!mkii}
>  {\let\ReadFilter\ReadFile}
>  {\def\ReadFilter#1{\doreadfile{any}\empty{#1}\donothing\donothing}}
>
> but, I wanted to avoid such things if possible :-/

Does this work:

\def\ReadFilter#1%
  {\readsetfile{/tmp/}{#1}\donothing\donothing}

> (BTW, why is system mode *mkii not set in MkII?)

Maybe Hans forgot it for mkii but it doesn’t matter whether mkii/mkiv is a normal mode or a system mode.

Wolfgang

* Re: \ReadFile in MkII vs MkIV
@ 2010-10-17 18:54           ` Aditya Mahajan
From: Aditya Mahajan @ 2010-10-17 18:54 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Sun, 17 Oct 2010, Wolfgang Schuster wrote:

> Am 17.10.2010 um 19:58 schrieb Aditya Mahajan:
>
>> I wanted something that will work consistently in MkII and MkIV. I can do:
>>
>> \doifmodeelse{\s!mkii}
>>  {\let\ReadFilter\ReadFile}
>>  {\def\ReadFilter#1{\doreadfile{any}\empty{#1}\donothing\donothing}}
>>
>> but, I wanted to avoid such things if possible :-/
>
> Does this work:
>
> \def\ReadFilter#1%
>  {\readsetfile{/tmp/}{#1}\donothing\donothing}

Yes, for both MkII and MkIV. But this still does not fit the requirement
of my module.

\setupexternalfilters
   [directory=,
    outputfile=~/output/\externalfilterinputfile.tex,
    readcommand=\ReadFilter]

will fail. (The above will generate all the *-*.tmp files in current
directory, which can be purged by passing --purge. The output files are
generated in ~/output directory for future reference. But \ReadFilter
cannot read the file.

I think that I will go with separate definitions for MkII and MkIV, or
perhaps even redefine \ReadFile just before the read function is defined.

>> (BTW, why is system mode *mkii not set in MkII?)
>
> Maybe Hans forgot it for mkii but it doesn’t matter whether mkii/mkiv is a normal mode or a system mode.

IIRC, system modes cannot be reset using \(enable|disable)mode.

Aditya

* Re: \ReadFile in MkII vs MkIV
@ 2010-10-17 20:15         ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2010-10-17 20:15 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 17-10-2010 7:58, Aditya Mahajan wrote:
> On Sun, 17 Oct 2010, Wolfgang Schuster wrote:
>

>> Am 17.10.2010 um 19:21 schrieb Aditya Mahajan:
>>
>>> It works, but does not fit my need. I wanted to add an option to the
>>> filter module to allow the user to say:
>>>
>>> \setupexternalfilters[directory=$TEMP]
>>>
>>> and have all the tmp files created in $TEMP. Having to set this as a
>>> relative path will be really ugly.
>>>
>>> I am just looking for macro that takes the filename as a (brace
>>> delimited) parameter and typesets it. I can define one on my own; but
>>> I thought that \ReadFile is already supposed to do that.
>>>
>>> It is straight forward to "fix" \ReadFile so that absolute paths work:
>>>
>>> \unexpanded\def\readfile #1{\doreadfile{any} \empty{#1}}
>>> \unexpanded\def\ReadFile #1{\doreadfile{any}
>>> \empty{#1}\donothing\donothing}
>>>
>>> I just wondering if the current behavior is a design decision or an
>>> oversight.
>>
>> What i get from the comments in the source is that \readfile looks for
>> the requested file
>> in the current directory, the parent directories and the tex directory
>> and \ReadFile is
>> a alternative form for \readfile without the second and third argument.
>
> Then the MkII implementation is wrong because it allows absolute paths.
>
>> You can define your own command \ReadFilter which is based in
>> \readsetfile or \readfixfile.
>
> I wanted something that will work consistently in MkII and MkIV. I can do:
>
> \doifmodeelse{\s!mkii}
> {\let\ReadFilter\ReadFile}
> {\def\ReadFilter#1{\doreadfile{any}\empty{#1}\donothing\donothing}}
>
> but, I wanted to avoid such things if possible :-/
>
> (BTW, why is system mode *mkii not set in MkII?)

because you can do \doifnotmode{mkiv}

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE
                                              | www.pragma-pod.nl

* Re: \ReadFile in MkII vs MkIV
@ 2010-10-17 20:17             ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2010-10-17 20:17 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 17-10-2010 8:54, Aditya Mahajan wrote:

>> Maybe Hans forgot it for mkii but it doesn’t matter whether mkii/mkiv
>> is a normal mode or a system mode.
>
> IIRC, system modes cannot be reset using \(enable|disable)mode.

there is nothing special about system modes: they just have a * in front
so you can enable and disable them (but of course deep down they can be
set as well)

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE
                                              | www.pragma-pod.nl

* Re: \ReadFile in MkII vs MkIV
@ 2010-10-17 20:50           ` Aditya Mahajan
From: Aditya Mahajan @ 2010-10-17 20:50 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Sun, 17 Oct 2010, Hans Hagen wrote:

> On 17-10-2010 7:58, Aditya Mahajan wrote:
>> (BTW, why is system mode *mkii not set in MkII?)
>
> because you can do \doifnotmode{mkiv}

:)

Documented on the wiki page on modes.

Aditya

* Re: \ReadFile in MkII vs MkIV
@ 2010-10-17 21:02               ` Aditya Mahajan
From: Aditya Mahajan @ 2010-10-17 21:02 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Sun, 17 Oct 2010, Hans Hagen wrote:

> On 17-10-2010 8:54, Aditya Mahajan wrote:
>
>>> Maybe Hans forgot it for mkii but it doesn’t matter whether mkii/mkiv
>>> is a normal mode or a system mode.
>>
>> IIRC, system modes cannot be reset using \(enable|disable)mode.
>
> there is nothing special about system modes: they just have a * in front so
> you can enable and disable them (but of course deep down they can be set as
> well)

OK. So the * is just so that they are not accidently overwritten.

But I do not like the different treatment for MkII:

cont-new.mkii

      \enablemode[mkii]

cont-env.mkiv

       \enablemode[mkiv] \newsystemmode{mkiv} \setsystemmode{mkiv}

One more minor difference to remember.

Aditya

* Re: \ReadFile in MkII vs MkIV
@ 2010-10-17 22:23                 ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2010-10-17 22:23 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 17-10-2010 11:02, Aditya Mahajan wrote:

>>> IIRC, system modes cannot be reset using \(enable|disable)mode.
>>
>> there is nothing special about system modes: they just have a * in
>> front so you can enable and disable them (but of course deep down they
>> can be set as well)
>
> OK. So the * is just so that they are not accidently overwritten.
>
> But I do not like the different treatment for MkII:
>
> cont-new.mkii
>
> \enablemode[mkii]
>
> cont-env.mkiv
>
> \enablemode[mkiv] \newsystemmode{mkiv} \setsystemmode{mkiv}
>
> One more minor difference to remember.

Ah, ok, I can add that to mkii of course (actuallym, it shoul dnot be in
cont-new any longer) ... I just had forgotten that there was a mkii mode
at all.

Hans

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE