* Difference between texexec and context when using indent
@ 2011-04-15 12:11 Cecil Westerhof
From: Cecil Westerhof @ 2011-04-15 12:11 UTC (permalink / raw)

With the following code:
\setupindenting[yes,medium,next]

\starttext

\input knuth

\blank

\input knuth

\stoptext

When using texexec (MKII) the paragraph after the \blank is not
indented. When using context (MKIV) it is. Why this difference?

--
Cecil Westerhof

* Re: Difference between texexec and context when using indent
@ 2011-04-17  9:07 ` Wolfgang Schuster
From: Wolfgang Schuster @ 2011-04-17  9:07 UTC (permalink / raw)

Am 15.04.2011 um 14:11 schrieb Cecil Westerhof:

> With the following code:
> \setupindenting[yes,medium,next]
>
> \starttext
>
> \input knuth
>
> \blank
>
> \input knuth
>
> \stoptext
>
> When using texexec (MKII) the paragraph after the \blank is not
> indented. When using context (MKIV) it is. Why this difference?

And you think it’s better to let \blank behave different dependent
on the indenting settings?

% engine=pdftex

\starttext

\setupindenting[yes,medium,first]

\input knuth

\blank

\input knuth

\page

\setupindenting[yes,medium,next]

\input knuth

\blank

\input knuth

\stoptext

To control whether the next paragraph is indented or not should
better be controlled with by \setupblank and not from \setupindenting.

Wolfgang

* Re: Difference between texexec and context when using indent
@ 2011-04-18  7:24   ` Cecil Westerhof
From: Cecil Westerhof @ 2011-04-18  7:24 UTC (permalink / raw)

2011/4/17 Wolfgang Schuster <schuster.wolfgang@googlemail.com>:
>> With the following code:
>> \setupindenting[yes,medium,next]
>>
>> \starttext
>>
>> \input knuth
>>
>> \blank
>>
>> \input knuth
>>
>> \stoptext
>>
>> When using texexec (MKII) the paragraph after the \blank is not
>> indented. When using context (MKIV) it is. Why this difference?
>

> And you think it’s better to let \blank behave different dependent
> on the indenting settings?
>
> % engine=pdftex
>
> \starttext
>
> \setupindenting[yes,medium,first]
>
> \input knuth
>
> \blank
>
> \input knuth
>
> \page
>
> \setupindenting[yes,medium,next]
>
> \input knuth
>
> \blank
>
> \input knuth
>
> \stoptext
>
> To control whether the next paragraph is indented or not should
> better be controlled with by \setupblank and not from \setupindenting.

I did not know that it could be done with \setupblank. I was told that
I needed to define a \myblank for it.

But still I think it would be good that after a blank there is no indentation.
Firstly: that is the way it works in mkii. Why does mkiv do it differently?
Secondly: You use -in my opinion- next, because the first paragraph is
clear that it is a new paragraph. After a bank (or a flowchart) it is
clear that there starts a new paragraph. So it does not need to be
indented in my opinion.

--

@ 2011-04-18 13:46     ` Wolfgang Schuster
From: Wolfgang Schuster @ 2011-04-18 13:46 UTC (permalink / raw)

Am 18.04.2011 um 09:24 schrieb Cecil Westerhof:

> I did not know that it could be done with \setupblank. I was told that
> I needed to define a \myblank for it.

It isn’t possible to control the indentation with \setupblank but
for me it would be the right command. The only way currently is
to define your own \myblank command.

> But still I think it would be good that after a blank there is no indentation.
> Firstly: that is the way it works in mkii. Why does mkiv do it differently?

It’s not easy to say what’s the correct behavior of \blank should be,
i prefer the mkiv output because it’s same result as when you use \vskip:

\setupindenting[yes,medium]

\starttext

\input knuth

\blank

\input knuth

\vskip\lineheight

\input knuth

\stoptext

> Secondly: You use -in my opinion- next, because the first paragraph is
> clear that it is a new paragraph. After a bank (or a flowchart) it is
> clear that there starts a new paragraph. So it does not need to be
> indented in my opinion.

I showed in my example that \blank indents the following paragraph
only when you use the “first” key for indentation but not with “next”.

It’s also not always so easy to see the start of a new paragraph with
a small vertical distance like in the next example:

\setupindenting[yes,medium]

\starttext

\input knuth

\blank[small]

\input knuth

\stoptext

Wolfgang

* Re: Difference between texexec and context when using indent
@ 2011-04-18 15:13       ` Aditya Mahajan
From: Aditya Mahajan @ 2011-04-18 15:13 UTC (permalink / raw)