* bug in \setuparranging
@ 2011-09-22  6:07 Yue Wang
From: Yue Wang @ 2011-09-22  6:07 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi, Hans:

There's a bug in \setuparranging.

The following case is easy to be understood:

- I try to typeset "zapf" into a A4 landscape paper
- For the final output pdf, I want to rotate all the pages by 270 degrees.

This sounds strange. But it is useful in vertical typesetting of CJK
language. (for example, use xetex font definition's  :vertical feature
to rotate all the fonts used, typeset on normal paper, and rotate the
page back. I certainly hope someday I can use MKIV's muti-dir omega
features, but now it's broken so this is the best way I can find)

The code is listed below:

\setuppapersize[A4,landscape][A4]
\setuppaper     [nx=1,ny=1]
\setuparranging     [XY, rotated, 270]
\setupcolors        [state=start]
\setupbackgrounds   [page][page][background=screen]
\setuppagenumbering [state=stop]

\starttext
\input zapf
\stoptext

The bug:

- in MKIV, it output no pages at all
- in MKII (both xetex and pdftex), the output page is not, however,
A4. but rather a square page with width=height=A4 height.

I hope this bug can be fixed soon.

By the way, are there other ways to rotate pages other than
setuparranging? From my daily use I found setup arranging is pretty
buggy. sometimes it even affects the layout of the contents. So most
time I have to compile a pdf, and than use setup arranging to
rearrange the pdf again to make the contents safe.

Yue Wang

* Re: bug in \setuparranging
@ 2011-09-22  8:54 ` Yue Wang
From: Yue Wang @ 2011-09-22  8:54 UTC (permalink / raw)

I think the bug appears in setup paper size as well:

\setuppapersize[A4,landscape]
\input zapf
\bye

produces the wrong result.

Yue Wang

On Thu, Sep 22, 2011 at 2:07 AM, Yue Wang <yuleopen@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi, Hans:
>
> There's a bug in \setuparranging.
>
> The following case is easy to be understood:
>
> - I try to typeset "zapf" into a A4 landscape paper
> - For the final output pdf, I want to rotate all the pages by 270 degrees.
>
> This sounds strange. But it is useful in vertical typesetting of CJK
> language. (for example, use xetex font definition's  :vertical feature
> to rotate all the fonts used, typeset on normal paper, and rotate the
> page back. I certainly hope someday I can use MKIV's muti-dir omega
> features, but now it's broken so this is the best way I can find)
>
> The code is listed below:
>
> \setuppapersize[A4,landscape][A4]
> \setuppaper     [nx=1,ny=1]
> \setuparranging     [XY, rotated, 270]
> \setupcolors        [state=start]
> \setupbackgrounds   [page][page][background=screen]
> \setuppagenumbering [state=stop]
>
> \starttext
> \input zapf
> \stoptext
>

> The bug:
>
> - in MKIV, it output no pages at all
> - in MKII (both xetex and pdftex), the output page is not, however,
> A4. but rather a square page with width=height=A4 height.
>
> I hope this bug can be fixed soon.
>
> By the way, are there other ways to rotate pages other than
> setuparranging? From my daily use I found setup arranging is pretty
> buggy. sometimes it even affects the layout of the contents. So most
> time I have to compile a pdf, and than use setup arranging to
> rearrange the pdf again to make the contents safe.
>
> Yue Wang

* Re: bug in \setuparranging
@ 2011-09-22 16:38   ` Aditya Mahajan
From: Aditya Mahajan @ 2011-09-22 16:38 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Thu, 22 Sep 2011, Yue Wang wrote:

> I think the bug appears in setup paper size as well:
>
> \setuppapersize[A4,landscape]
> \input zapf
> \bye
> produces the wrong result.

What do you mean by "wrong result".

\setuppapersize[A4,landscape]

\starttext
\input zapf
\stoptext

works fine (ver: 2011.09.20). See attached pdf.

Aditya

[-- Attachment #2: Type: APPLICATION/pdf, Size: 8870 bytes --]

* Re: bug in \setuparranging
@ 2011-09-22 20:34   ` Yue Wang
From: Yue Wang @ 2011-09-22 20:34 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi, Aditya:

>What do you mean by "wrong result".
>
>\setuppapersize[A4,landscape]
>
>\starttext
>\input zapf
>\stoptext
>
>works fine (ver: 2011.09.20). See attached pdf.

I know. MKIV works in this short sample.

but XeTeX and pdfTeX don't, as my first mail indicated.

See attached pdf

And, MKIV is buggy too. try the first mail's example (after upgrading
to the latest version it does not blank page anymore. but it's still
wrong).

Yue Wang

[-- Attachment #2: Untitled-2.pdf --]

* Re: bug in \setuparranging
@ 2011-09-22 20:46     ` Aditya Mahajan
From: Aditya Mahajan @ 2011-09-22 20:46 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Thu, 22 Sep 2011, Yue Wang wrote:

> Hi, Aditya:
>
>> What do you mean by "wrong result".
>>
>> \setuppapersize[A4,landscape]
>>
>> \starttext
>> \input zapf
>> \stoptext
>>
>> works fine (ver: 2011.09.20). See attached pdf.
>
> I know. MKIV works in this short sample.
>
> but XeTeX and pdfTeX don't, as my first mail indicated.
>
> See attached pdf

I haven't investigated what is going wrong, but a quick fix is

\setuppapersize[A4,landscape][A4,landscape]

> And, MKIV is buggy too. try the first mail's example (after upgrading
> to the latest version it does not blank page anymore. but it's still
> wrong).

I don't understand the arranging code, but doesn't the following also do
what you want (without the arranging)

\setuppapersize[A4,landscape,rotated,270][A4]

Aditya

* Re: bug in \setuparranging
@ 2011-09-22 20:59       ` Yue Wang
From: Yue Wang @ 2011-09-22 20:59 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi, Aditya and Hans:

On Thu, Sep 22, 2011 at 4:46 PM, Aditya Mahajan <adityam@umich.edu> wrote:
> I haven't investigated what is going wrong, but a quick fix is
>
> \setuppapersize[A4,landscape][A4,landscape]
>
> I don't understand the arranging code, but doesn't the following also do
> what you want (without the arranging)
>
> \setuppapersize[A4,landscape,rotated,270][A4]

Yes, I know these tricks. A quick workaround to this problem is to use the

\setuppapersize[A4,landscape][A4,landscape]

and then add either

%\pdfpagesattr{/Rotate 90} --pdftex, luatex
%\special{pdf:put @pages <</Rotate 90>>}  --xetex, dvipdfmx

or the more generic way:

\doPDFpagesattribute{/Rotate 90}

And that did fix my problem temporary.

But things are not going as expected, and it's better to fix these
bugs, isn't it?

Yue Wang

* Re: bug in \setuparranging
@ 2011-09-22 21:04         ` Aditya Mahajan
From: Aditya Mahajan @ 2011-09-22 21:04 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Thu, 22 Sep 2011, Yue Wang wrote:

> Hi, Aditya and Hans:
>
> On Thu, Sep 22, 2011 at 4:46 PM, Aditya Mahajan <adityam@umich.edu> wrote:
>> I haven't investigated what is going wrong, but a quick fix is
>>
>> \setuppapersize[A4,landscape][A4,landscape]
>>
>> I don't understand the arranging code, but doesn't the following also do
>> what you want (without the arranging)
>>
>> \setuppapersize[A4,landscape,rotated,270][A4]
>>

> Yes, I know these tricks. A quick workaround to this problem is to use the
>
> \setuppapersize[A4,landscape][A4,landscape]
>
> and then add either
>
> %\pdfpagesattr{/Rotate 90} --pdftex, luatex
> %\special{pdf:put @pages <</Rotate 90>>}  --xetex, dvipdfmx
>
> or the more generic way:
>
> \doPDFpagesattribute{/Rotate 90}
>
> And that did fix my problem temporary.
>
> But things are not going as expected, and it's better to fix these
> bugs, isn't it?

Sure.

But I was also answering you second question about rotating a page without
using arranging.

Aditya

* Re: bug in \setuparranging
@ 2011-10-02  2:10           ` Yue Wang
From: Yue Wang @ 2011-10-02  2:10 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi, Hans:

this bug is still not solved.

Yue Wang

On Thu, Sep 22, 2011 at 5:04 PM, Aditya Mahajan <adityam@umich.edu> wrote:
> On Thu, 22 Sep 2011, Yue Wang wrote:
>
>> Hi, Aditya and Hans:
>>
>> On Thu, Sep 22, 2011 at 4:46 PM, Aditya Mahajan <adityam@umich.edu> wrote:
>>>
>>> I haven't investigated what is going wrong, but a quick fix is
>>>
>>> \setuppapersize[A4,landscape][A4,landscape]
>>>
>>> I don't understand the arranging code, but doesn't the following also do
>>> what you want (without the arranging)
>>>
>>> \setuppapersize[A4,landscape,rotated,270][A4]
>>>

>> Yes, I know these tricks. A quick workaround to this problem is to use the
>>
>> \setuppapersize[A4,landscape][A4,landscape]
>>
>> and then add either
>>
>> %\pdfpagesattr{/Rotate 90} --pdftex, luatex
>> %\special{pdf:put @pages <</Rotate 90>>}  --xetex, dvipdfmx
>>
>> or the more generic way:
>>
>> \doPDFpagesattribute{/Rotate 90}
>>
>> And that did fix my problem temporary.
>>
>> But things are not going as expected, and it's better to fix these
>> bugs, isn't it?
>
> Sure.
>
> But I was also answering you second question about rotating a page without
> using arranging.
>
> Aditya

* Re: bug in \setuparranging
@ 2011-10-02  7:46             ` Wolfgang Schuster
From: Wolfgang Schuster @ 2011-10-02  7:46 UTC (permalink / raw)

Am 02.10.2011 um 04:10 schrieb Yue Wang:

> Hi, Hans:
>
> this bug is still not solved.

It’s a feature to prevent impossible settings.

%\setuppapersize[A5][A4]
\setuppapersize[A4][A5]
\starttext \showframe
A5 or A4?
\stoptext

When you try to use a page (e.g. A4) which is larger then the paper (e.g. A5) context use the larger value for the papersize.

Maybe it makes sense to disable this mechanism when one arranges the pages but then \setuppapersize has to bet set after \setuparranging.

Wolfgang

* Re: bug in \setuparranging
@ 2011-10-03 17:15             ` Yue Wang
From: Yue Wang @ 2011-10-03 17:15 UTC (permalink / raw)

btw, is there some way to rotate all the glyphs in a given range (like
the xetex's font:vertical feature)
vrt2 doesn't seems to work in this way.

On Sat, Oct 1, 2011 at 10:10 PM, Yue Wang <yuleopen@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi, Hans:
>
> this bug is still not solved.
>
> Yue Wang
>
> On Thu, Sep 22, 2011 at 5:04 PM, Aditya Mahajan <adityam@umich.edu> wrote:
>> On Thu, 22 Sep 2011, Yue Wang wrote:
>>
>>> Hi, Aditya and Hans:

>>> Yes, I know these tricks. A quick workaround to this problem is to use the
>>>
>>> \setuppapersize[A4,landscape][A4,landscape]
>>>
>>> and then add either
>>>
>>> %\pdfpagesattr{/Rotate 90} --pdftex, luatex
>>> %\special{pdf:put @pages <</Rotate 90>>}  --xetex, dvipdfmx
>>>
>>> or the more generic way:
>>>
>>> \doPDFpagesattribute{/Rotate 90}
>>>
>>> And that did fix my problem temporary.
>>>
>>> But things are not going as expected, and it's better to fix these
>>> bugs, isn't it?
>>
>> Sure.
>>
>> But I was also answering you second question about rotating a page without
>> using arranging.
>>
>> Aditya

* Re: bug in \setuparranging
@ 2011-10-03 17:49               ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2011-10-03 17:49 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 3-10-2011 19:15, Yue Wang wrote:
> btw, is there some way to rotate all the glyphs in a given range (like
> the xetex's font:vertical feature)
> vrt2 doesn't seems to work in this way.

I never looked into that (so an example text + font is needed).

Hans

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE
                                              | www.pragma-pod.nl

* Re: bug in \setuparranging
@ 2011-10-03 18:07               ` Wolfgang Schuster
From: Wolfgang Schuster @ 2011-10-03 18:07 UTC (permalink / raw)

Am 03.10.2011 um 19:15 schrieb Yue Wang:

> btw, is there some way to rotate all the glyphs in a given range (like
> the xetex's font:vertical feature)
> vrt2 doesn't seems to work in this way.

Does your document only contain text or also graphics, tables etc.?

Wolfgang

* Re: bug in \setuparranging
@ 2011-10-03 18:51                 ` Yue Wang
From: Yue Wang @ 2011-10-03 18:51 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi, Hans

Here's an example of vertical typesetting in XeTeX.

%tex=xetex
\setuppapersize[A4,landscape,rotated, 270]
\definefontsynonym [song][name:AdobeSongStd-Light\xetexcolon vertical]
\definefont[Song][song at 14pt]
\starttext
\Song 你好
\stoptext

In this case all glyphs in AdobeSongStd-Light are rotated 90 degrees
via xetex vertical, and rotated back via paper definition.

I'm wondering how to do that in LuaTeX. Also, in vertical typesetting,
latin glyphs do not need to be rotated.

I'm doing this since omega multi-dir is not quite working at least for
the moment.

Yue