* metapost to pdf on the fly
@ 2011-09-29 18:37 Meer, H. van der
From: Meer, H. van der @ 2011-09-29 18:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: NTG ConTeXt

I would like to generate metapost figures in separate pdf-files (in some convenient directory, they are reused elsewhere). This as part of a project structure. I know that on a separate run such a pdf can be generated with:
context figurefile running on input
  \input some-metapost-inclusions
  \starttext
  \startMPpage
  ..
  \stopMPpage
  \stoptext

But the idea is to do it on the fly while typesetting a project (using mode=*first to prevent further iterations):
..
\component figurefile
..
And in the figurefile
  \startcomponent figurefile
  \environment some-metapost-inclusions
  \starttext
  .. BUT THEN WHAT?

As such it is not sufficient for the goal proposed. Can this be done at all?

Hans van der Meer

* Re: metapost to pdf on the fly
@ 2011-09-29 19:21 ` Aditya Mahajan
From: Aditya Mahajan @ 2011-09-29 19:21 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Thu, 29 Sep 2011, Meer, H. van der wrote:

> I would like to generate metapost figures in separate pdf-files (in some convenient directory, they are reused elsewhere). This as part of a project structure. I know that on a separate run such a pdf can be generated with:
> context figurefile running on input
>  \input some-metapost-inclusions
>  \starttext
>  \startMPpage
>  ..
>  \stopMPpage
>  \stoptext
>
> But the idea is to do it on the fly while typesetting a project (using mode=*first to prevent further iterations):
> ..
> \component figurefile
> ..
> And in the figurefile
>  \startcomponent figurefile
>  \environment some-metapost-inclusions
>  \starttext
>  .. BUT THEN WHAT?
>
> As such it is not sufficient for the goal proposed. Can this be done at all?

What I usually do is have all the figures in separate buffers:

\startenvironment figures

\startbuffer[fig-1]
\stopbuffer

\stopenvironment

and in the main file

\environment figures

\starttext
\processMPbuffer[fig-1]
\stoptext

This way you can also combine multiple figures using

\processMPbuffer[fig-common,fig-1]

etc.

The metapost processing is fast enough that there is no noticable speed
difference.

Aditya

* Re: metapost to pdf on the fly
@ 2011-10-03  7:05   ` Meer, H. van der
From: Meer, H. van der @ 2011-10-03  7:05 UTC (permalink / raw)

I am afraid I don't completely understand this. Doing:
\startbuffer[fig-1]
\startMPcode
draw origin-(20,0) .. origin+(0,20) .. origin+(20,0) .. origin+(0,-20) .. cycle withcolor darkgreen;
label(textext("Test"),origin);
\stopMPcode
\stopbuffer
\starttext
\processMPbuffer[fig-1]
\stoptext

I get the error:
! Argument of \dostartMPpositiongraphic has an extra }.

system          > tex > error on line 8 in file onfly.tex: Argument of  ...

 1     \startbuffer[fig-1]
 2     \startMPcode
 3     draw origin-(20,0) .. origin+(0,20) .. origin+(20,0) .. origin+(0,-20) .. cycle withcolor darkgreen;
 4     label(textext("Test"),origin);
 5     \stopMPcode
 6     \stopbuffer
 7     \starttext
 8 >>  \processMPbuffer[fig-1]
..

<inserted text>
                \par
<to be read again>
                   }
\processMPgraphic ...le ;\!!es , \MPaskedfigure )}
                                                  }\egroup \placeMPgraphic \...
\doprocessMPbuffer ...("\currentMPgraphicname ")}}
                                                  \endMPgraphicgroup
l.8 \processMPbuffer[fig-1]

Hans van der Meer

On 29 sep. 2011, at 21:21, Aditya Mahajan wrote:

> On Thu, 29 Sep 2011, Meer, H. van der wrote:
>
>> I would like to generate metapost figures in separate pdf-files (in some convenient directory, they are reused elsewhere). This as part of a project structure. I know that on a separate run such a pdf can be generated with:
>> context figurefile running on input
>> \input some-metapost-inclusions
>> \starttext
>> \startMPpage
>> ..
>> \stopMPpage
>> \stoptext
>>
>> But the idea is to do it on the fly while typesetting a project (using mode=*first to prevent further iterations):
>> ..
>> \component figurefile
>> ..
>> And in the figurefile
>> \startcomponent figurefile
>> \environment some-metapost-inclusions
>> \starttext
>> .. BUT THEN WHAT?
>>
>> As such it is not sufficient for the goal proposed. Can this be done at all?
>
> What I usually do is have all the figures in separate buffers:
>
> \startenvironment figures
>
> \startbuffer[fig-1]
> \stopbuffer
>
> \stopenvironment
>
> and in the main file
>
> \environment figures
>
> \starttext
> \processMPbuffer[fig-1]
> \stoptext
>
> This way you can also combine multiple figures using
>
> \processMPbuffer[fig-common,fig-1]
>
> etc.
>
> The metapost processing is fast enough that there is no noticable speed difference.
>
> Aditya

* Re: metapost to pdf on the fly
@ 2011-10-03  7:09     ` Wolfgang Schuster
From: Wolfgang Schuster @ 2011-10-03  7:09 UTC (permalink / raw)

Am 03.10.2011 um 09:05 schrieb Meer, H. van der:

> I am afraid I don't completely understand this. Doing:
> \startbuffer[fig-1]
> \startMPcode
> draw origin-(20,0) .. origin+(0,20) .. origin+(20,0) .. origin+(0,-20) .. cycle withcolor darkgreen;
> label(textext("Test"),origin);
> \stopMPcode
> \stopbuffer
> \starttext
> \processMPbuffer[fig-1]
> \stoptext

This works:

\startbuffer[fig-1]
draw (-20,0) .. (0,20) .. (20,0) .. (0,-20) .. cycle withcolor \MPcolor{darkgreen};
label(textext("Test"),origin);
\stopbuffer

\starttext
\processMPbuffer[fig-1]
\stoptext

Wolfgang

* Re: metapost to pdf on the fly
@ 2011-10-03  8:12       ` Meer, H. van der
From: Meer, H. van der @ 2011-10-03  8:12 UTC (permalink / raw)

Thanks, this works indeed. But I hoped to be able to produce in this manner at one stroke a series of separate figures, each in its own pdf file. Or is this an impossible action?

Hans van der Meer

On 3 okt. 2011, at 09:09, Wolfgang Schuster wrote:

> Am 03.10.2011 um 09:05 schrieb Meer, H. van der:
>
>> I am afraid I don't completely understand this. Doing:
>> \startbuffer[fig-1]
>> \startMPcode
>> draw origin-(20,0) .. origin+(0,20) .. origin+(20,0) .. origin+(0,-20) .. cycle withcolor darkgreen;
>> label(textext("Test"),origin);
>> \stopMPcode
>> \stopbuffer
>> \starttext
>> \processMPbuffer[fig-1]
>> \stoptext
>
> This works:
>
> \startbuffer[fig-1]
> draw (-20,0) .. (0,20) .. (20,0) .. (0,-20) .. cycle withcolor \MPcolor{darkgreen};
> label(textext("Test"),origin);
> \stopbuffer
>
> \starttext
> \processMPbuffer[fig-1]
> \stoptext
>
> Wolfgang

* Re: metapost to pdf on the fly
@ 2011-10-03  9:33         ` Mojca Miklavec
From: Mojca Miklavec @ 2011-10-03  9:33 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Mon, Oct 3, 2011 at 10:12, Meer, H. van der wrote:
> Thanks, this works indeed. But I hoped to be able to produce in this manner at one stroke a series of separate figures, each in its own pdf file. Or is this an impossible action?

Then create file.mp with

beginfig(1);
... metapost code ...
endfig;