* enumeration numbering in the margin, title in body text
@ 2012-03-08 10:49 Tobias Columbus
From: Tobias Columbus @ 2012-03-08 10:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

Hi all,

I am new to ConTeXt and asked myself if it is possible to have only
the number of an enumeration in the margin and the title in `serried`
position. Here is an example of what I think:

margin  | text
---------------------------
        | blah blah
        | blah blah
     1.1| Definition (something): blah

     1.2| Lemma: blah

After digging a while in the documentation and code, I came to the
conclusion that this is currently not possible.
Then I tried some fiddling in the context code and this directly leads
to my second question: I modified the file strc-des.mkiv.
However, the changes seem to be ignored by my context binary. What
did I do wrong? I also tried context --generate, but that also did not i
make context aware of my changes.

Any help would be appreciated
Tobias

* Re: enumeration numbering in the margin, title in body text
@ 2012-03-08 11:10 ` Marco
From: Marco @ 2012-03-08 11:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

On 2012-03-08 Tobias Columbus <tobias.columbus@googlemail.com> wrote:

> I am  new to ConTeXt  and asked myself if  it is possible  to have
> only the number  of an enumeration in the margin  and the title in
> `serried` position.

\setupitemize [inmargin]

> Then I tried  some fiddling in the context code  and this directly
> leads to  my second question:  I modified the  file strc-des.mkiv.
> However, the changes seem to be ignored by my context binary. What
> did I do wrong? I also tried context --generate, but that also did
> not i make context aware of my changes.

You have to recreate the format as well:

context --generate && context --make

Regards

Marco

* Re: enumeration numbering in the margin, title in body text
@ 2012-03-08 17:35   ` Wolfgang Schuster
From: Wolfgang Schuster @ 2012-03-08 17:35 UTC (permalink / raw)

Am 08.03.2012 um 12:10 schrieb Marco:

> On 2012-03-08 Tobias Columbus <tobias.columbus@googlemail.com> wrote:
>
>> I am  new to ConTeXt  and asked myself if  it is possible  to have
>> only the number  of an enumeration in the margin  and the title in
>> `serried` position.
>
> \setupitemize [inmargin]
>
>> Then I tried  some fiddling in the context code  and this directly
>> leads to  my second question:  I modified the  file strc-des.mkiv.

The enumeration code is in strc-itm.mkvi, the file strc-des.mkvi (or strc-des.mkiv in older
versions) is for the description code.

>> However, the changes seem to be ignored by my context binary. What
>> did I do wrong? I also tried context --generate, but that also did
>> not i make context aware of my changes.
>
> You have to recreate the format as well:
>
> context --generate && context --make

You need “context --generate” only when you add new files.

Wolfgang

* Re: enumeration numbering in the margin, title in body text
@ 2012-03-08 19:50     ` Aditya Mahajan
From: Aditya Mahajan @ 2012-03-08 19:50 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Thu, 8 Mar 2012, Wolfgang Schuster wrote:

> Am 08.03.2012 um 12:10 schrieb Marco:
>
>> On 2012-03-08 Tobias Columbus <tobias.columbus@googlemail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> I am  new to ConTeXt  and asked myself if  it is possible  to have
>>> only the number  of an enumeration in the margin  and the title in
>>> `serried` position.
>>
>> \setupitemize [inmargin]
>>
>>> Then I tried  some fiddling in the context code  and this directly
>>> leads to  my second question:  I modified the  file strc-des.mkiv.
>
> The enumeration code is in strc-itm.mkvi, the file strc-des.mkvi (or strc-des.mkiv in older
> versions) is for the description code.

@Wolfgang: You are mixing enumeration and item groups. The new enumeration
code is in strc-enu.mkvi.

@Tobias: You can try playing around with titlecommand and numbercommand
parameters.

Aditya

* Re: enumeration numbering in the margin, title in body text
@ 2012-03-08 19:56       ` Wolfgang Schuster
From: Wolfgang Schuster @ 2012-03-08 19:56 UTC (permalink / raw)

Am 08.03.2012 um 20:50 schrieb Aditya Mahajan:

> On Thu, 8 Mar 2012, Wolfgang Schuster wrote:

>>> \setupitemize [inmargin]

>> The enumeration code is in strc-itm.mkvi, the file strc-des.mkvi (or strc-des.mkiv in older
>> versions) is for the description code.
>
> @Wolfgang: You are mixing enumeration and item groups. The new enumeration code is in strc-enu.mkvi.

D’oh!

> @Tobias: You can try playing around with titlecommand and numbercommand parameters.

Or simply use inmargin or leftmargin for the alternative key.

Wolfgang

* Re: enumeration numbering in the margin, title in body text
@ 2012-03-09 18:05 ` Wolfgang Schuster
From: Wolfgang Schuster @ 2012-03-09 18:05 UTC (permalink / raw)

Am 08.03.2012 um 11:49 schrieb Tobias Columbus:

> Hi all,
>
> I am new to ConTeXt and asked myself if it is possible to have only
> the number of an enumeration in the margin and the title in `serried`
> position. Here is an example of what I think:
>
> margin  | text
> ---------------------------
>        | blah blah
>        | blah blah
>     1.1| Definition (something): blah
>     1.2| Lemma: blah
>
> After digging a while in the documentation and code, I came to the
> conclusion that this is currently not possible.
> Then I tried some fiddling in the context code and this directly leads
> to my second question: I modified the file strc-des.mkiv.
> However, the changes seem to be ignored by my context binary. What
> did I do wrong? I also tried context --generate, but that also did not i
> make context aware of my changes.

You can use the annotation module:

\usemodule[annotation]

\define[2]\EnumerationCommand
  {\inleft[scope=local,style=normal]{\placeannotationnumber}%
   \placeannotationtext\doifsomething{\placeannotationtitle}{\space(\placeannotationtitle)}:\space
   \placeannotationcontent}

\defineannotation[definition][text=Definition,alternative=command,command=\EnumerationCommand,prefixstopper=.]
\defineannotation[lemma][definition][text=Lemma,counter=definition]

\starttext

\chapter{Test}

blah blah
blah blah

\definition[title=something]{blah}

\lemma{blah}

\stoptext

Wolfgang

* Re: enumeration numbering in the margin, title in body text
@ 2012-03-10 11:35   ` Tobias Columbus
From: Tobias Columbus @ 2012-03-10 11:35 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Fri, Mar 09, 2012 at 07:05:55PM +0100, Wolfgang Schuster wrote:

> Am 08.03.2012 um 11:49 schrieb Tobias Columbus:
>
> > Hi all,
> >
> > I am new to ConTeXt and asked myself if it is possible to have only
> > the number of an enumeration in the margin and the title in `serried`
> > position. Here is an example of what I think:
> >
> > margin  | text
> > ---------------------------
> >        | blah blah
> >        | blah blah
> >     1.1| Definition (something): blah
> >     1.2| Lemma: blah
> >
> > After digging a while in the documentation and code, I came to the
> > conclusion that this is currently not possible.
> > Then I tried some fiddling in the context code and this directly leads
> > to my second question: I modified the file strc-des.mkiv.
> > However, the changes seem to be ignored by my context binary. What
> > did I do wrong? I also tried context --generate, but that also did not i
> > make context aware of my changes.
>

> You can use the annotation module:
>
> \usemodule[annotation]
>
> \define[2]\EnumerationCommand
>   {\inleft[scope=local,style=normal]{\placeannotationnumber}%
>    \placeannotationtext\doifsomething{\placeannotationtitle}{\space(\placeannotationtitle)}:\space
>    \placeannotationcontent}
>
> \defineannotation[definition][text=Definition,alternative=command,command=\EnumerationCommand,prefixstopper=.]
> \defineannotation[lemma][definition][text=Lemma,counter=definition]
>
> \starttext
>
> \chapter{Test}
>
> blah blah
> blah blah
>
> \definition[title=something]{blah}
>
> \lemma{blah}
>
> \stoptext
>
> Wolfgang

Hi,

The annotation module works perfect. This is exactly what I thought
of.

Thanks!
Tobias